What do you think of Windows Phone? As a secondary device?

I speak the truth when I say I have never had a single issue. Really weird.  :huh: I can definitely understand it's annoying for you. Such a shame when bad experiences and bad luck mess things up.  :unsure:

true that :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I've been using a Lumia 800 WP7.5 (upgraded to 7.8 recently) for over a year now, and the experience has been fairly good. Yes, there is the downside of only a few major apps in the WP platform, and a lot of apps that are published for iOS and Android which you wish are published for WP (ahem, Steam app).

For me, I liked WP is because of its Exchange integration and Office Mobile apps. Yes, I know that Android and iOS also offers that (to some extent), but for me it seems more seamless on the WP. (I don't know on other platforms since I haven't used them).

What I also like (but I guess it leans more to the Lumia 800) is the Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive apps. Hands down a great GPS.

It all comes down to how you would use your phone. There are some people who would want extreme customization of the interface, or four cores and gigabytes of ram, or HQ cameras, but I guess that didn't matter much to me. Even though my phone has a single core processor and only 512MB of RAM, I still feel that the OS is extremely optimized to take advantage of that hardware.

Business wise, WP is good. If you're looking more on other use cases, I guess Android or iOS is the way to go. 

- complete Google service integration (maps, drive, Google Now, etc.)

Complete Microsoft service integration. SkyDrive, HERE Maps, City Lens etc. (I know some are Nokia features but they are standard).

Yep, but Google services are objectively better.

- true multitasking

Fair point. It should have just been there from the beginning just because why not.

- better media sharing to services and other apps/social networking etc.

WP offers excellent native integration with Facebook and have very nice apps for other social media such as Twitter.

Yep, but Android does it Better.

- essentially unlimited home screen customisation

You could make that argument for Windows Phone as well.

Nope.

- app customisation

I'm not quite sure what that means?

Theming, etc.

- default app options and selection (music player, SMS client, keyboard, web browser etc.)

Pointless if the default systems just work, which they do.

Everyone has different needs

- custom ROM's (this includes always being on the latest software)

If you feel like buying a phone and then just go custom ROM all over the place then be my guest.

Making a good product even better, I assume you don't know much about custom ROMs.

- root access (system and data back ups, under/overclocking, etc.)

Like I said, only used but a small percentage of the user base. Most users would never dream of rooting.

Still a feature/option

- home screen widgets

Live Tiles.

Not even nearly the same.

- lock screen widgets

Apps with lock screen functionality.

Not even nearly the same.

- power toggles (home + status bar)

Not quite sure what that means either, but Windows Phone has a status bar.

See attached pic

- file management

Everything has a place on WP. Just a different way to do things, I suppose.

See attached pic

- app sideloading

I don't know what that means.  :)

Download an .apk (an Android app), drag and drop/download from web browser/Cloud service onto your phone and run it to install.

- don't have to use Zune or Skydrive

Don't have to use Google's services.

Sorry, I meant you need to use Zune and Skydrive to manage your medua syncing and transfer to your WP. Android is not tied to any software on your PC.

- better notifications (status bar)

Depends on the use. Windows Phone status bar is quite minimalist, which can be both good and bad.

In this case, minimalist = lost potential and limited functionality

- Drag and drop files from computer

I believe that can be done as well, through I don't connect to my pc that often and don't use my device for music.

Can't be done to my knowledge.

- more device selection

A lot of which are quite the crap.

Subjective, really. There are more options, options are always good, plus more competition for better devices to be made

- browser syncing

Please elaborate.

Chome history/bookmarks/logins etc. are automatically synced with Chrome on your Android device.

- nexus devices are now subsidized and are extremely good

There are extremely good WP devices as well.

Eqivalently specced WP's are more expensive and RT tablets aren't all that great for the price, plus more expensive.

- automatic locations based settings toggling (see tasker, llama, etc.)

I believe this could be enabled via NFC though I'm not quite sure.

You are unaware of what this means. The app uses your location via GPS or signal towers and changes settings based on where you are, for example it can tell when I'm at or near home, mobile data goes off and wifi goes on. These apps can do hundreds of different things.

