Windows Blue (8.1)

Does anyone know when and how Windows Blue will be released? I am actually quiet excited for this update, for multiple reasons. Start button (I know it brings you to metro UI, but It's nice to have start button) and IE11, it looks amazing and has webgl support :). So does anyone know how you will get this update, will you have to buy it, just update windows, or download it from a website, and how it will be released?

Anybody else excited? Or am I the only one LOL.

UPDATE: Found a bunch of answers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Blue

There will be a public beta June 26, 2013. Still need to know If I need to pay or not, probably not, but knowing is always good.

Case: Corsair 350D Windowed Motherboard: ASRock Pro4-M CPU: Intel i3-3320 Cooler: Stock(upgrade) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600MHz Red GPU: Asus GTX DCUIIOC 650 ti  PSU: Corsair CX500 SSD: Samsung 840 128Gb

Monitor: HP 2159M, Random DELL 1280x1024 Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70  Mouse: SteelSeries Black Ops 2 edition Mouse Pad: Unsure Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v2 Blue Frost edition Labtec LT-820 Microphone: Blue Snowball: Frost

I'll probably upgrade from 7 when this comes out.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

I'll probably upgrade from 7 when this comes out.

It still has no start menu (the "new" start button goes to metro), and the awesome transparency effects, which were great on windows 7, are still not coming back, so you still need to use some tweaks and get annoyed at the touch based UI. At least they are making slight progress though.

HTTP/2 203

It still has no start menu (the "new" start button goes to metro), and the awesome transparency effects, which were great on windows 7, are still not coming back, so you still need to use some tweaks and get annoyed at the touch based UI. At least they are making slight progress though.

Well I'll give it a try at least. The Straight to Desktop option is what intrigues me the most. Don't worry I won't be paying for it yet.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

Metro does not exists.. it's Modern UI, and that is a design language. Nothing more, nothing else.

The Start Button will open the Start Screen, as you mentioned. This is not a U-Turn from Microsoft like BBC suggests (just to clarify that). It's Microsoft realizing that what they thought that people would click at the bottom left corner of the screen instinctively, are actually looking for visual clues as it's a new OS. So, the button will be back by default, so that people don't get stuck in the first Modern UI app or on the desktop.

The Start Screen is more powerful than the Start Menu, and it easier to navigate with any input device, including mouse and keyboard. You need to learn how to use the Start Screen. But instead of spending 10-15min doing that, you go on forums and complain in a non-constructive way ('cause if you used it, and comfortable with it, as you would know how to use it, would be a lot more detailed on what is wrong with it, if any, instead of saying 'it sucks'), wasting more time.

Transparency effect has been removed due to heavy complaints that the desktop didn't fit with the Modern UI layout. And as much as the glass effect was cool, its been removed. Read here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

We have appreciated seeing people on various sites post screenshots of their proposed designs for “Metro-izing” the visual appearance of the desktop. It is exciting to see the interest and passion that goes into designing them!

We spent a lot of energy carefully considering how substantially to update the appearance of the desktop in Windows 8. We looked at many, many pictures, and considered hundreds of designs. Our primary goal was to bring visual harmony to Windows, while still preserving much of the familiar feel of the Windows 7 desktop and not sacrificing the compatibility of existing apps.

In the end, we decided to bring the desktop closer to the Metro aesthetic, while preserving the compatibility afforded by not changing the size of window chrome, controls, or system UI. We have moved beyond Aero Glass—flattening surfaces, removing reflections, and scaling back distracting gradients.

[...]

8270.Desktop_2D00_theme_5F00_0459AA86.pn

So, don't complain.

There is no tweaks needed, and nothing to get annoyed by the 'touch based UI'. You don't want to learn, and read and you are close minded. That simple. And you spread false information to others, which I find unacceptable.

Metro does not exists.. it's Modern UI, and that is a design language. Nothing more, nothing else.

The Start Button will open the Start Screen. This is not a U-Turn from Microsoft like BBC suggests. It's Microsoft realizing that what they thought that people would click at the bottom left corner of the screen instinctively, are actually looking for visual clues as it's a new OS. So the button will be back by default, so that people don't get stuck in the first Modern UI app or on the desktop.

The Start Screen is way more powerful than the Start Menu, and it easier to navigate with any input device, including mouse and keyboard. You need to learn how to use the Start Screen. But instead of spending 10-15min doing that, you go on forums and complain, wasting more time.

Transparency effect has been removed due to heavy complaints that the desktop didn't fit with the Modern UI layout. And as much as the glass effect was cool, its been removed. Read here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

So, don't complain.

There is no tweaks needed, and nothing to get annoyed by the 'touch based UI'. You don't want to learn, and read and you are close minded. That simple. And you spread false information to others, which I find unacceptable.

Sorry if I made it sound like it was awful, it's just my opinion that the "modern UI" isn't as intuitive to use, and I don't actually own a copy of it (my brother had RP for several months and hated it). I, along with many other people, didn't see any problem with the desktop and therefore no need to change it. I like being able to run 4 programs at once in separate windows, and while it might be possible on windows store apps (I think you can only have up to 3), it's not so convenient. While they removed the "Glass" appearance, as you said, to make it look more modern to fit with the theme, it is my and many other people's option that glass made windows look good, and while they still let people use transparency by tweaking stuff, but it looks stupid without the glass effect, and doesn't really count. When I mentioned transparency effects, I was referring to glass.

If I wanted to use the computer without touching the keyboard, which happens from time to time, the mouse movements required to navigate are massive. I'm not saying you couldn't get used to it, but I, and many other people, find if less efficient and therefore a bit of a waste of time.

They did make improvements to the boot time, and a few other things behind the scenes, but generally windows 8 is, in many people's opinion, a lot of effort for very little gain. I won't be buying it, but I respect the opinions of the people who do. It's just not for me.

The above post is my personal opinion and should not be used as proof for anything. It may not be completely accurate, but I have provided it as guidance for the original poster, who asked whether other people were excited about Windows Blue. I was simply justifying my opinion.

HTTP/2 203

Yeah, some people do dislike the modern UI, but some actually like it a lot, like me. :)

It's actually not that bad, lol. I only have desktop, calculator and control panel on my UI, so not a lot of navigating.

Case: Corsair 350D Windowed Motherboard: ASRock Pro4-M CPU: Intel i3-3320 Cooler: Stock(upgrade) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600MHz Red GPU: Asus GTX DCUIIOC 650 ti  PSU: Corsair CX500 SSD: Samsung 840 128Gb

Monitor: HP 2159M, Random DELL 1280x1024 Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70  Mouse: SteelSeries Black Ops 2 edition Mouse Pad: Unsure Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v2 Blue Frost edition Labtec LT-820 Microphone: Blue Snowball: Frost

Anyone else notice that the section about Windows 8.1 on the Windows 8 Wikipedia article is section 8.1? Haha

Anyone else notice that the section about Windows 8.1 on the Windows 8 Wikipedia article is section 8.1? Haha

HAHA, oh the irony!