Refurbished Hardware - Yay or Nay

jscho

My local online PC store is having a huge sale on refurbed hardware, 90% GPUs. What are the pros and cons to reburbed hardware? Are there any major risks?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

As long as there is some sort of warranty on it, I don't see why not. I mean they aren't exactly going to sell you broken stuff so as long as the stuff works fine I don't see why you shouldn't get them.

I guess there is a possibility of a reduced lifespan on certain products like hard drives or something that have been perhaps used excesvily.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

can you share the site?

PC Case Gear, of course. - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?tab=Clearance&cPath=67

There's heaps of old GPUs and motherboards.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Pretty much all my refurbs have turned out fine so I don't see why not. It will depend on who refurbs the item.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hmm well even if they give warranty i would stay clear... you get 1 year warranty, that is nice, but when a gpu is busted, the only real way to fix it is to bake the card, i have not seen many other ways, sure you can replace a part, but i don't think stores do that.

If they bake a card that means that it might work now, be dead in 2 days, or weeks, but it can also be dead a few days after, but you still paid too much, this is not like buying a car that had a bad engine or something, i saw some cards on that list, you can get 670 ( not Asus ) for 30 $ more, so i don't see the value in this, now if the price was mid 260$ for the 399$ card, that would be nice, it's not only about the "broken" thing you get it's also about sending stuff that was broken to warranty, so you lose time as well.

On the other hand it might be that cards BIOS was broken, and they just fixed it, or the product needed firmware changes, it's too risky in my opinion

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Pc case gear have a good rma section and I would shop around first. Remember guys this is an Australian website so prices are completely different to the states and UK

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Don't they give you only like 30 days of warranty on refurbished hardware? If they had warranty like a normal card did and it had a huge discount, I would get one.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Those prices suck, not worth it IMO.

Agreed. A GTX 680 for $500? A 7870 HAWK for $240? You can get brand new GPUs for that same exact price...

Agreed. A GTX 680 for $500? A 7870 HAWK for $240? You can get brand new GPUs for that same exact price...

Aussie prices are much higher.

I bought two refurbished 560 Ti's 2GB for $250 each.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just FYI, repairing a GPU is not really realistic; "refurbished" doesn't mean broken and repaired, it just means it was returned by the customer, and by law it cannot be sold as "new" in that case.  The seal on the box even could be intact, it can be returned for any reason including the customer just deciding they didn't want it after all or wanted something else.  They are verified to be working to spec fully and then sold as refurbished.  The worst that could be wrong with it is some cosmetic damage but that's usually rare.

I bought two refurbished 560 Ti's 2GB for $250 each.

And how are they going?

And how are they going?

Sold them both, but they were going strong. Overclocked the GPUs as well by 28MHz(from 820MHz). They were at 950MHz at one point, but couldn't run them at that frequency with a fan speed of 40%(goal). So I bumped them down.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch