I Own A Piece of Computing History

DLM_012

I stumbled upon this while helping clean out someone's garage. Original box and pretty much in brand new condition. Not sure if I want to keep it for myself or sell it. I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If by now you haven't guessed it...

Posted Image

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Damn, that's probably worth a lot of money to some people.

Edit --- I found it on amazon for about $85.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

IBM Model M Spacesaver 

15035.jpg

EDIT: You will get at $100 minimum for one of these beauties if you end up selling it. I wouldn't if I were you.

Keep it if you like it, if you need cash you can always turn to selling it. Personally I would use it haha

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

how did they bring up the start menu in 1987

magic.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Keep it dude, I have one myself that I used when I was really young on our families first computer. Never realized how awesome it was until I got into computer lol. 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Voice commands. /joke

That's really cool!! my grandfather used one of the first computers in Australia as he was working for one of the big banks overhere. he owns some manuals from the actual computer :3

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Haha thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to clean it up and keep it. I might use it with my setup at work

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

More pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had one. And then I sold it for 7.50 USD.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I know there was a registry thing you could do to make the caps lock key act as a super key to bring up the start menu, but I don't think that was required in '87.

Just to kick the wind out of the Troll's Sails.

The Start Menu was introduced in Windows 95 ... in 1995.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I bet you've been kicking yourself about it since.

Your profile picture is perfect for your post.

I bet you've been kicking yourself about it since.

Nope, my dad sold it. ON CRAIGSLIST. Fucking god. I could have sold that thing for 300 bucks easy. It was in tiptop shape in the box for 30 so years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I guess you sold it at a garage sale.

Edit: Didn't read above post 

Nope, my dad sold it. ON CRAIGSLIST. Fucking god. I could have sold that thing for 300 bucks easy. It was in tiptop shape in the box for 30 so years.

That was my total "I. FUCKED. UP." moment.

That's AWESOME!!!!

We had one back when I was like 4 but my dad gave it away along with our computer when we upgraded.

I'd say use it. I know I would.

I used to love the feel of typing on those things. All of the IBM keyboards had a distinct (and loud) "clicking" sound with every press of a key.

Mainboard ASUS Maximus VII Hero | CPU i5-4690K @ 4.7GHz | RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB | Storage Kingston V300 SSD 240GB & 120GB, WD Black 1TB HDD | GPU EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0

PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 AX240 watercooling kit / additional 2 x 140mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED fans, 1 Cooler Master R4-L2R 120mm fan

I used to love the feel of typing on those things. All of the IBM keyboards had a distinct (and loud) "clicking" sound with every press of a key.

I test drove one for one day just to make sure it still works before I sold it. For 7.50.

There was no GUI in 87.

GUI came out in windows 96

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

That is pretty awesome! I am a little jealous. :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They didn't, everyone was using Unix back then...jk you still need meta even on Unix.

There was no GUI in 87.

GUI came out in windows 96

Windows 96 was never released to the public, and the Windows 1.0 GUI interface was released in 1985 as a DOS extension.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /