I need someone to clarify something about RAM for me.

Go to solution Solved by Hieb,

So I have a doubt here:

If I buy a pair of memory modules and it says the frequency is 1600 MHz does that mean that both run at 1600 MHz or does it mean  that they each run at 800 MHz and they sum up to be 1600 MHz?

P.D: Sorry if the question sounds stupid, it's just to make sure.

The internal rate is 800MHz, but with DDR (double data rate) its effective speed is 1600MHz.

When you run in dual-channel, the effective speed is 3200MHz.

So I have a doubt here:

If I buy a pair of memory modules and it says the frequency is 1600 MHz does that mean that both run at 1600 MHz or does it mean  that they each run at 800 MHz and they sum up to be 1600 MHz?

DDR = double data rate ,so they run at 800mhz internally but have an affective speed of 1600

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hi Mcmacker4,

It doesn't sound stupid, i asked the same question a while back. Each module will run at 1600 MHz, just don't forget you have to change the profile of the kit in the BIOS to make sure they run at the right speed or you might not be getting the performance you pay for.

Hope this helps

SirDrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

Can you link the RAM modules in question?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It means that each memory module is rated to run up to 1600MHz.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Can you link the RAM modules in question?

This is the RAM I bought, they're Kinston HyperX Fury 2x8GB running at 1600MHz (the website is in spanish).

The thing is... CPU-Z says the DRAM Frequency (it's a screenshot of CPU-Z) is 799.6MHz and that's what made me think.

Also in the bios, as far as I know, the frequency is set to auto.

This is the RAM I bought, they're Kinston HyperX Fury 2x8GB running at 1600MHz (the website is in spanish).

The thing is... CPU-Z says the DRAM Frequency (it's a screenshot of CPU-Z) is 799.6MHz and that's what made me think.

Also in the bios, as far as I know, the frequency is set to auto.

Most likely when you plug it in it will run at 1333 (for some reason a lot of 1600hz memory does this) and you have to set it to 1600. I had to do this with mine. Tried xmp but my mobo doesn't have any profiles for 1600hz.

It should be fine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So I have a doubt here:

The internal rate is 800MHz, but with DDR (double data rate) its effective speed is 1600MHz.

When you run in dual-channel, the effective speed is 3200MHz.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The rated speed of the sticks are the same as written on their box. Frequencies do not add up.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

@mcmacker4. Don't forget to mark as solved if you get a satisfied answer. ;)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I think i kind of understand now. Thank you all very much  :)