What do you think of Windows Phone? As a secondary device?

What do you guys think of Windows Phone? I know that many shun the OS cause of its ecosystem. IF the ecosystem is on par with Android and iOS just saying that the famous titles gets released in all three OSes. Will you all give WIndows Phone a shot? 

Lumia fans? anyone?

I don't mind Windows Phone itself that much. I actually quite like the way it looks and generally functions. It's just the lack of apps that kills me.

No, rather have Android or iOS. But that's me, you might like it and prefer it over the giants

Do you think that iOS is beginning to get a little stale? Its the same thing since heck even the iPod Touch 1st gen..

I'm definitely willing to try it out. I only use like 4 or so apps regularly so I'm not really a power user. I just need good battery life cause that factor is the most important one for me regarding phones.

Silly, boring, no customisation, still lacks apps, don't like the hardware, pseudo multitasking, prefer google services to MS services, not a fan of the tile UI, I could keep going. There is literally no appeal other than a lack of any lag. I don't see myself using anything other than Android in the future.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Don't know what you want to do with it, but i think its a decent OS, only needs a few killer apps to get interesting for the normal consumer. I don't care that ios has 23234234 apps and Google Play has 123434534 apps, most of them i dont use i only use a handful of apps on my Android phone.

Silly, boring, no customisation, still lacks apps, don't like the hardware, pseudo multitasking, prefer google services to MS services, not a fan of the tile UI, I could keep going. There is literally no appeal other than a lack of any lag. I don't see myself using anything other than Android in the future.

No customization? I think people need to do their homework before talking about things of which they know little. Windows Phone is filled with customization options. Choose a theme colour, dark or light background and design the home screen the way you wish. If you don't like the tile design that's completely up to you, but the way the tile design works allows for a very high grade of customization. 3 tile sizes to choose from, arrange them any way you want in different sizes and patterns. No two Windows Phones look alike. I think it's the mobile OS that is best at showing the owners personality and allow for different looks based on the individual's preferences.

What I think of Windows Phone over all? It's a very stable OS that sets itself apart from the competition. I really like the interface and the way it works, so different from the ever present icons-on-a-row UI. It's still a young OS so there are functions that need to be added but every update shows cool and welcome improvements.

The lack of apps has become a mantra that people repeat without even having seen what's there for themselves. Now, I'm not saying you guys don't know what you are talking about, all I'm saying is that I personally don't lack apps, and I use quite a few apps. I will agree that Android and iOS takes priority in app development but that is only natural seeing as the two has the largest market share.

Over all, a great OS with some really cool handsets. Love every second of using it.

Garbage.

Why?

No customization? I think people need to do their homework before talking about things of which they know little. Windows Phone is filled with customization options. Choose a theme colour, dark or light background and design the home screen the way you wish. If you don't like the tile design that's completely up to you, but the way the tile design works allows for a very high grade of customization. 3 tile sizes to choose from, arrange them any way you want in different sizes and patterns. No two Windows Phones look alike. I think it's the mobile OS that is best at showing the owners personality and allow for different looks based on the individual's preferences.

What I think of Windows Phone over all? It's a very stable OS that sets itself apart from the competition. I really like the interface and the way it works, so different from the ever present icons-on-a-row UI. It's still a young OS so there are functions that need to be added but every update shows cool and welcome improvements.

The lack of apps has become a mantra that people repeat without even having seen what's there for themselves. Now, I'm not saying you guys don't know what you are talking about, all I'm saying is that I personally don't lack apps, and I use quite a few apps. I will agree that Android and iOS takes priority in app development but that is only natural seeing as the two has the largest market share.

Over all, a great OS with some really cool handsets. Love every second of using it.

Why?

Are you being serious or trolling? This is a tiny taste of what's possible on Android, and that's just home screen, the list goes on for OS customisation and user preferences (without root, root access brings even more). I've used all 3, Android, iOS and WP pretty substantially, WP has literally zero appeal for me personally. I have little confidence it will really get off the ground (or much further than it's already gone), which is unfortunate.

post-2523-0-72674900-1370187596_thumb.jp

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Are you being serious or trolling? This is a tiny taste of what's possible on Android, and that's just home screen, the list goes on for OS customisation and user preferences (without root, root access brings even more). I've used all 3, Android, iOS and WP pretty substantially, WP has literally zero appeal for me personally. I have little confidence it will really get off the ground (or much further than it's already gone), which is unfortunate.

