BSOD On start up.

Go to solution Solved by jrga,

EDIT: I WAS WRONG.

I bought a new mobo thinking it would fix the problem and it did...for about 3 days. it seems it is the CPU so im looking to get an RMA on it or ill just do a full upgrade. Others having this problem, test with a new motherboard for a few days before concluding its the mobo.

Right update: 
Motherboard problem, everything booted fine and survived a 12 hour Prime95 and Furmark test on a friend's board. Anyone having the same problem first increase your VCore voltage! Mine wasn't delivering enough power outright possible from the overclock that slowly degraded some capacitor or other component, that is my best guess.

Unfortunately all my OC settings are saved on this board and I could only migrate them to another Asrock board which since I have had two fail in the past year I wont be doing.

A new board is going to be ordered or I might take this as a sign to upgrade to Haswell, not sure for the moment.

So here's the solution: 

1. First increase Vcore (possibly labelled VTT) voltage even up to 1.20v if you feel its necessary.
  2. If no result try another board to rule out the possibility of it being CPU related
  3. If its the board it will most likely be from degraded components so a replace or RMA will be in order

tl;dr: Throw voltage or money at it.

Hey guys,

Usually im pretty good at troubleshooting and fixing problems but I've recently been having a serious problem of one of my desktops (my main one) not booting to windows but can access BIOS.

It started with random blue screens and now I cant boot at all.

The BSOD error code is 0124 which after a quick search got me to increasing the VTT voltage. But to no avail (even up to 1.20v).

So im at a real standstill here and would appreciate any help. 

Obligatory bluescreen picture of error:

K4Q7pWO.jpg

Thanks in advance 

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Can you boot into safe mode? Have you tried updating the BIOS? I would really like this information if I am to have any chance helping you.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Can you boot into safe mode? Have you tried updating the BIOS? I would really like this information if I am to have any chance helping you.

Yes cleared CMOS multiple times AND flashed the BIOS, cant boot into safe mode or into any OS (im tribooted: Ubuntu, Mac OSX, and Win7) even off a disk or USB

Probably problem with memory, have you ran memtest86 yet ?

Ran memtest86 for 24 hours no errors.

If this is on your monster that i know of, try lowering your clock, or upping your voltage.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

If this is on your monster that i know of, try lowering your clock, or upping your voltage.

Since I cleared CMOS its all back to stock.

Oke just test out cpu if possible and try swapping in different gfx card to see if its the gfx tough probably not gfx.

No need fo' that, 124 refers to core voltage or vtt, if it does not work with any of these, try changing it to other mobo. Have you tried booting off of a windows install stick?

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Yes cleared CMOS multiple times AND flashed the BIOS, cant boot into safe mode or into any OS (im tribooted: Ubuntu, Mac OSX, and Win7) even off a disk or USB

Ok, sounds like a CPU problem. You don't by any chance have a diffrent motherboard you could try the CPU in?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Oke just test out cpu if possible and try swapping in different gfx card to see if its the gfx tough probably not gfx.

Yep changed out everything: Sound card, wifi card, hdd and ssd, stripped it to bare minimum but still nothing :(

Ok, sounds like a CPU problem. You don't by any chance have a diffrent motherboard you could try the CPU in?

Getting a friend to bring one over, see if it's the Mobo or the cpu

No need fo' that, 124 refers to core voltage or vtt, if it does not work with any of these, try changing it to other mobo. Have you tried booting off of a windows install stick?

Yep I've booted off almost everything I have just get blue screens or kernel panics

I refuse to believe that monster is dead, maybe try and downclock it?

I refuse to believe that monster is dead, maybe try and downclock it?

I'd give it a proper Viking send off: Small boat, Fire, water fall. 

I'd give it a proper Viking send off: Small boat, Fire, water fall. 

Lol, any news? :D

Lol, any news? :D

Friend round tomorrow, should have said. If its the mobo then great ill order a new one, if its the CPU i'll go through and honour its will.

Hmm, when exactly does it go into blue screen? When the windows logo shows up or before that? I have found that a lot of start up blue screens are caused by Ram, and not even faulty Ram. Have you tried using different Ram? And what size Ram sticks are you using? 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Try underclocking it although I would be very surprised if stock had issues, especially suddenly and randomly. It did used to work, right...? Try the CPU in another mobo, and test the RAM too. MemTest doesn't find all errors, but if it's crashing in startup, I would have expected it to find the issue. It could be a faulty mobo I guess, but again, if you can launch memtest it's unlikely. Probably a CPU issue because it only appears to crash when you put it under (very minor) load ie. loading a large file.

HTTP/2 203

Any updates? :(

EDIT: I WAS WRONG.

I bought a new mobo thinking it would fix the problem and it did...for about 3 days. it seems it is the CPU so im looking to get an RMA on it or ill just do a full upgrade. Others having this problem, test with a new motherboard for a few days before concluding its the mobo.

Right update: 
Motherboard problem, everything booted fine and survived a 12 hour Prime95 and Furmark test on a friend's board. Anyone having the same problem first increase your VCore voltage! Mine wasn't delivering enough power outright possible from the overclock that slowly degraded some capacitor or other component, that is my best guess.

Unfortunately all my OC settings are saved on this board and I could only migrate them to another Asrock board which since I have had two fail in the past year I wont be doing.

A new board is going to be ordered or I might take this as a sign to upgrade to Haswell, not sure for the moment.

So here's the solution: 

1. First increase Vcore (possibly labelled VTT) voltage even up to 1.20v if you feel its necessary.
  2. If no result try another board to rule out the possibility of it being CPU related
  3. If its the board it will most likely be from degraded components so a replace or RMA will be in order

tl;dr: Throw voltage or money at it.

which Asrock are you using?   

*muttering under my breath*

*please don't let it be the extreme 4......please don't let be the extreme 4....please don't let be the extreme 4*

• 2 weeks later...

which Asrock are you using?   

*muttering under my breath*

*please don't let it be the extreme 4......please don't let be the extreme 4....please don't let be the extreme 4*

First was an Extreme 11, this was the extreme 4 BUT i have concluded it wasnt the mobo so dont wory. I do really like this board though! I was sad when I replaced with with a new gigabyte D3H but now its back :)

why did you go from extreme 11 to 4 and then dh3 back to 4?

I bought the extreme 4 about 2 month ago but haven't used it yet because I need to rma my gtx 670ftw edition first before I start to assemble my new build.  I just hope Asrock doesn't give me any headaches.....I really don't need it.