~$200 headphones for classical, electronic, and production

lekro

This makes the K612 look like the better option. I would like the lowest frequencies to be pronounced and want the headphones for multiple genres. 

As the posts on page 2 say, apparently the bumps were removed on the newer version(s), but I'm guessing that other than that small difference, they are very similar in terms of comfort. Currently, I can sit for maybe an hour with the K240s before the clamping/leatherette/etc gets annoying. I'd like to have comfortable headphones so I don't need to switch to speakers just to give my head a break. (My speakers are pretty horrible)

K612 it is then  :)

Btw, these headphones benefit greatly from an amp, but i suggest plugging them directly into your motherboard first and see whether you like the level of volume or not . If not, then an amp is needed.

Sorry, I meant to say that I need to have open- or semi-open headphones. I didn't put that in the OP, but that is one of my requirements. Closed-back are not an option, and speakers aren't, either. That's not what I'm looking for.

Okay, that means akg 612's will probably make you happy :) give them a try and k 702, or dt 990's if you have a bit more to spend on good headphones.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

K612 it is then  :)

Btw, these headphones benefit greatly from an amp, but i suggest plugging them directly into your motherboard first and see whether you like the level of volume or not . If not, then an amp is needed.

My E10 was working until yesterday when it basically died. If I try using it, I get some sort of intermittent high frequency clicking noise. I'm guessing the E10K is its successor.

(...wonder if opening it and seeing what's inside would help? Maybe there's some dust stuck in)

Okay, that means akg 612's will probably make you happy :) give them a try and k 702, or dt 990's if you have a bit more to spend on good headphones.

Unfortunately, I can't try before I buy, otherwise I'd just have gone and tried them instead of asking here. So for me it's probably just buy then try ... and return if I don't like it. :P

My E10 was working until yesterday when it basically died. If I try using it, I get some sort of intermittent high frequency clicking noise. I'm guessing the E10K is its successor.

(...wonder if opening it and seeing what's inside would help? Maybe there's some dust stuck in)

Dust likely wouldn't cause the issue, but opening it up shouldn't harm anything. Take pics for us if the problem isn't obvious. :)

Alternatively, if it's under warranty, maybe FiiO will send you an E10k as a replacement.

Dust likely wouldn't cause the issue, but opening it up shouldn't harm anything. Take pics for us if the problem isn't obvious. :)

Alternatively, if it's under warranty, maybe FiiO will send you an E10k as a replacement.

I'm going to attempt opening it up then as right now it's too light even for a paperweight.

I looked in the E10's tin that it came in and saw no mention of a warranty. Maybe I lost the paper, but I'll check again.

I looked in the E10's tin that it came in and saw no mention of a warranty. Maybe I lost the paper, but I'll check again.

I can't remember exactly, but there was something on the paper sleeve that fits over the tin. Might be "Make sure your unit is genuine!" as opposed to warranty info though.

I can't remember exactly, but there was something on the paper sleeve that fits over the tin. Might be "Make sure your unit is genuine!" as opposed to warranty info though.

Ah, yes, I see it. "After scratching off the coating, pls log in www.fiio.com.cn to check the authenticity." I completely missed that on the side of the tin when I got the amp.