- and finally, yes, apps. 80 or 90% isn't good enough for me

Then that's good WP isn't at 80% or 90%. And if an app is missing, chances are there is a different app that does the same thing.

Generally with limited functionality.

Did I mention the ability to turn screen rotation off  :P I like WP, I really do, but I just see no reason to use it when Android does the same things better and further things that WP can't.

post-2523-0-19887700-1370271764.png

post-2523-0-27664700-1370271773.png

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

@ Lyons

Thanks for the elaborations.

I think we can both agree that a lot of the good/bad points are highly subjective and a matter of preference and needs and to be honest I don't think we'll make it further than agreeing to disagree.  ;)  Not that I want to kill the discussion but I feel we're slowly beginning to repeat ourselves.  :P

I see your points, it's just not a problem for me and how I use my device. But they are issues for you so again, a matter of preference.

If my work used all MS services, I could have one as a work phone. It's fairly good for calls and email (if you use exchange). However, the moment I wanted anything more from my phone, WP wouldn't do at all. There most definitely is a serious lack in support for WP out there in the app world

I think it would solve so much if MS could just give more support to devs on WP to make more apps or be like blackberry to port apps instead of being such a stuck up by competing with Google..

- complete Google service integration (maps, drive, Google Now, etc.)

- true multitasking

- better media sharing to services and other apps/social networking etc.

- essentially unlimited home screen customisation

- app customisation

- default app options and selection (music player, SMS client, keyboard, web browser etc.)

- custom ROM's (this includes always being on the latest software)

- root access (system and data back ups, under/overclocking, etc.)

- home screen widgets

- lock screen widgets

- power toggles (home + status bar)

- file management

- app sideloading

- don't have to use Zune or Skydrive

- better notifications (status bar)

- Drag and drop files from computer

- more device selection

- browser syncing

- nexus devices are now subsidized and are extremely good

- automatic locations based settings toggling (see tasker, llama, etc.)

- and finally, yes, apps. 80 or 90% isn't good enough for me

That's all I can think of just sitting here. I WANT WP to succeed, I really do, I would have gotten an 8X instead of a GS3 if not for all the things mentioned above, and it's a lot. I also Love the hardware that carries WP (Lumia/8X), but at the end of the day the experience is majoritively software based.

By the way, Google now is amazing.

Quote back on what you said

-Complete MS service integration and also Facebook and Twitter integration

-Not all apps on Android is true multi-tasking, MS can also multi task

-WP can also media share, its not Apple

-Android home screens are not unlimited. Xperia 5, TouchWiz 9, Sense I'm not sure. Even launchers don't offer unlimited home screens

-Apps are optimized, like iOS thats why it lacks customization, but what sort of customization are you talking bout? making Widgets?

-it has lock screen notifications, and customizable. Android does not have widget lock screen not till the next Jellybean update which is only available for Nexus devices and the S4

-it has a home and a status bar as well.. Don't know what you're trying to prove

-It supports drag and drop and you can manage your file from your comp.

-side loading is piracy. Its not legal to begin with

-WP don't depend on Zune or Skydrive to run. Skydrive is like Google Drive. It's the same thing. Cloud service

Zune is already discontinued btw

-less crappy device selection. I dare you to use a Galaxy y for a month. And i swear to you you will love that S3 so much you will never let it go

-It syncs with IE. (not the best browser in the world but it works on WP)

-Nexus aren't subsidized here. Not everyone is from the US. hello?

-Apps could grow if given the opportunity to do so with more customer support. Android had the same run when they came out with the 1st Android phone. It was terrible.

Google is amazing no doubt and growing. But as an alternative phone with the small price bracket. Android or WP?

Refer to my first response above. Android has optional Skydrive integration.

Not true multitasking. Dehydrate.rehydrate is psuedo multitasking.

Refer to my first response above.

-Android home screens are not unlimited. Xperia 5, TouchWiz 9, Sense I'm not sure. Even launchers don't offer unlimited home screens

You are limited by your own imagination, even on skinned devices. See: homescreen launchers.

-Apps are optimized, like iOS thats why it lacks customization, but what sort of customization are you talking bout? making Widgets?