Dead serious. I agree you have many really cool options on Android, but it is essentially based on the icons ina row app drawer design, which is fine and functional just not that original any more. I think the pictures you provided substantiate my post fairly well too.  5 very different home screens all of which are distinct and personal in design. I'm not saying Android cannot do this, but to say there is no customization in Windows Phone is, as a matter a fact, wrong. It's not a question of opinion it's just incorrect.

Let me clarify that I have nothing against Android. In fact I consider it for my next phone after having seen the design in HTC Sense 5.

I don't understand the whole "WP ecosystem is bad" argument. This goes to show that it is keeping up fairly well with iOS (even though that percentage has increased in the past month), and stuff like this shows that big names aren't ignoring it at all. Windows Phone is now the third ecosystem, and it continues to grow. It just so happens that development cycles are starting to finish for apps that may have been started when Windows Phone 8 was released.

With regards to using it as a secondary device; if you want to get something that doesn't cost a lot, Windows Phone is the best option IMO. Buying a cheaper Android phone will result in pretty much zero support, an old version of the OS (most likely Gingerbread), and more than likely copious amounts of lag and hiccups. Buying an older iPhone will lose you a bunch of features (Siri, camera options, etc.), and will also probably get little support once iOS 7 hits. Buying a cheaper Windows Phone 8 device (see: $150 for an unlocked Lumia 520) will get you the same smooth OS as all other Windows Phone 8 devices, with a couple incompatible games (usually lazy devs that don't feel like optimizing anything). Keep in mind that using older Android or iOS hardware would also result in not only incompatible games, but also lots of incompatible applications as well.

I don't understand the whole "WP ecosystem is bad" argument. This goes to show that it is keeping up fairly well with iOS (even though that percentage has increased in the past month), and stuff like this shows that big names aren't ignoring it at all. Windows Phone is now the third ecosystem, and it continues to grow. It just so happens that development cycles are starting to finish for apps that may have been started when Windows Phone 8 was released.

With regards to using it as a secondary device; if you want to get something that doesn't cost a lot, Windows Phone is the best option IMO. Buying a cheaper Android phone will result in pretty much zero support, an old version of the OS (most likely Gingerbread), and more than likely copious amounts of lag and hiccups. Buying an older iPhone will lose you a bunch of features (Siri, camera options, etc.), and will also probably get little support once iOS 7 hits. Buying a cheaper Windows Phone 8 device (see: $150 for an unlocked Lumia 520) will get you the same smooth OS as all other Windows Phone 8 devices, with a couple incompatible games (usually lazy devs that don't feel like optimizing anything). Keep in mind that using older Android or iOS hardware would also result in not only incompatible games, but also lots of incompatible applications as well.

I think WP is great, but it really offers nothing to most people that they can't find on an iPhone, or Android phone even more so, that's better. When you have the choice of 3 phones when getting something on a contract, you're going to put them side by side and pick which is the best. Why have something good when you can have something better? 80%, meh, how about 100? Offer me something better and I'll use it.

But with all that customization, Android doesn't have the software to hardware optimization like WP do. even a single core chip WP phone could beat an Android in terms of smoothness and efficiency. If you see it from price points and efficiency comparison. A Galaxy Mini vs a Nokia Lumia 610, The lumia will still win in terms of performance overall.. And you have to think it this way, performance will be compromised with all the added skins and widgets. Can a HTC Hero run even Sense 4 without the need to lag once? Impossible..Or a Galaxy y running Regina 3D launcher? All of that goodness comes with a higher cost but its all the same experience with a WP

But with all that customization, Android doesn't have the software to hardware optimization like WP do. even a single core chip WP phone could beat an Android in terms of smoothness and efficiency. If you see it from price points and efficiency comparison. A Galaxy Mini vs a Nokia Lumia 610, The lumia will still win in terms of performance overall.. And you have to think it this way, performance will be compromised with all the added skins and widgets. Can a HTC Hero run even Sense 4 without the need to lag once? Impossible..Or a Galaxy y running Regina 3D launcher? All of that goodness comes with a higher cost but its all the same experience with a WP

Running a custom ROM or not, every Android phone I've had (HTC desire HD, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3) has been pretty much lag free. even if I had experienced some lag, I would still place the features you get in and Android above WP. No lag is literally the one single feature that WP has going for it, at least to me anyway. Yay, one good feature. Better go out and buy one...

Running a custom ROM or not, every Android phone I've had (HTC desire HD, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3) has been pretty much lag free. even if I had experienced some lag, I would still place the features you get in and Android above WP. No lag is literally the one single feature that WP has going for it, at least to me anyway. Yay, one good feature. Better go out and buy one...

