Issues with newly installed Corsair H90 and i7 4790K

Hi guys,

Cooler: Corsair H90 
CPU: Intel i7 4790K

I am devastated. Devastated because my computer wont work the way it should and I feel like giving up on it.

Last week, my CPU temperature shop up to 100C on all four cores as I was using the Intel boxed stock cooler. I got worried and decided to buy myself a water cooler that evening. It has now arrived and I installed the H90 just 30 minutes ago. Note that this is my first time ever installing a cooler.

I proceeded to remove the paste on the CPU that came from the boxed Intel stock cooler before mounting the C90 on there. Used the thermal paste that comes pre-applied on the H90 when installing the new cooler. I suspect I encountered some issues when it was time to mount the cooling head on the CPU. I was not able to screw the H90 "tightly" on to the back of the mobo, as the screws just would go around in circles on the back plate after a while, meaning they would not "stop" rotating, no matter how much I screwed. They still went in to them though, because as I rotated the thumbscrews, I could see the fittings on the back plate rotating at the same time.

I decided to go with it after having done all I can to get a tight fit. Booted my PC and checked RealTemp to see that I have gone from 35C idle (using stock cooler) to around 25C, now using the water cooler! Happy days.

OK, so I went to prim95, pressed torture test and then 8 threads (I have a i7 4790k). Immediately the CPU went to 100% load and the temps shot up to:

Core 1: 94C 
Core 2: 100C

Core 3: 97C

Core 4: 89C

Stopped the test after 10 seconds because I am afraid it will damage my hardware.

Is my installation of  the water cooler faulty? What can I do? I have no thermal compound at home so I cant re-do it...

ANY help is highly appreciated.

Intel i7 4790K | Corsair Hydro Series H90 Asus Z97-A | Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz | Corsair RM750 PSU | 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | 1TB WD Blue | Fractal Design Define R4

Is the fan on the cooler spinning up?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Is the fan on the cooler spinning up?

I suspect I will have to set a fan speed profile? I have the radiator fan connected to a case fan slot, and the pump connected to the CPU fan on the motherboard?

Intel i7 4790K | Corsair Hydro Series H90 Asus Z97-A | Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz | Corsair RM750 PSU | 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | 1TB WD Blue | Fractal Design Define R4

Uhhhh, did you plug the fans into the fan header?

Is the block snug against the chip?

Was the thermal compound dry?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Uhhhh, did you plug the fans into the fan header?

Is the block snug against the chip?

Was the thermal compound dry?

I have one fan on my radiator, and it is connected to CHA_FAN 1, so a case fan.

The block is, at least what I can feel, up against the CPU tightly.

Never touched the compound so I could not tell you.

This is how my BIOS looks like http://i.imgur.com/yIJZcUl.jpg

Should I create a custom fan profile for the radiator fan?

I don't know what to tell you, it looks like the radiator just isn't dissipating heat. Try RMAing it and see what happens. Before you try that you could give it a super aggressive fan curve, and see if that does anything though

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The pump should always be at 100%

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Pump should always be at 95-100% and fans at 50% minimum.

It sounds like the problem is with the way you mounted it. Go back and make sure it is mounted properly. Read the manual, watch videos, etc.. it is not working the way you currently have it. You will most likely need to buy more thermal paste also.

Lastly, Prime95. Make sure that you set your voltage to manual/override before running any stress test, especially P95. Failure to do so will result in excessive heat and potential death of the CPU. Prime95 is going to run hot, but 100C is too hot. I think the 70s or 80s are what you should be hitting with that cooler on stock settings at manual voltage.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

from what i see, your H90 pump either isn't plugged in or your limiting the pump

speed unnecessarily. pump speed of the H90 should be 2200rpm +/- 100rpm.

CPU_FAN reporting 1150rpm is not correct. also the fan speed 100% is 1500rpm.