Refer to my first response above. Apps can be themes without hindrance to performance. 

-it has lock screen notifications, and customizable. Android does not have widget lock screen not till the next Jellybean update which is only available for Nexus devices and the S4

Lock screen widgets can be achieved with a free app that's been avaliable since before Android 2.3

-it has a home and a status bar as well.. Don't know what you're trying to prove

Refer to my first response above. I said POWER TOGGELS in the status bar.

Not to my knowledge.

Sideloading is not piracy. Devs can upload apps/themes etc. online. Not everything is on the Play store. Is it Illegal if I write my own free application with no licencing and upload it to a file sharing site?

-WP don't depend on Zune or Skydrive to run. Skydrive is like Google Drive. It's the same thing. Cloud service

Refer to my first response above. Zune software.

-less crappy device selection. I dare you to use a Galaxy y for a month. And i swear to you you will love that S3 so much you will never let it go

I don't understand this post. If Android lags, you aren't using it properly.

Alright then - who uses IE? Do you really want to use IE?

I'm from Australia, the Nexus 4 is $350 here. Do you know what subsidized means?

-Apps could grow if given the opportunity to do so with more customer support. Android had the same run when they came out with the 1st Android phone. It was terrible.

Cool, but if WP was showing any real potential (more than single digit market share), the situation would be better by now.

Google is amazing no doubt and growing. But as an alternative phone with the small price bracket. Android or WP?

I mean 'Google Now', the search assistant. Android.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Won't ever touch a windows phone, used a lumia for a while but could never get over the lego block feeling of the homescreen.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Native SkyDrive automatic photo uploading on Windows Phone. Not sure if Android can do that.

Pseudo multitasking is much better for battery life. Windows Phone also has some applications (generally music and navigation) that run in the background.

Never used Android. Can't compare.

You are limited by your own imagination, even on skinned devices. See: homescreen launchers.

You are also limited by your hardware. Running a dynamic background drains the battery, for example.

Refer to my first response above. Apps can be themes without hindrance to performance.

See above.

Lock screen widgets can be achieved with a free app that's been avaliable since before Android 2.3

Definitely useful.

Not to my knowledge.

Windows Phone 8 does. Don't think WP7 does.

Sideloading is not piracy. Devs can upload apps/themes etc. online. Not everything is on the Play store. Is it Illegal if I write my own free application with no licencing and upload it to a file sharing site?

Side-loading can be used for piracy. It can also be used to install malicious programs if you aren't careful.

Android not being tied to software tends to confuse many amateur users. Zune was used for Windows Phone 7, and now there are dedicated apps for WP8. However, with drag and drop, you don't really need to use it to add/remove stuff from your phone.

"[...] you aren't using it properly." Can't tell if serious...

Businesses still require IE for some silly reason. IE on Windows Phone and Windows 8 ("Metro" version) are actually quite good.

I'm from Australia, the Nexus 4 is $350 here. Do you know what subsidized means?

Nexus 4 is a great deal, that is true. However, there are phones like the Nokia Lumia 520 that can be bought off contract for $150.

Cool, but if WP was showing any real potential (more than single digit market share), the situation would be better by now.

Sorry, the situation is bad? Adobe Reader, Shazam, Facebook, Call of Duty Elite, Tumblr, GoPro, Box, YouTube, Foursquare, and Hulu Plus (along with others) have all been updated/released in the past month alone. Not to mention third-party developers working hard to fill the gaps for companies too arrogant (like Google) to make their own apps. For example: Gmail, Instagram, Vine, and Snapchat.

I mean 'Google Now', the search assistant. Android.

There is a dedicated search button on all Windows Phone devices.

So many quotes in this thread. I guess I shall answer in blue.

So many quotes in this thread. I guess I shall answer in blue.

Lynos has seriously never experienced a low tier Android device. That's why. Or he's just telling himself that skipping frame rates is not considered as lag.  

Refer to my first response above. Apps can be themes without hindrance to performance. 

Not to my knowledge.

I'm from Australia, the Nexus 4 is $350 here. Do you know what subsidized means?

