ASUS R9 280X Matrix in CrossFire vs GTX 780Ti

Hi guys!

I'm gonna make this short - I found a great offer for two R9 280X Matrix Platinum cards for 500€. Now I'm not sure if I should buy them or rather get a 780Ti. I am planning to overclock, set the cards on water and do some video-

editing and 3D animation in the near future. I'm also going to run three 27" 2560x1600 Monitors (one for now but I'm going to add two in the future). Now I'm not sure what to do since the Matrix is a great overclocker and the cards would

give me a much more bang for my buck.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Defalt

*I'm new in this forum so sorry if I did something wrong regarding the Thread

Hello and welcome to the LTT forum. Well for 3 monitors of that resolution you are probably going to need even better cards then that to play on Ultra at above 60FPS. But I do believe the 780 ti is better. I might be wrong about that, never really compared the two. 

Go for the AMD cards, they are better overclockers and will give a bigger band for buck.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Welcome to the forum! :)

For triple 1600p, even dual 280X are not going to probably be enough these days. Are you just going to do video and 3D work, or are you also gaming? For the first two, dual 280X is going to be just fine, for gaming, you might have to turn some settings down..

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

780ti.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hello and welcome to the LTT forum. Well for 3 monitors of that resolution you are probably going to need even better cards then that to play on Ultra at above 60FPS. But I do believe the 780 ti is better. I might be wrong about that, never really compared the two. 

Ok I just looked it up in most games the 280Xs are about 5-10 fps faster. But there are some games where the 780 ti is better. Like 20+ fps

Hi guys!

I'm gonna make this short - I found a great offer for two R9 280X Matrix Platinum cards for 500€. Now I'm not sure if I should buy them or rather get a 780Ti. I am planning to overclock, set the cards on water and do some video-

editing and 3D animation in the near future. I'm also going to run three 27" 2560x1600 Monitors (one for now but I'm going to add two in the future). Now I'm not sure what to do since the Matrix is a great overclocker and the cards would give me a much more bang for my buck.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Defalt (p.s. *I'm new in this forum so sorry if I did something wrong regarding the Thread)

Hey Defalt! Welcome to the LTT Forum. :)

Do you work with adobe premiere & after effects? 780Ti sounds like the way to go but hold off for now, maxwell/800 series might come-out in the next month or little bit longer so you might see quite a price drop on the current series of Geforce product lineage. (Just throwing this out there, I don't think there are many 27" monitors that are true 16:10 mostly 16:9) I believe the 780 with 6GB might be sufficient however you trade blows with the 780Ti in-terms of pricing & horse power.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Wow thanks for the fast response!

Sure the AMD cards would give me a better bang for my buck but wouldn't the 780Ti be more "futureproof" since I could just add one more depending on my budget?

I'm going to do gaming aswell as using the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, After Effects...)

Thank You for your answers

It's not really that great a deal tbh. You can get two Sapphire 280Xs for 435€.

http://www.alternate.de/SAPPHIRE/R9-280X-3GB-GDDR5-Grafikkarte/html/product/1103141?

I know they aren't Matrix cards, but they are way overpriced and they are fat triple slot GPUs anyways.

Case: Silverstone TJ07 CPU: i5 3570K Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Dominator Platinum 8GB GPU: SLI GTX 970 G1 Storage256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 3TB WD Green PSU: Corsair RM850 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Cooling: Water cooling with acrylic tubes HeadphonesPhilips Fidelio X2 DAC: Schiit Modi Amp: Schiit Vali

Ok I just looked it up in most games the 280Xs are about 5-10 fps faster. But there are some games where the 780 ti is better. Like 20+ fps

Yeah I also looked up some similar tests - but the 280x's don't seem to be overclocked at all so I don't know what to think of that

It's not really that great a deal tbh. You can get two Sapphire 280Xs for 435€.

http://www.alternate.de/SAPPHIRE/R9-280X-3GB-GDDR5-Grafikkarte/html/product/1103141?

I know they aren't Matrix cards, but they are way overpriced and they are fat triple slot GPUs anyways.

Room isn't that big of a problem since I'm using a 900D as case. My offer was 250€ per card (I just would've bought 2 of them)

Yeah I also looked up some similar tests - but the 280x's don't seem to be overclocked at all so I don't know what to think of that

They one I saw the 780 ti wasn't over clocked either. I would go with the 780 ti,  in most games the 280xs would be a little bit faster but not enough to be worth the extra power consumption and heat output.

Room isn't that big of a problem since I'm using a 900D as case. My offer was 250€ per card (I just would've bought 2 of them)

And I'm officially jealous. Thats my favorite case.

And I'm officially jealous. Thats my favorite case.

I'm impressed by its size every time I look at it:D Airflow kinda sucks though thats one of the reasons I'd watercool my components no matter what

I'm impressed by its size every time I look at it:D Airflow kinda sucks though thats one of the reasons I'd watercool my components no matter what

If I had the money Id get that but for my upcoming build I'm getting a 760t in black

post-107252-0-96597600-1408980542.jpg

Thats a really pretty case too:D

Before I came across the 900D I also considered that one

Thats a really pretty case too:D

Before I came across the 900D I also considered that one

The 900D is impractical in almost everyway.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

I don't think so. It offers exceptional radiator space (as long as we're not talking about custom cases such as mountain mod and stuff like that)

I don't think so. It offers exceptional radiator space (as long as we're not talking about custom cases such as mountain mod and stuff like that)