~$200 headphones for classical, electronic, and production

lekro

Hello everyone:

I have lots of questions regarding the DT 880s, in no particular order. To answer preliminary questions, here is my audio setup and listening preferences.

Current audio setup:

foobar2000 1.3.3

Fiio E10 dac/amp

AKG K240s

I listen to:

Classical, mostly before Schoenberg

some Electronic

music that I produce that I can't classify as I don't know the plethora of genres available

How are the DT 880s in comparison with the DT 990s? I mostly listen to classical music, but also want to listen to some electronic music without thinking of the depth of my friend's DT 990s. However, when I tried his DT 990s with a sample of classical music (Rachmaninov's Paganini Rhapsody, Ashkenazy/Previn, flac cd quality) the melody in the mids was so quiet that it was drowned out by either bass or harmonics from random things.

How would the DT 880's sound compare with that of the AKG K240s?

How would they perform with polyphonic music? (When listening to Bach, it's fun to hear ALL the voices dancing around with each other :P) Binaural recordings?

How "flat" are they? I see some people (not on this forum) saying that they sound very boring and that they prefer the DT 990s, but to what extent is this true?

The DT 880 Pro is currently (08/25/2014) more expensive (?) than the Premium, so I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit if I want the DT 880s. On the other hand, the DT 990s are ~$180.

Thanks for any possible insight.

Lekro

DT880 are more "neutral" that means all parts of the spectrum are on (more or less) an equal level, without emphasizing either of the ends. The mids will sound more clear, violins, flutes, and vocals will have their place among the heavier instruments.

If you like listening to soundtracks, modern music,  or dance/elctro, the DT990 will be the better choice, because their bass kicks really hard without being overwhelming.

Neither of them will be the best for all the genres you mentioned IMO.

If you want to look on other options the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 (340$/370$), HiFiMan's HE-400(300$), and AKG K702 (219$) are pretty good for classical music. 

ce02787e3bb06d94bd5e9dae8d3f7e7a.png

Quit posting these threads! We don't know anything about the 880 alone, let alone the 990!

Wait...This isn't graphics cards...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The 880 is a lot more flat than the 990. I would suggest getting the 880's for your needs.

The K240's are a little bit "V" shaped regarding bass/mids/treble. They should be a good upgrade for you.

I found the 880 to be a little colder compared to the 990 that Ive bought for comparison and stayed with. The 880 are not as soft like the 990 in highs imo and the addition of bass in the 990 makes it a more fun headphone to listen to. For producing I would take the 880 obv. but there are better options still for equal money

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

but there are better options still for equal money

Don't list them.

Don't list them.

PC350 and PC360. 

Praise satan. 

Clean my anus with a tape and die set.

PC350 and PC360. 

Praise satan. 

Clean my anus with a tape and die set.

gallery_40059_1318_18839.jpg

hue hue

Thanks all for replying. I'm pretty sure that the DT 990s are not the right choice, but there are probably many other choices at this price point that I have failed to consider.

Dt 880 us a more suitable pair of headphones for classical and rock genres. Dt990 is a more pair with more bass.

Yes, that's what I thought after reading many posts. So I'm more inclined to pick the DT 880s, but there's probably even better choices at the ~$200 price range.

- snip -

Interesting - the graph allows for some much easier imagination of the ultimate sound. Those other choices look interesting, although the HD 600/650 and HE-350 are out of the budget.

I went to that website and made a graph comparing DT 880, DT 990, HD 650, and K 702. It seems that the DT 990s have accentuated bass and both the 880s and 990s have more treble than the K702. But other than that, I don't really know what's "better" or "worse" on each of the graphs.

If I were to pick purely for aesthetics, I'd go with the DT 880, but that's probably my least important criterion. If only I could actually try these headphones out side-by-side ...

The K240s tend to get fatiguing due to the largely rigid earcups. I can always feel that they're there, whereas when I tried the DT 990s, the velour cushions contoured perfectly to my head.

So I'm knocking out the DT 990s for their overly accentuated bass and treble. The DT 880s remain, but the AKG K 702 looks like another interesting option. 

Quit posting these threads! We don't know anything about the 880 alone, let alone the 990!

Wait...This isn't graphics cards...

hehe...

The 880 is a lot more flat than the 990. I would suggest getting the 880's for your needs.

The K240's are a little bit "V" shaped regarding bass/mids/treble. They should be a good upgrade for you.

Yes, that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. However, I have not evaluated a wide range of products yet, and need to explore more options as well.

I found the 880 to be a little colder compared to the 990 that Ive bought for comparison and stayed with. The 880 are not as soft like the 990 in highs imo and the addition of bass in the 990 makes it a more fun headphone to listen to. For producing I would take the 880 obv. but there are better options still for equal money

I've heard that the DT990's color makes it more fun to listen to (electronic music I guess). What would you consider as better options at the same price point?

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Can we not keep this thread clean?

I've heard that the DT990's color makes it more fun to listen to (electronic music I guess). What would you consider as better options at the same price point?

For simple listening enjoyment I can fully recommend the 990's, I am really happy with their colouration for music I listen to [Jazz/HipHop]

For producing thou I would look at the Focal Spirit Pro's, from personal experience they were amazing but now I simply use the yamaha hs7's because it is more convenient in my case. DT 880's are still superb, no question, but there you have a little hint maybe you can test it.

Excuse me for my trolls, never had such loyal ones^^

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

For simple listening enjoyment I can fully recommend the 990's, I am really happy with their colouration for music I listen to [Jazz/HipHop]

For producing thou I would look at the Focal Spirit Pro's, from personal experience they were amazing but now I simply use the yamaha hs7's because it is more convenient in my case. DT 880's are still superb, no question, but there you have a little hint maybe you can test it.

