Need help to get the most of my PC

GUIGuy

Hi Guys, I would really appreciate some know how from you pros. I built my first gaming PC for my son who plays a lot of steam games and really enjoyed it. The thing is I'm not totally convinced we are getting the best performance we possibly could. My son can play pretty much all his games on high settings and he is getting on average 50/60 FPS, Please see a small list below.

Far cry 3

Thief

Skyrim

Battlefield BC2

I realise that these numbers aren't setting the world on fire and even more so when he tries to play Metro Last Light. This is when stuff gets really bad and the FPS drops right down to 4 !!!!!! I have detailed the PC spec below and would be soooo grateful if someone could come back with some useful info.

CPU. i5 3570k

Motherboard. Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Ram. 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU. Radeon R9 270-DC2

Cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm

OS. Windows 7 Ultimate

So there we go guys I'm totally in your hands, I hope the above info is enough for you to make an assessment and advise if we need to upgrade or tweak something so I can get the most out of our machine and get those FPS's up !!!!

Thanks guys. GUIGuy.

sounds like PhysX was turn on by mistake

disable PhysX

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

try update GPU Driver

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Update the graphics drivers, disable PhysX if turned on by accident and check the temps on the R9 270 and the CPU during gaming (Use MSI afterburner, speccy, GPU-Z or a similar program). If those get too hot it will throttle like a maniac.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

My son can play pretty much all his games on high settings

I doubt that GPU can run Metro last light on anything above medium settings at a decent framrate, plus you will need to make sure physx is disabled to make it run smoothly as AMD cards cannot use it (turn of tessellation too)

Try making sure the latest drivers are installed, or try a beta driver

And try turning your settings down, especially anti aliasing 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

that gpu cant play last light at a decent fps on high, turn settings down like AA

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I doubt that GPU can run Metro last light on anything above medium settings at a decent framrate

I am able to run metro last light at 1440x900 with everything at high getting 30/33 fps,and i have sapphire hd 7750..So i think he can run it at those fps...Also,metro ll is "cpu demanding game"...

On topic,disable physx from options...Then the fps rate will be ok

Have you tried over clocking, it could help get a bit more out of your CPU.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

I am able to run metro last light at 1440x900 with everything at high getting 30/33 fps,and i have sapphire hd 7750..So i think he can run it at those fps...Also,metro ll is "cpu demanding game"...

On topic,disable physx from options...Then the fps rate will be ok

OP is trying to hit 60fps, not 30

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hi Guys. Thanks for all you input some really useful stuff. Other than bench testing, what would you think would be an exceptable multiplier to use on the CPU with that cooler installed. Or is it a case of suck it and see ?

Well guys I've got some news. My son and I looked at all the settings you suggested and this is what we've got.

On the PC

All sliders in the Asus GPU Tweak are as far over to the right as they can go

We've over clocked the CPU to 4.4Ghz

In the game

Res is turned down to 1440 by 900

PhysX and tessellation are off

Quality is down to normal

And what is the FPS I hear you ask, well would you believe.........220!!!!!! (Average)

Freakin Unbelievable,,,,,,

The CPU is running at 43.5Ghz and stable at 66 degrees with a load of 77%

The GPU is rocking at full overclock 1100Mhz and stable at 62 degrees

As we have enough FPS to play with we may try and play with the setting a little more so we can play at higher quality settings but to be honest it looks sooo good and is so playable I don't think it really matters, and as my son is not really a hard core gamer that some of you maybe we are more than happy.

Just wanna say thanks to all that took the trouble to post and thanks for your help. GUIGuy.