Count out contracts. The specs of the device you mentioned, Dual core, Dual Core, Quad Core. are so expensive. To some countries its really just expensive.. And I've had a Desire HD. Lag as hell. The only thing that reduced the lag was a replacement launcher cause Sense 4 was just so frigging heavy on the device. Productivity to price ratio. Anyway. Android and iOS gets their key functions all from apps. Especially Android, 3rd party apps everywhere. Wouldn't WP be as useful if it had those apps as well?

I think WP is great, but it really offers nothing to most people that they can't find on an iPhone, or Android phone even more so, that's better. When you have the choice of 3 phones when getting something on a contract, you're going to put them side by side and pick which is the best. Why have something good when you can have something better? 80%, meh, how about 100? Offer me something better and I'll use it.

If we turn that around, what does iOS and Android offer that Windows Phone doesn't? And please don't say apps, there are a bucked load of apps in Windows Phone. And yes, Android offers rooting, but that is only interesting to a small percentage of the user base.

Where I live, apparently we have a completely different system than in the USA. Here you buy a phone and you can either get it on a contract for 6 months or without contract, which the majority prefers. You are not locked to a single company and you can easily change. And all phones are available at all providers. My point is that not the entire world has to pick a phone and stick with it for 2 years.

If we turn that around, what does iOS and Android offer that Windows Phone doesn't? And please don't say apps, there are a bucked load of apps in Windows Phone. And yes, Android offers rooting, but that is only interesting to a small percentage of the user base.

Where I live, apparently we have a completely different system than in the USA. Here you buy a phone and you can either get it on a contract for 6 months or without contract, which the majority prefers. You are not locked to a single company and you can easily change. And all phones are available at all providers. My point is that not the entire world has to pick a phone and stick with it for 2 years.

- complete Google service integration (maps, drive, Google Now, etc.)

- true multitasking

- better media sharing to services and other apps/social networking etc.

- essentially unlimited home screen customisation

- app customisation

- default app options and selection (music player, SMS client, keyboard, web browser etc.)

- custom ROM's (this includes always being on the latest software)

- root access (system and data back ups, under/overclocking, etc.)

- home screen widgets

- lock screen widgets

- power toggles (home + status bar)

- file management

- app sideloading

- don't have to use Zune or Skydrive

- better notifications (status bar)

- Drag and drop files from computer

- more device selection

- browser syncing

- nexus devices are now subsidized and are extremely good

- automatic locations based settings toggling (see tasker, llama, etc.)

- and finally, yes, apps. 80 or 90% isn't good enough for me

That's all I can think of just sitting here. I WANT WP to succeed, I really do, I would have gotten an 8X instead of a GS3 if not for all the things mentioned above, and it's a lot. I also Love the hardware that carries WP (Lumia/8X), but at the end of the day the experience is majoritively software based.

By the way, Google now is amazing.

If my work used all MS services, I could have one as a work phone. It's fairly good for calls and email (if you use exchange). However, the moment I wanted anything more from my phone, WP wouldn't do at all. There most definitely is a serious lack in support for WP out there in the app world

I've had Windows Phone on my Lumia 800 for a while now and as my second ever smart phone, I really like it, Symbian S60v2 as my first ever smart phone OS it is a HUGE improvement!, but... Some of my mates have some really handy apps on Android that I would really like to have... The Lumia 800 itself is pretty shody in my experience. I've had three so far! The first one had audio problems so I sent it back and they fixed it, then it got stolen, so I got a new one on the insurance, then the second one just stopped working one day, sent it back to Nokia and they coudn't fix it!!! :o so they sent me back a new one that had scratches on it!!! So it may have been a display one or one they were doing testing on I guess, but they told me it was a different phone to the one that I sent in! Anyway, if there were more apps on Windows Phone I would buy another one, but NOT the Lumia 800 haha

Every Phone I have Ever Owned

Samsung A800

Motorola Razr v3

Sony Ericsson k800i

Sony Ericsson C905

Was suppose to be data, did not work... Also I never connected it to WIFI

LG Viewty smile gt400 FYI data did not work, + no WIFI

Sony Ericsson Vivaz

Symbian S60v2 had to download of websites as Play Now (Sony Ericsson's App store for Symbian at the time.) did not work!/Was not available on my mobile phone provider or some BS like that.

Nokia Lumia 800 X3

Nokia 100

In between one of the three Lumia 800’s (This was because I left my phone at home and I bought this at the airport.)  :(

(No camera, No internet etc.)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

- complete Google service integration (maps, drive, Google Now, etc.)

Complete Microsoft service integration. SkyDrive, HERE Maps, City Lens etc. (I know some are Nokia features but they are standard).

- true multitasking

Fair point. It should have just been there from the beginning just because why not.