Excuse me for my trolls, never had such loyal ones^^

I'm still thinking the DT990s are bad for classical listening.

The Focal Spirit Pros (never heard of them) are closed-back and would make me not know when the tea is ready or when something blows up. But I guess I didn't specify in the OP that I liked open/semi-open headphones.

The Yamaha HS7s are speakers - I currently don't have space for larger or higher quality speakers, so headphones are basically the only option for me.

... I'm guessing the "trolls" are the Focal and Yamaha. Or was it the "better options for equal money?"

So I'm knocking out the DT 990s for their overly accentuated bass and treble. The DT 880s remain, but the AKG K 702 looks like another interesting option. 

I'd actually pick the K702 over the DT880 for classical music. I feel like the DT880 are better for rock music though because they have more bass than the 702.

Their sounds is very detailed, with very good seperation, and is very spacious..it's like listening to a concert. You feel like they were made especially for that genre.

Also if you amp them well enough the bass will start to shine and you'll be able to use them for electronic music as well.

I'd actually pick the K702 over the DT880 for classical music. I feel like the DT880 are better for rock music though because they have more bass than the 702.

Their sounds is very detailed, with very good seperation, and is very spacious..it's like listening to a concert. You feel like they were made especially for that genre.

Also if you amp them well enough the bass will start to shine and you'll be able to use them for electronic music as well.

Interesting idea. But I don't like my music so loud it blows out my ears - even the naturally twice as loud electronic music. Does this clarity in the K702 also extend to the bass?

Listening to a concert... interesting... I'd love to have that kind of experience in the comfort of my own home, but I'll have to be the judge of that for myself ;) Last time I went to a concert, I was so blown away by how I could hear EVERYTHING and sat stunned there for an hour until intermission...

Interesting idea. But I don't like my music so loud it blows out my ears - even the naturally twice as loud electronic music. Does this clarity in the K702 also extend to the bass?

Yes, but the sub bass drops off fairly sharply. This leaves you with accurate drum attacks and such, but very little of that atmospheric bloom type stuff which I think is important for full band live concert hall recordings. K612 has deeper bass response at a minor cost of treble response. Overall it's more of a flat response than the 701/702 if that's what you're looking for, but you do loose that removable cable.

2cbaa0850c.png

Yes, but the sub bass drops off fairly sharply. This leaves you with accurate drum attacks and such, but very little of that atmospheric bloom type stuff which I think is important for full band live concert hall recordings. K612 has deeper bass response at a minor cost of treble response. Overall it's more of a flat response than the 701/702 if that's what you're looking for, but you do loose that removable cable.

^ What he said.

The K702 have a slightly more pronounced treble which i like when i listen to classical music. And they are overall brighter than the K612, and the sound feels more detailed. (I've made the comparison myself in an audio store next to my house)

I'd still pick the K702 for classical music, although the K612 is gonna be the better choice if you want them for multiple genres. Both are great headphones IMO. 

Also, the K612 are slightly more comfortable than the K702. The K702 have little bumps on the headband which are gonna hurt your head after a while... Although not all of them are like this, that's something to note before you buy.

Also, the K612 are slightly more comfortable than the K702. The K702 have little bumps on the headband which are gonna hurt your head after a while... 

K701 and Q701 has the bumps, K702 does not.

K701 and Q701 has the bumps, K702 does not.

Mhm...Back in 2011 when i had them, pretty sure they had bumps. Maybe they got revisioned?

Mhm...Back in 2011 when i had them, pretty sure they had bumps. Maybe they got revisioned?

I just read a review on the anniversary edition - author mentioned his K702 had bumps as well. Maybe they did revise it, because pictures on Amazon are showing no bumps.

@h264, do you know?

Edit: ah ha - http://www.head-fi.org/t/444832/akg-k702-headband-painful/30#post_10502791

I just read a review on the anniversary edition - author mentioned his K702 had bumps as well. Maybe they did revise it, because pictures on Amazon are showing no bumps.

@h264, do you know?

Edit: ah ha - http://www.head-fi.org/t/444832/akg-k702-headband-painful/30#post_10502791

That's good to hear. The bumps were horrendous...

Maybe retailers still have the old version.. i would watch out before i buy.

^ What he said.

The K702 have a slightly more pronounced treble which i like when i listen to classical music. And they are overall brighter than the K612, and the sound feels more detailed. (I've made the comparison myself in an audio store next to my house)

I'd still pick the K702 for classical music, although the K612 is gonna be the better choice if you want them for multiple genres. Both are great headphones IMO. 

Also, the K612 are slightly more comfortable than the K702. The K702 have little bumps on the headband which are gonna hurt your head after a while... Although not all of them are like this, that's something to note before you buy.

This makes the K612 look like the better option. I would like the lowest frequencies to be pronounced and want the headphones for multiple genres. 

As the posts on page 2 say, apparently the bumps were removed on the newer version(s), but I'm guessing that other than that small difference, they are very similar in terms of comfort. Currently, I can sit for maybe an hour with the K240s before the clamping/leatherette/etc gets annoying. I'd like to have comfortable headphones so I don't need to switch to speakers just to give my head a break. (My speakers are pretty horrible)

wat

Sorry, I meant to say that I need to have open- or semi-open headphones. I didn't put that in the OP, but that is one of my requirements. Closed-back are not an option, and speakers aren't, either. That's not what I'm looking for.