A Quiet Micro ATX Case From Scratch

Jammin

Building your own case from scratch is a pretty daunting task the first time around (I'd be a little more confident doing it again now), particularly when you don't have access to a workshop and all the equipment that entails.

So below you'll find pictures of what I went through to build this case. I was set on the Micro ATX form factor as I didn't want it to get too big, though compactness wasn't the ultimate goal. Being as quiet as possible was the priority (while not getting too hot).

The hardware itself isn't as fancy as many of the builds that you'll see in the forum, so there is no water cooling and the specs are pretty modest (still need a better GPU).

The original case build was done in May/June 2011, so I've used this for a couple of years now.

The current specs are:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz

8GB Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z

AMD HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 (Accelero S1)

Corsair AX850

Samsung 1TB HDD

E-MU 0404 USB Sound Interface

Thermalright TY-140 Intake (bottom), Exhaust (top) and CPU (Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Rev.C)

This was the original rough design mockup in Sketchup (with a fan controller that was later removed in favour of motherboard fan control):

CaseView.jpg

Below are the stages of building the case (there are more detailed photos, but I'm just picking them out to give a flavour):

IMG_0342-1.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0588-1.jpg

IMG_0590-1.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0068-1.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0109-1.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

framewithskin1.jpg

IMG_0646-1.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

case1-1.jpg

case3-1.jpg

case5.jpg

case7.jpg

case6.jpg

And this is what it currently looks like with hardware:

IMG_2760_zps9e5444b2.jpg

IMG_2757_zps8e2876e5.jpg

IMG_2756_zpsf7215a78.jpg

IMG_2762_zpsa8d141b6.jpg

IMG_2764_zps032576c5.jpg

IMG_2765_zps73c5cd24.jpg

IMG_2767_zps597c80c7.jpg

foam everywhere :D

i think you should treat the woodparts to make them look darker!

cool build

Yeah, I do like foam. :)

I made sure to use proper acoustic foam that won't catch fire (you never know).

Most of the exposed "wood" parts are just layered veneer, so I don't know how easy it would be to treat them.

A darker varnish might work, but it would require sanding back what is already there and I'm not sure I fancy the effort.  :lol:

That case is awesome love it nice job :p

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Awesome build, can you measure the sound pressure level using a smartphone app (unless you have a sound meter)? I bet it's completely inaudible :).

I'd actually pay a fair amount for a custom case like this

Very good looking case ! How much do you want for one ? ;)

Is that a passive gpu cooler?

Yeah. The 6670 isn't a hot GPU (no power connectors) so you can get away with passive cooling pretty easily. It gets some incidental airflow from the CPU cooler above it and there is a lot of space for that as it is a low profile card. I'd like a better GPU, which would need to be actively cooled and likely make things a bit louder.

Awesome build, can you measure the sound pressure level using a smartphone app (unless you have a sound meter)? I bet it's completely inaudible :).

You can hear it when it is doing something intensive like rendering video, as I have the fans set to spin up.

I tried a smartphone app (iPhone 3gs) and unstressed (watching a twitch stream and have a few light weight programs open at the moment) I was getting readings around 36-37dB right up beside the case (35dB ambient in the room). 39-40dB held right next to the intake at the front of the case.

I want. Very nice build!

Lian Li PC-V600FX - Asus Rampage IV Gene - I7-3820 @stock -  CM Geminii s524 - 4x4gb of patriot 2133 - EVGA GTX 580 1.5gb @stock - CM 800w Silent Pro - 2x WD 1tb blue - 2x 40gb Intel SSD's in raid 0

That wood and carbon wrap theme, looks absolutely amazing!

That looks absolutely amazing! How are the temps in that case?

The fans spin up pretty quickly under heavy load (you can definitely hear it then).

I haven't done much in depth temperature testing, I think the CPU got to around 65-67C depending on core while I was running prime for my OC testing.

The only temp readings I took for the GPU were when I first built it to make sure it wouldn't get too hot with passive cooling. I think that was about 45C, so I was happy.

It is idling along at 37C at the moment. I could record some temperatures over a long gaming session if anyone would be interested in that.

Oh this is awesome, love to see people building their own cases. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Cool, but nothing special *tries to hide a nerdgasm*

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

WOW! Looks amazingly clean; I bet it's inaudible! 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

This build is amazing!

I would buy a case like that.

The Syndicate

Very clean build. 

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

amazing build! by far one of my favorite I have seen so far

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, you are all awesome.  :)

Was really impressed when I scrolled through the pictures! Nice job with the case!

I know it's not necessarily a powerhouse you want but the graphics card you have is odd for a choice.

Anyway good build ;)

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Yeah, the GPU wasn't really a choice, it's an AMD sample, so came with an AMD branded cooler like the one here (top), I just haven't had the budget to replace it with something I want.

That's probably why it seems odd.

Cool build, with the drives hanging it will make it quiet for sure, but when they get to some higher rpm's, won't it make them vibrate too much comparing to being stable in a bracket? And is that bad for hard drives anyway?