- better media sharing to services and other apps/social networking etc.

WP offers excellent native integration with Facebook and have very nice apps for other social media such as Twitter.

- essentially unlimited home screen customisation

You could make that argument for Windows Phone as well.

- app customisation

I'm not quite sure what that means?

- default app options and selection (music player, SMS client, keyboard, web browser etc.)

Pointless if the default systems just work, which they do.

- custom ROM's (this includes always being on the latest software)

If you feel like buying a phone and then just go custom ROM all over the place then be my guest.

- root access (system and data back ups, under/overclocking, etc.)

Like I said, only used but a small percentage of the user base. Most users would never dream of rooting.

- home screen widgets

Live Tiles.

- lock screen widgets

Apps with lock screen functionality.

- power toggles (home + status bar)

Not quite sure what that means either, but Windows Phone has a status bar.

- file management

Everything has a place on WP. Just a different way to do things, I suppose.

- app sideloading

I don't know what that means. :)

- don't have to use Zune or Skydrive

Don't have to use Google's services.

- better notifications (status bar)

Depends on the use. Windows Phone status bar is quite minimalist, which can be both good and bad.

- Drag and drop files from computer

I believe that can be done as well, through I don't connect to my pc that often and don't use my device for music.

- more device selection

A lot of which are quite the crap.

- browser syncing

Please elaborate.

- nexus devices are now subsidized and are extremely good

There are extremely good WP devices as well.

- automatic locations based settings toggling (see tasker, llama, etc.)

I believe this could be enabled via NFC though I'm not quite sure.

- and finally, yes, apps. 80 or 90% isn't good enough for me

Then that's good WP isn't at 80% or 90%. And if an app is missing, chances are there is a different app that does the same thing.

That's all I can think of just sitting here. I WANT WP to succeed, I really do, I would have gotten an 8X instead of a GS3 if not for all the things mentioned above, and it's a lot. I also Love the hardware that carries WP (Lumia/8X), but at the end of the day the experience is majoritively software based.

By the way, Google now is amazing.

English is not my first language so some of the functions I questioned I may know what it is, just never heard the English expression before. :)

Edit: I don't want you to think I preach Windows Phone is perfect, I know it's not. In fact I have a list with 11 points myself that I really think the OS lacks. And I do think you make good points as well, I think a lot of it is a question of habit. WP can do a lot of the things Android can. It comes down to preference.  ;)

I've had Windows Phone on my Lumia 800 for a while now and as my second ever smart phone, I really like it, Symbian S60v2 as my first ever smart phone OS it is a HUGE improvement!, but... Some of my mates have some really handy apps on Android that I would really like to have... The Lumia 800 itself is pretty shody in my experience. I've had three so far! The first one had audio problems so I sent it back and they fixed it, then it got stolen, so I got a new one on the insurance, then the second one just stopped working one day, sent it back to Nokia and they coudn't fix it!!! :o so they sent me back a new one that had scratches on it!!! So it may have been a display one or one they were doing testing on I guess, but they told me it was a different phone to the one that I sent in! Anyway, if there were more apps on Windows Phone I would buy another one, but NOT the Lumia 800 haha

Every Phone I have Ever Owned

Samsung A800

Motorola Razr v3

Sony Ericsson k800i

Sony Ericsson C905

Was suppose to be data, did not work... Also I never connected it to WIFI

LG Viewty smile gt400 FYI data did not work, + no WIFI

Sony Ericsson Vivaz

Symbian S60v2 had to download of websites as Play Now (Sony Ericsson's App store for Symbian at the time.)

Nokia Lumia 800 X3

Nokia 100

In between one of the three Lumia 800’s (This was because I left my phone at home and I bought this at the airport.)  :(

(No camera, No internet etc.)

Sorry to hear about your Lumia. I can tell you that I have had my Lumia 800 for 13 months now and I haven't had a single problem. Bad luck I suppose. :/

Sorry to hear about your Lumia. I can tell you that I have had my Lumia 800 for 13 months now and I haven't had a single problem. Bad luck I suppose. :/

I wish that was the same experience for me man, I do really like the OS but It's just getting annoying now. It also keeps crashing at random times... The first one I had never did, but the audio did stop working... I'm trying to be optimistic but... haha XD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I wish that was the same experience for me man, I do really like the OS but It's just getting annoying now. It also keeps crashing at random times... The first one I had never did, but the audio did stop working... I'm trying to be optimistic but... haha XD

I speak the truth when I say I have never had a single issue. Really weird.  :huh: I can definitely understand it's annoying for you. Such a shame when bad experiences and bad luck mess things up.  :unsure: