Microsoft will reportedly end Nokia and Windows Phone branding

Aniallation

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/10/rip-nokia-windows-phone-branding/?ncid=rss_truncated

http://geekongadgets.com/2014/09/10/windows-phone-nokia-replaced-by-microsoft-windows/

We've been wondering how Microsoft would coordinate Nokia and Lumia branding after purchasing the phone maker earlier this year. Well, according to an internal document obtained by GeekOnGadgets, we'll see changes take place soon. For starters, Nokia will be dropped from upcoming gadgets, but the Lumia moniker will remain. The report states that the Lumia 830 and 730 will be the last two handsets to feature Nokia's livery. What's more, it seems Windows Phone stands to be trimmed down to just Windows, bringing the mobile and desktop operating systems under the same designation. The decision to omit "Phone" isn't too much of a surprise though, as the recent HTC One (M8) for Windows already did just that.

A confidential internal document we received has shed some light on the future of devices produced by Microsoft Mobile, formerly Nokia’s devices and services division. It’s no secret that Microsoft are trying to hide the Nokia name from products, ever so slowly, regional Nokia.com sites have already begun redirecting users to Microsoft owned pages; and the word “Nokia” is hardly ever mentioned when referencing new devices.

Now we can confirm that Microsoft will be completely dropping the “Nokia” branding from their devices, leaving “Lumia” as the hero brand for upcoming devices. In fact we understand that the Lumia 830 and Lumia 730 will be the final two devices to launch with “Nokia” branded on the phone.  Future devices will most likely carry the “Microsoft” name along with “Lumia”.

Furthermore the document also reveals that Microsoft is shying away from placing the Windows Phone logo next to their devices in promotions and advertisements, and will instead place the standard Windows logo alongside them (sans the  “Phone”). In fact we understand, from a source with knowledge of the plans, that this is part of the preparation to leave the “Windows Phone” logo behind, as part of a gradual phase out of the Windows Phone name (and OS) which will merge with the desktop version of Windows in the upcoming updates (i.e. no Windows Phone 9).

"Rawr XD"

Come on, you have over 3k posts. You should know how formatting works

FIX THAT SHIT

576d456d14.png

Why should he? :P

FIX THAT SHIT

576d456d14.png
I'm trying but I'm on my Pentium M laptop and it's driving me nuts

Nobody forced you to use the dark theme

"Rawr XD"

I'm trying but I'm on my Pentium M laptop and it's driving me nuts

• CTRL+A
  • CTRL+SHIFT+V

FIX THAT SHIT

576d456d14.png

haha IP.Board default FTW.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• CTRL+A
  • CTRL+SHIFT+V

More like:

• CTRL+A
  • CTRL+C
  • CTRL+SHIFT+V

That's what resulted in the mess you saw.

Fixed it. Had to 

• CTRL+A
  • CTRL+C
  • Right click
  • Paste as plain text

Nobody's forcing you to use dark theme

"Rawr XD"

That's what resulted in the mess you saw.

Fixed it. Had to 

• CTRL+A
  • CTRL+C
  • Right click
  • Paste as plain text

Nobody's forcing you to use dark theme

Nobody is, you're right. But regular theme is ugly as all fuck

FIX THAT SHIT

576d456d14.png

How in fuck do you get that theme. So sick of my eyes bleeding from all the white.

And good to know that my windows phone is now officially an antique. I wonder if it will be worth something to a museum in 20 or 30 years. Better stick it in an argon filled glass case.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

How in fuck do you get that theme. So sick of my eyes bleeding from all the white.

And good to know that my windows phone is now officially an antique. I wonder if it will be worth something to a museum in 20 or 30 years. Better stick it in an argon filled glass case.

bottom of the page

8c4f0ccb25.png

bottom of the page

8c4f0ccb25.png

Oh my god thank you whoever you are. I never knew about this until now. May you be blessed with Titan Zs and cats.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

bottom of the page

8c4f0ccb25.png

Ermageeeerd. It's so much better now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I remember seeing this earlier today... Forgot to post it because of Destiny.

:P

Either way, I don't get why Microsoft is killing the Nokia and Windows Phone branding. Well, for the latter, a rename may be a good thing, because it may boost sales. I dunno, but for the former, it really does make no sense.

Nokia is an established brand that's been around forever. People trust Nokia. Quite frankly, a lot of people aren't well informed with technology, so whatever Microsoft renames Nokia to, people will be like "What is this crap? Never heard of them. Not gonna bother with them." They don't do a lick of research, and Microsoft should really keep that in mind. 

Not a good move.

COMIC SANS

I remember seeing this earlier today... Forgot to post it because of Destiny.

:P

Either way, I don't get why Microsoft is killing the Nokia and Windows Phone branding. Well, for the latter, a rename may be a good thing, because it may boost sales. I dunno, but for the former, it really does make no sense.

Nokia is an established brand that's been around forever. People trust Nokia. Quite frankly, a lot of people aren't well informed with technology, so whatever Microsoft renames Nokia to, people will be like "What is this crap? Never heard of them. Not gonna bother with them." They don't do a lick of research, and Microsoft should really keep that in mind. 

Not a good move.

They can't use the Nokia brand forever because it belongs to Nokia. When they purchased the phone hardware division they were granted the rights to use Nokia branding for 18 months. The phones were always known as "Nokia Lumia" and now they will just be "Lumia". As for the Windows Phone branding, it is assumed it will just be branded as "Windows" without the "Phone" portion. They are doing that because it is speculated Microsoft is merging Windows RT and Windows Phone OS into a single OS (for phones and ARM-based tablets), so still calling it "Windows Phone" wouldn't make much sense.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

They can't use the Nokia brand forever because it belongs to Nokia. When they purchased the phone hardware division they were granted the rights to use Nokia branding for 18 months. The phones were always known as "Nokia Lumia" and now they will just be "Lumia". As for the Windows Phone branding, it is assumed it will just be branded as "Windows" without the "Phone" portion. They are doing that because it is speculated Microsoft is merging Windows RT and Windows Phone OS into a single OS (for phones and ARM-based tablets), so still calling it "Windows Phone" wouldn't make much sense.

I wasn't aware of that whole Nokia naming scheme thing, so thanks for clearing that up. 

Anyways, for their unison OS, if Windows Phone is included in it, then ya, it does make sense.

COMIC SANS

I wasn't aware of that whole Nokia naming scheme thing, so thanks for clearing that up. 

Anyways, for their unison OS, if WIndows Phone is included in it, then ya, it does make sense.

No problem. :)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit