Buying Steam games on eBay; is it safe?

dizmo

So this is probably a pretty basic question, but I hardly ever use Steam so I'd like to make sure before I purchase.

There's a seller on eBay that has the game I want, as a digital download, via Steam.

Is it fine for me to purchase it from him? I'd buy it right from Steam, but it's $40 there, and only $14 on eBay. I refuse to pay $40 for an almost three year old game.

Not only that, but he's in the UK. I can still download that in Canada, yes?

I imagine it makes absolutely no difference where I buy it from, but I have seen stranger things.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is just me: I don't buy digital goods from resellers on Ebay or anything like that. Too high of a chance to get scammed, then you have to file a report. You may get your money back, but it's just too much work and a waste of your time to take that chance, IMO.

I imagine it makes absolutely no difference where I buy it from, but I have seen stranger things.

It matters what region the game is for, not where you get the said game. Although I wouldn't go for it for reasons @Kloaked has mentioned.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

no

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I don't trust anything digital unless it is from the likes of Steam, Origin, Digikeys, GoG and so on. They need to be a trusted source. Even if the seller has 1,000+ ratings that are positive. I wouldn't want to take the risk. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Nope, there are way too many scams with cd keys and in case you have your money stolen, Valve won't do anything about it.

On the other hand: yes some games can be bought from russian resellers for a ridiculous price. To be sure buy only from trusted sellers or use sites like http://isthereanydeal.com/ to see which online store is selling it for the lowest price D:

I've bought steam codes from eBay and was fine with mine. However, do NOT buy accounts. They're most likely stolen or will be closed by steam....

eBay also doesn't cover digital goods, so if it is a scam, they'll do jack to help you. 

I would say no. Use Humble Bundle, the Steam Store, Origin, GoG,

and if things get bad, maybe even

UPlay *shudders*

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

So this is probably a pretty basic question, but I hardly ever use Steam so I'd like to make sure before I purchase.

There's a seller on eBay that has the game I want, as a digital download, via Steam.

Is it fine for me to purchase it from him? I'd buy it right from Steam, but it's $40 there, and only $14 on eBay. I refuse to pay $40 for an almost three year old game.

Not only that, but he's in the UK. I can still download that in Canada, yes?

I would recommend you to look at g2a.com for your game. It is far more reliable than ebay.

I would recommend you to look at g2a.com for your game. It is far more reliable than ebay.

What he said.

Plus G2A gives you the option to use G2A Shield which add roughly $1.50 to the price and ensures you get a valid key or gives you a refund.

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

What he said.

Plus G2A gives you the option to use G2A Shield which add roughly $1.50 to the price and ensures you get a valid key or gives you a refund.

Thanks! Didn't even know about that site. They have it for the same price including that validation security, so I'll definitely grab it from there.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Thanks! Didn't even know about that site. They have it for the same price including that validation security, so I'll definitely grab it from there.

You should definetely check g2a before buying a game. You can save alot from buying on g2a

I am quite sure your not allowed to sell digital goods on ebay

Its all about those volumetric clouds