4K - Monitor or TV

William12h

So what would you think is best for: Gaming, Multi Media, Movies.

Why? in Detail would be Appreciated

Any recommendations?

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

tv for multimedia and movies. and some games with a controller. why ? because i won`t watch a movie or a tv series on a monitor

A monitor if you don't plan on doing any of that on the couch. A tv if you do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A monitor if you don't plan on doing any of that on the couch. A tv if you do.

totally agree :)

I call BS on myself ;-)  :  Well TVs often don't have 60Hz, and if they do, TVs tend to have much higher input lag and response times.

PC Monitors are usually much faster at both, having 60Hz and quick response. BUT there are of course bad PC monitors and good TVs, although those good TVs are VERY expensive and I would not buy one at the moment. Bad PC monitors are the Dell 2815Q. It only has 30Hz, which is crap for gaming.

So my recommendation is either the ASUS PB287Q or the Samsung U28D590D. Both are similar in performance, have good colors for TN panels and have quick response times as well as 60Hz via DisplayPort. The PB287Q has a better stand, which gives you better ergonomics. If you don't care about that, go with the Samsung and you should be happy. If you have some money to burn, go with the PB287Q because honestly I think that stand is a HUGE selling point.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

There is a 28" 4k monitor for £500 ive been considering. but i like to watch alot of hd movies and when 4k movies pick up more i will them too. I watch more then i Game and i dont play FPS games.

There are a bunch of tvs at 100hz, 200hz, 400hz, 800hz and 1000hz but they get really expensives and i dont want to go any higher then 500

i currently have  32 inch panasonic tv but its very old, i sit/lay between 1.5m and 4/5meters away.

Well TVs often don't have 60Hz, and if they do, TVs tend to have much higher input lag and response times.

PC Monitors are usually much faster at both, having 60Hz and quick response. BUT there are of course bad PC monitors and good TVs, although those good TVs are VERY expensive and I would not buy one at the moment. Bad PC monitors are the Dell 2815Q. It only has 30Hz, which is crap for gaming.

So my recommendation is either the ASUS PB287Q or the Samsung U28D590D. Both are similar in performance, have good colors for TN panels and have quick response times as well as 60Hz via DisplayPort. The PB287Q has a better stand, which gives you better ergonomics. If you don't care about that, go with the Samsung and you should be happy. If you have some money to burn, go with the PB287Q because honestly I think that stand is a HUGE selling point.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

There is a 28" 4k monitor for £500 ive been considering. but i like to watch alot of hd movies and when 4k movies pick up more i will them too. I watch more then i Game and i dont play FPS games.

There are a bunch of tvs at 100hz, 200hz, 400hz, 800hz and 1000hz but they get really expensives and i dont want to go any higher then 500

I was only talking about 4k TV. I know there are much faster 1080p TV

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

There are so many 4k tvs with over 200hz     http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-49ub850v-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-49-led-tv-10001876-pdt.html

I was only talking about 4k TV. I know there are much faster 1080p TV

You're right! ;-) Got me there. Sorry for that.

Still, input lag is usually quite noticable on TVs compared to PC monitors. It is not as big of an issue for most console games, but on PC I find that annoying.

Problem is though, you will get a much bigger screen when going for a TV, so it really depends on the way you want to play games and how much you actually want to play at all compared to working on your PC.

Another thing, just to consider that as well, 4k is supposed to be quite bad (at least at the moment) for Windows and Mac OS due to the scaling issues. Things will either be really small or scaled up, but bad looking.

I only play LoL, Marvel Heroes, NFS, Sims. I mostly watch Movies/youtube etc. So im not sure... I want to go for a monitor but i want better colour and res/MP screen. And i know if input lag, the amount on my Panasonic is so little i dont notice it And i dont know how laggy the 4k ones will be. sooooo yh unsure and unsure. Feel like just going for a 4k monitor tho. But i want colour :P and response.

You're right! ;-) Got me there. Sorry for that.

