64 GB of ram being 100 percent or almost 100 percent utilized?

This question just popped into my head. Who actually needs 64 gigs of ram? And I was wondering if any of you could find an example where people could be using all that ram for productivity and running actual programs that they would need. Or someone with 10000 tabs open in chrome.

Video editing. It uses ALL of your ram. A 20 second clip in after effects caps out my 16GB of ram.

Also 3d modelling and rendering, particle simulations, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Video editing. It uses ALL of your ram. A 20 second clip in after effects caps out my 16GB of ram.

Also 3d modelling and rendering, particle simulations, etc...

Only on heavy, multilayered stuff. Video editing on my rig does not use all 64GB of RAM, and rarely passes 50.

Only on heavy, multilayered stuff. Video editing on my rig does not use all 64GB of RAM, and rarely passes 50.

Well I was talking about after effects...

In stuff like vegas you can limit the max ram that it can cache to.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This question just popped into my head. Who actually needs 64 gigs of ram? And I was wondering if any of you could find an example where people could be using all that ram for productivity and running actual programs that they would need. Or someone with 10000 tabs open in chrome.

VMs. Trust me, I could stack enough VMs to use every bit of 64GB of RAM. The bottleneck would probably be the CPU at that point though. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I was messing around with VM's at a computer shop my friend used to work at, we set up a dual opteron system with 128GB's of ram and we maxed out the ram at like 90GB's or something like that before the CPU's was unable to run more VM's lol

I was talking about After Effects as well. It has to be pretty intense video for it to use all of my RAM, so most people will never have a need for 64GB.

if you've never used a ramdisk, you should try it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I was talking about After Effects as well. It has to be pretty intense video for it to use all of my RAM, so most people will never have a need for 64GB.

Edzel has 64GB's of RAM in his computer at LMG so yeah! :D

Relevant update in the life of Vitalius: My FreeNAS server is dangerously close to running out of RAM with 32GB. Time to double up to 64GB. Yay. More RAM for Minecraft.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

A RAMdisk for extremely fast volatile storage primarily for enthusiasts.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |