thernal compubd replacement on GPU. Whats this film for?

chilicheeseburger
Go to solution Solved by gazabi,

or actually not o didn't see it first but actually it just covers the part that makes contact to the pcb around the chip

Yeah, don't remove it, it probably stops the cooler from rubbing on the pcb around the chip and messing it up.

I'm replacing the thermal compound on a xfx radeon hd5870 and ran across a weird thing. I cleaned the compound off the heat sink and underneath it was a protective film, like the ones you peel off of cooler heatsinks normally. so does this stay on? I took a picture but can't really upload it as I'm on my phone right now..

just sounds like bad manufacturing

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If your temps werent super bad with the "film" on I would say to keep it on. Is it removable?

Edit: I think you should take it off, it probably was bad manufacturing like 

thekeemo said.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

I attached the photo I took.

Just clean it off. There should be direct contact to copper.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If your temps werent super bad with the "film" on I would say to keep it on. Is it removable?

Yes it is. The card kept creating artifacts on screen and crashing the PC dafter a while of gaming... thats why I replace the thernal paste

I attached the photo I took.

xfx-hd-5870-black-edition02b.jpgThis cooler doesnt have the film.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

or actually not o didn't see it first but actually it just covers the part that makes contact to the pcb around the chip

Yeah, don't remove it, it probably stops the cooler from rubbing on the pcb around the chip and messing it up.

Spoiler

I left it on, put new thermal paste on and yeah its running now.

Let's see for how long tough.. lol Thanks Everyone.

I left it on, put new thermal paste on and yeah its running now.

Let's see for how long tough.. lol Thanks Everyone.

there are 5 or so people telling you its bad manufacturing and you should take it of yet one guy with 7 posts comes in here tells you some crap and you follow his advice??? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Good choice to leave it on, its always better to try something safe before you start going around and removing stuff thats already there.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

there are 5 or so people telling you its bad manufacturing and you should take it of yet one guy with 7 posts comes in here tells you some crap and you follow his advice???

The thing is i tought the protection film covered the whole heatsink. it actually has a square cutout in the middle where it makes direct contact to the chip on the gpu. The rest around the chip it is pcb and thats where the protection film makes contact.

But I didn't see that at first, so that's why it makes sense to leave it on.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

The thing is i tought the protection film covered the whole heatsink. it actually has a square cutout in the middle where it makes direct contact to the chip on the gpu. The rest around the chip it is pcb and thats where the protection film makes contact.

But I didn't see that at first, so that's why it makes sense to leave it on.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

whow whow whow hold on so the bottom of the heatsink is covered by a plastic thingy and it has cut out in the middle becaus if that is true then i was wrong and its alright to leave it on i thought there was a piece of plastic coverering the part where the chip touches the copper 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

whow whow whow hold on so the bottom of the heatsink is covered by a plastic thingy and it has cut out in the middle becaus if that is true then i was wrong and its alright to leave it on i thought there was a piece of plastic coverering the part where the chip touches the copper

Exactly. I didn't see this first that's why I created the thread here.