Still, input lag is usually quite noticable on TVs compared to PC monitors. It is not as big of an issue for most console games, but on PC I find that annoying.
Problem is though, you will get a much bigger screen when going for a TV, so it really depends on the way you want to play games and how much you actually want to play at all compared to working on your PC.

Another thing, just to consider that as well, 4k is supposed to be quite bad (at least at the moment) for Windows and Mac OS due to the scaling issues. Things will either be really small or scaled up, but bad looking.

those refresh rates are not real and its made with software. and trust me you don`t want to look at movies with their motion feature turned on. soap opera effect. however 60hz will do more than fine

also since you said you watch lots of movies deff get a big TV. and one that has good picture quality. sony or samsung. i recommend sony couse they have very low input lag. LG has bad picture quality,low contrast,the black are grey and in most cases ips glow.

well my 32" panasonic feels like 30-50 ms response rate and i dont notice it at all in games, and i enable everything and use black to black colour thing, not grey to grey, I dont like the Megapixal resolution of my 1080p Panasonic, I can notice the pixels and the bodged software rendering thing on normal tv and videos. Thats why i want a 4k monitor or tv and i dont think i want to go much bigger then 34 inch.  I sit infront of my tv about 1-2 meters away when gaming

those refresh rates are not real and its made with software. and trust me you don`t want to look at movies with their motion feature turned on. soap opera effect. however 60hz will do more than fine

also since you said you watch lots of movies deff get a big TV. and one that has good picture quality. sony or samsung. i recommend sony couse they have very low input lag. LG has bad picture quality,low contrast,the black are grey and in most cases ips glow.

If you don't want anything bigger than 34" than I would probably go with a monitor. 

thats mostly why i think ill go with a monitor but i want really good image which monitors dont do as great.

I think i will get this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC  but i dont think its a IPS monitor. I want a 4k IPS G Sync monitor <3 

If you don't want anything bigger than 34" than I would probably go with a monitor. 

thats mostly why i think ill go with a monitor but i want really good image which monitors dont do as great.

I think i will get this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC  but i dont think its a IPS monitor. I want a 4k IPS G Sync monitor <3 

That is definitely not IPS.

High-end TV's may look better than some monitors but you have to remember that the image processing that they have to get to that level of quiality often results in large amounts of latency, which can make it unplayable. A high-end monitor will still look really really good. I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

I have like a 1000 yr old monitor 1240x sum sum resolution 4:3 ratio and around 20 inch and it looks so much more crisper and colour better then my 1080p 32", Really dont like the Mega pixel of my TV, its like 1.3 at my viewing distance... I want a 28-30Inch monitor at 4k but cant find one with G sync.    

That is definitely not IPS.

High-end TV's may look better than some monitors but you have to remember that the image processing that they have to get to that level of quiality often results in large amounts of latency, which can make it unplayable. A high-end monitor will still look really really good. I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

Monitor - monitors tend to have tighter specs (not always) but for gaming monitors almost always win due to input latency. TVs tend to fudge their specs with flashy imaginary numbers too because the general consumer doesn't know any better, things like 500Hz is BS they just flash the backlight at that rate meanwhile the panel is still only running 60Hz or contrast ratios of "infinity" -_- yes some TVs say that...

Here´s a 28" 4K G-sync monitor for you.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/xb0

Nvm. Saw the overclocked link now.

By the way. Why G-sync? Are you planning on upgrading from the apu?

LOL :D   Yeah, Im using what i have to slowly build a Intel/Nvidia OP £20000000 PC :D. In the next week or so im Buying a 4k Monitor and the new GTX 970. then then ill save for a the Intels new 2011 MB with the new 8 core CPU :) then basicly turn my current system back to normal.

Monitor - monitors tend to have tighter specs (not always) but for gaming monitors almost always win due to input latency. TVs tend to fudge their specs with flashy imaginary numbers too because the general consumer doesn't know any better, things like 500Hz is BS they just flash the backlight at that rate meanwhile the panel is still only running 60Hz or contrast ratios of "infinity" -_- yes some TVs say that...

Yeah i know but i want colour, like 2000000MP Camera qualit :D Which Tvs give, And monitors are Blaugh.