R9 280, GTX 760, R9 270X... what to choose?

Dixon890

Hi gu.... ow wait you cant say that here right? :lol:

Hello every one, im new in the forum. I need some help on what Graphics card to choose from and I wonder if you all PC snubs (like me) can help me to choose a graphics card betwen the three ones in the topic title (any other suitable suggestions are welcome too)

Im planning to upgrade my graphics card and because of this new generation of graphics cards comming hype and all the suspense and all this stuff I cant really tell what too choose!!  :wacko: 

I want to clarify that I dont care about Home streaming, video editing capacities and 4K. My internet is too slow, my editing capacities are like... none and 4k its too expensive and too high resolution for me.

anyway lets get to the point. I have an ATI HD 6670 and a 720p monitor, (trying to upgrade those) and I want to buy a graphics card first and then get a 1080 or 1444p monitor. I made a lot of research, seen benchmarks, topics in this forum, Linus' reviews, more forums, toms hardware, asking my cat.... to the point I feel obsesed by that, wich is kind of awesome :). After all that I came with the following options:

Sapphire R9 280

EVGA GTX 760

MSI R9 270X

I think those three can suit my budget and my expectations as well (I feel more like r9 280 tough) but I want to know from you guys what you think. For any references these are my system specs (dont laugh too hard, Im on a very thigh budget :lol:)

ATI HD 6670
AMD FX 6300
4 GB of RAM (yeah I need more I know that lol)
Asrock n68 GS FX (kind of crappy board yah)
Corsair GS 700 v2013
Toshiba 1TB hard drive

I hope you guys can help me with this and sorry for my crappy english, its not my native languaje. ;)

Please and thank you

Welcome to the forum! :)

I recommend getting the R9 280. It's quite a bit cheaper than the GTX 760, and it has 3GB of memory compared to 2GB, and, in terms of raw performance, it's going to be faster.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If you want things like Physx and more stable drivers go for the 760

If you want POWER! go for the 280. hope this helped :)

(P.S dont update to the beta drivers for amd cause sometimes it messes things up and you got to uninstall the driver and that sucks)

(and wait for people to talk about the drivers)

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

What about the R9 285?

Has the features from the R9 290 and tech specs from the R9 280

But if you can't get the R9 285 then R9 280 would be your best bet.

The 285 is a good card but they shouldn't say 1440p gaming performance.

EDIT: With the amount of memory and small memory bus it would just be egh

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Wait for 960 maybe? 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

wow that was kind of faster than I expected.... great!!! im more of a FPS guy if you ask me (I like the powah :D) and yeah, I know the news about the Tonga R9 285 but... dat memory bus just cant convince me... 256 bit bus for a 3 GB just eeemm... and here in my country, the R9 285 will cost like a R9 290 or a GTX 780 lol

On a 1080p monitor you would be fine with a 760/270x, but in a few years you would have to upgrade again to catch up with all the new games. I would cash out on a 285 or 770/780. The nvidia ones are actually really cheap now.

oh and welcome  :wub:

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

IMO 280x is optimal för 1080p right now, you can get it för like 200 euros.

Thank you to you all for your great replies

The R9 280X its so expensive here, it costs like 450 buks. So Im going to choose the R9 280 based on your opinions and what Ive seen on benchmarks and stuff. but I want to know some more things before ordering it.

If I choose the r9 280, how much it would last playing all upcoming games (GTA V, BF hardline, Witcher 3 for example) at 1080p at least on high settings?

Again thank you guys, you are awesome :)

Thank you to you all for your great replies

The R9 280X its so expensive here, it costs like 450 buks. So Im going to choose the R9 280 based on your opinions and what Ive seen on benchmarks and stuff. but I want to know some more things before ordering it.

If I choose the r9 280, how much it would last playing all upcoming games (GTA V, BF hardline, Witcher 3 for example) at 1080p at least on high settings?

Again thank you guys, you are awesome :)

For Hardline you can probably play on Ultra with AA disabled. GTA V and Witcher 3 are probably good for High settings. But no Ubersampling on Witcher 3.