sky lake cpu (mid 2015) will have (much?) better integrated gpu than broadwell (oct 2014)?

Go to solution Solved by patrickjp93,

I doubt Skylake iGPU will be on the level of Broadwell Iris on your everyday consumers' chips though (the ones I had in mind). Sure, it *might* do so in titles up to 2014, but I doubt that will be true for what ever will be relased by the time Skylake comes out. Or do you have specifics beyond speculation on the iGPU in question to back such assertions?

As for questioning my sanity... I feel quite offended by that statement.

Games don't grow computationally demanding at the rate scientific programs do, which is one reason I believe Skylake's iGPU will be more than enough for most games at 1080p, even in 2016.

Hello (stewie voice),

do you have info on the skylakes' integrated gpu being a good chunk more powerful then the broadwells one? Because when the release date is just half a year later, then I am totally cool waiting for the new architecture to come out.

What do you think personally? I think it is a smart choice to skip the tick and go straight to skylake, also DDR4 will be available (2133MHZ) and maybe more new implementations.

regards

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

If Intel could just stop that would be great. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Why would anybody care? 

I care.

edit: for MacBooks its great.

Nobody has any info really but it'd be a safe bet to say it'll be better, yeah.

I care.

Well for pooptops it is great. But for Desktops even something like Sandy Bridge would suffice. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well for pooptops it is great. But for Desktops even something like Sandy Bridge would suffice. 

tags man, tags.

for desktops it was never necessary to upgrade since bloomfield..

I care.

DDR4 in macbooks O_O I think why not since by that time they'll be high caps = for more money, lower wattage & higher frequencies.

I don't think it's something to be excited for now since we aren't seeing the benefits or disadvantages compared to Broadwell.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If Intel could just stop that would be great. 

Integrated graphics is a great thing, sure not as good as a dedicated GPU, but its still nice to have in case you don't have a GPU.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Integrated graphics is a great thing, sure not as good as a dedicated GPU, but its still nice to have in case you don't have a GPU.

ofc it is, it's the future.

If you will do gaming only occasionally at 1080p resolution, Skylake will be able to deliver reasonable performance (probably not at ultra high settings though :P ) AFAIK.

I am seriously thinking about Skylake as my next rig. Although I doubt I will have a use for its iGPU.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

DDR4 in macbooks O_O I think why not since by that time they'll be high caps = for more money, lower wattage & higher frequencies.

I don't think it's something to be excited for now since we aren't seeing the benefits or disadvantages compared to Broadwell.

Good point, but the Iris inside is what I hope will be a big step forward going with the new architecture.

Although I doubt I will have a use for its iGPU.

Well for desktop use (gaming rig or whatever) it sure is not a big deal, but for me (notebook user) it is a huge deal :D 

Good point, but the Iris inside is what I hope will be a big step forward going with the new architecture.

I'm sure with even the best technologies currently, there's still quite a couple places will be ventured further into besides igpu. With some of the best pc's that being mac or windows based they'll get the benefit of the doubt improvements will be made.

I'd hope to see the ultrabook & macbook air line-up sku get discrete graphics with smaller, tighter processing nodes & smaller but power efficient mobile gpu's. Definitely 12 hour + batteries with lightening fast batteries. 

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Well for desktop use (gaming rig or whatever) it sure is not a big deal, but for me (notebook user) it is a huge deal :D

It will be especially good if it's able to compete with low-mid end discrete GPUs (sucha as nvidia x40M/x50M series) and be power efficient. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

-

Now I see this happening by the time skylake will be around, however mobile gpu's not so much like most of the other components development, since heavy work where cuda is needed and raw graphics horsepower, will be done on desktops anyways. Although surely it will not stop to evolve as nvidia/amd is not sleeping. But if you ask me, I want all that and a juicy igpu's. :)

If you will do gaming only occasionally at 1080p resolution, Skylake will be able to deliver reasonable performance (probably not at ultra high settings though :P ) AFAIK.

I am seriously thinking about Skylake as my next rig. Although I doubt I will have a use for its iGPU.

Iris Pro 5200 provides 832 GFlops of performance.

Broadwell Iris 6200 provides 2 Teraflops (2.4x increase)

If you think Skylake (with unified memory & DDR4 on a completely revised GPU architecture) won't play CURRENT TITLES at 1080p on high/ultra, I have to question your sanity.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Iris Pro 5200 provides 832 GFlops of performance.

Broadwell Iris 6200 provides 2 Teraflops (2.4x increase)

If you think Skylake (with unified memory & DDR4 on a completely revised GPU architecture) won't play 1080p on high/ultra, I have to question your sanity.

I doubt Skylake iGPU will be on the level of Broadwell Iris on your everyday consumers' chips though (the ones I had in mind). Sure, it *might* do so in titles up to 2014, but I doubt that will be true for what ever will be relased by the time Skylake comes out. Or do you have specifics beyond speculation on the iGPU in question to back such assertions?

Spoiler

Games don't grow computationally demanding at the rate scientific programs do, which is one reason I believe Skylake's iGPU will be more than enough for most games at 1080p, even in 2016.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Keep in mind that skylake will be out there mid 2015 for e.g. MacBooks, thats why I think it is not really clever to buy upcoming notebooks with broadwells inside. Can't wait for a sleek macbook/ultrabook with super durable battery life due to no dedicated gpu and still decent graphics performance. In a desktop environment I wouldn't even look at the igpu since a dedicated graphics card is a must in that case.

Keep in mind that skylake will be out there mid 2015 for e.g. MacBooks, thats why I think it is not really clever to buy upcoming notebooks with broadwells inside. Can't wait for a sleek macbook/ultrabook with super durable battery life due to no dedicated gpu and still decent graphics performance. In a desktop environment I wouldn't even look at the igpu since a dedicated graphics card is a must in that case.

We don't know if Skylake is coming to mobile first in the same fashion as the Haswell/Broadwell launches. Intel could, and will if they're intelligent, launch the desktop and Atom lines, hold out for 3 months, and then release mobile.

Also, dGPUs are not a must in the desktop environment unless you play MMOs or the most recently made games on high settings. People on this forum have overclocked the Iris Pro 5200 iGPU to 3GHz and have been able to play most games on high settings without greatly increasing heat output.

There's also the fact software will have to move to being heterogeneous to get performance boosts. The days of dedicated CPUs are dead.

Integrated graphics is a waste of CPU die space that should be occupied by something that is actually useful, like CPU cores.

Integrated graphics is a waste of CPU die space that should be occupied by something that is actually useful, like CPU cores.

What about those who don't have a graphics card? or don't have space/money for one?

Integrated isn't hurting anything, currently I am quite thankful for how powerful integrated graphics has become as I currently am using it. (Saving for something such as a gtx 760 or 770.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What about those who don't have a graphics card? or don't have space/money for one?

Integrated isn't hurting anything, currently I am quite thankful for how powerful integrated graphics has become as I currently am using it. (Saving for something such as a gtx 760 or 770.)

You could just use a $20 GPU in the mean time. Wouldn't you rather have more CPU cores over a shitty iGPU?

You could just use a $20 GPU in the mean time. Wouldn't you rather have more CPU cores over a shitty iGPU?

The iGPU of the i5 4690K is quite powerful, and really any gpu under $100 or so is just a waste.

Can it compare to a high end GPU? No, that's because it is not made to.