I mean 'Google Now', the search assistant. Android.

Devs can only compiled apps from the Eclipse SDK on dedicated dev phones to test their app on real hardware. Other than that the Eclipse SDK offers a VM to test. Side loading is downright illegal cause its piracy. And game cracking as well.. This is the reason why iOS gets apps more than Android cause Google does not care for piracy due to its open source mentality. Devs are losing money more than making cause one good app that needs to pay, everyone starts cracking and sideloading. 

Lynos has seriously never experienced a low tier Android device. That's why. Or he's just telling himself that skipping frame rates is not considered as lag.

Sorry, where did you get that from? Don't put words in my mouth.

Devs can only compiled apps from the Eclipse SDK on dedicated dev phones to test their app on real hardware. Other than that the Eclipse SDK offers a VM to test. Side loading is downright illegal cause its piracy. And game cracking as well.. This is the reason why iOS gets apps more than Android cause Google does not care for piracy due to its open source mentality. Devs are losing money more than making cause one good app that needs to pay, everyone starts cracking and sideloading.

Why aren't you out complaining about torrenting and file sharing in general then? I've never personally used sideloading to get apps for free. Am I a horrible person If a dev has personally sent me .apk's to use?

In case you haven't noticed, I've been making arguments for Android in general, not just pertaining to low end devices. I'm gonna give up responding to what's above for now, it seems none of you are experienced with Android enough to realise it's feature sets, and even when I answer something it's, 'oh WP has that'. Yeah, has it, but it's not as good. Android is objectively better than WP, period.

Not to mention SnapChat should be on it's way both in an official and 3rd party version. http://www.wpcentral.com/snapchat-windows-phone-and-what-you-need-know

Yes, Android is objectively better. In some areas. Windows Phone has advantages on it's own compared to Android. But hey, Android is a much older system. Google have had much longer to adjust and add features. Both iOS and Android work very well, therefore it is seriously difficult for a new player (WP) to push its way into the market. And I think Microsoft and Windows Phone have done fairly well. I see Windows Phones in the wild more and more. Adoption rates are climbing.

I think "oh WP has that"-arguments are legit when asked what Android and iOS have that Windows Phone doesn't.  But really neither is the best system, it comes down to preferences and how you want to use it.

Sorry, where did you get that from? Don't put words in my mouth.

Why aren't you out complaining about torrenting and file sharing in general then? I've never personally used sideloading to get apps for free. Am I a horrible person If a dev has personally sent me .apk's to use?

In case you haven't noticed, I've been making arguments for Android in general, not just pertaining to low end devices. I'm gonna give up responding to what's above for now, it seems none of you are experienced with Android enough to realise it's feature sets, and even when I answer something it's, 'oh WP has that'. Yeah, has it, but it's not as good. Android is objectively better than WP, period.

But have you actually used a low end Android device before? Really...One that isn't really flagship specs when it 1st launched...Like a Galaxy y or a Galaxy mini. Those running on single cores. And btw. I am an Android user. I've rooted my Galaxy SL and had CM10 on it. and currently using an Xperia ZL. It by all means have way better specs than your S3. I am an avid Android user. But I never deny the fact of a good OS when i see one. Just feel that WP is really a good OS that doesn't get enough credit cause of their slow growth due to their late entry in the industry for it to grow into a better OS. And dude. Try a low end Android device. No lag? You either haven't installed anything on it or you're just denying that fact. Android really can't run well without good specs on the hardware. Anyone can tell you that. It's really horrible, unresponsive and all..

Not a good choice. I currently own a Galaxy S4 and as a secondary I have the Lumia 920. I can tell you that my Lumia 920 is eating a lot of dust. Stay with 1 phone and get a tablet for when you are in bed but want to watch youtube videos.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I Love my Windows Phone!

It's very well integrated into other MS services and Facebook.

Also, Skype integration is getting better now that MS bought Skype.
I've tried the various iPhones over the years and I like very little about them.

I like android, namely that it is more power user friendly, and If I used more google services I would probably be much more likely to get one.
But Windows Phone is very clean and simple and easy to use!

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/