Problem OCing a 7950 from XFX

diaxis

something weird is happening, i dont oc my card a lot, its the first time i really try to push a card.

The problem is that when i OC the core clock everything is fine but if I move up even of 1 mhz the memory clock i get like a 20 fps drop in every benchmark( heaven, fur mark, etc), idea anyone?

Yeah, the core clock is the most important thing to OC :D

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

whats your core clock at?
I'm at 1055 Mhz

memory overclocks often cause instability and very small if any gains that are only shown in benchmarks if even.

so overclock the core not the memory.the cards trying to help you,aside from speaking to and telling you what I just did I can't see anymore that the graphics card could do to be more convenient.it's like OC'ing made idiot proof.good job XFX xD

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

memory overclocks often cause instability and very small if any gains that are only shown in benchmarks if even.

so overclock the core not the memory.the cards trying to help you,aside from speaking to and telling you what I just did I can't see anymore that the graphics card could do to be more convenient.it's like OC'ing made idiot proof.good job XFX xD

well i'll oc the core only, its just that I've always seen oc of memory, my old 6790 was able of a 100mhz oc of the memory but hey i wont complain, i get 300 more points in heaven witth my oc