Do you think optical drives are still necessary?

iJarbus

Hi guys just interested in getting your opinions on if you think an optical drive is still useful/necessary? While I personally think that an optical drive ruins the aesthetics of most cases and wouldn't leave one installed I personally think that having one around is still necessary. The reason I think this is because while installing a new copy of Windows 7 onto my machine Windows didn't install the driver for my motherboards network adapter, so I couldn't go and download the driver because I had no internet connection. It wasn't a big deal I just used the disk to install the driver and then downloaded the rest of the drivers but without an optical drive I would have been up the metaphorical creek without a paddle. I'm just curious to see what you guys think and whether you still have an optical drive on hand?

I haven't used one in 3 years, but I put one in an HTPC I built as a present for my parents.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

lol no. there was a pile at school of about 10 but i didnt even bother picking one up. also ruins looks

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

It is necessary for me coz it takes years to download stuff on the internet connection where I live so I am forced to buy DVD/CD of the games, movies or other stuff that is huge in size to download ! 

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I just keep an external usb one around so I can connect it to things if I ever need a drive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It is necessary for me coz it takes years to download stuff on the internet connection where I live so I am forced to buy DVD/CD of the games, movies or other stuff that is huge in size to download ! 

You're from Australia aren't you ;)

It's still necessary, especially for people like me with a 12mbps down internet connection. I don't particularly feel like downloading the latest copy of Windows when it's faster to go down to the shop and get it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Well I also havent used one for some time now, but it is always good to have one around because you never know when you will need it. So not necesary, but good to have one.  

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

You're from Australia aren't you ;)

Nope.............India !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Good to have when you don't have access to the Internet is my take for optical drive. I was cursing myself when I built my very first PC earlier this year and forgot to include a ODD so I can't install an OS and when I'm done installing the OS I can't install any drivers for my stuff. Tech noob mistakes lol. They still have their place but it is a very niche case even for me

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

An optical drive is mostly unneeded but there will be one or two times when you really need one, an external optical drive is great because you can put it in a drawer and then you just have it when you need it, without compromising aesthetics or utility of having one.

I don't feel that they are needed, but I like the option for a optical bay If I needed one, mainly for ROG Frontpanels / Fan controllers etc. Blueray/Dvd drives, not so much.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Yea. I tried watching a BluRay without one once, was a nightmare.

Also I don't live in a country where downloading HD video is feasible.

Yep. Not only because of internet issues but they still haven't sussed out the USB thing. There's a ton of cases on this board where the USB won't work on a new build. Maybe by Skylake they'll have worked it out but it's still not there for reliability to do without.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

ODDs are NOT necessary but they can be useful. 

I do not feel they detract from the aesthetics at all, and are pretty handy if your connection 'sucks the big one'.

A NIC driver can be put onto USB sticks[1] then all updated drivers can be downloaded from the 'net, slowly if your connection "STBO".

[1]Building a network from the ground (up i.e. assembling the individual computers[ some with desktop O/Ses some with server O/Ses] then wiring them together) I couldn't get my network to link to the internet I borrowed a WAN driver from a colleague, on a USB (stick whatever you want to call it) and used that to get online.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

It will now be eight years since i have used one, so for me it is not needed.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Having an external USB optical drive saves space in your rig and you can store them really easily. Only negative is it might make your case look weird if you cant put something else in its place.

Although most of the time you can get away without optical trays, they still come in handy sometimes, especially when you have technological neanderthals who want you to burn CDs or DVDs for them ;)

I got a USB DVD drive so I didn't have to buy a new one for every one of the multiple PC's in my house that didn't have one. Unfortunately I still think we will need them for a long time into the future or when global internet speeds are fast enough (probably never going to happen).

Not really, has become obsolete over the past few years. Everything is all internet based. Not that aesthetically pleasing too. You could always pick-up an external optical drive and use it through USB, if necessary.

I have room for it in my case but I'd have to open a door to get at it. I do need one but not right away.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I just keep an external usb one around so I can connect it to things if I ever need a drive

this. When I built my C70 I did buy a blu-ray reader/writer, but used it once or twice so I took it out.

I plan to use it one day when I replace my HTPC

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

Nope.  YOu can easily set it up to you never need one, even if you have crappy interwebs.

I keep a usb with windows installed, so i can run that if i ever need to a clean install.  Any large application like games I just shuffle around onto other hardrives then move back to avoid big downloads.  For me it works as well or better than an optical.

Considering I still buy CDs and DVDs as I hate digital music and films, they are for me. So I always have one laying around and one in my system.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"