Help me choose a graphics card or 2?

Migit

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into building my own PC, I've started a discussion here - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/202950-building-my-first-pc/

But need more information on video cards.

Currently looking at either the Radeon R9 290 or 290x models. or possibly a Nvidia GTX 780Ti.

I'm really stuck on what to get.

Originally I was recommended the 290x, but research and other reviews on here and things made it sound like they're not always the most reliable cards going around, and aren't a huge step up from the 290 which is a bit cheaper, and I was considering getting 2 cards, or atleast 1 now, and a 2nd somewhere in the not too distant future (as funds allow)

I know to stay away from the reference models and am looking at either the Tri-X or Vapor-X versions.

However Nvidia I rarely hear a bad word about (except for the price tag :P ) and am using there GT 555M model in my current laptop (yeah its old, but ive had it for like 5 years).

The GTX 780Ti sounds like it is the best card, but again its not by much over the 290/x but is $250 give or take more expensive.

Which way should I go?

If I can afford duel 290's now is that the best option, or should I go for the better single card being GTX 780Ti?

Is it true Nvidia are releasing new cards shortly? If yes, do we have an expected time and should I wait for pricing on them or will they drop the prices of the current models?

Also for Nvidia cards, are the reference designs good? I love the look of them, but if they have issues like the R9s reference model theyre probably not worth purchasing I'd imagine. Who should I be looking at purchasing from if I decide Nvidia, as sapphire seem to be the go for AMD.

Thank you, and sorry for any fanboy arguements this discussion causes. :P

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Well 2 290s is the best option as long as you have a big enough PSU and they are non reference. And the 780 ti is better then the 290X. Drop the single 290X right now. 

I say go for Dual 290s, they can be found for like 450 with good aftermarket coolers and you can get them used for like 250 (people selling them for coin mining)

Yes, 800 series is purportedly being released soon--before the year ends. 

Yes, reference Nvidia cards are fine, although custom coolers (ACX/Twin Frozr/windforce/other) are still quieter and cooler. 

Dual 290s. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@Migit

If you can afford two 290s then hell yes go for that (more specifically, get Sapphire or HIS cards that are non-reference). It will still be faster then the 880/880Ti.

290 and 290X are basically the same, except the 290 is a binned part, so it's clocked lower and won't overclock as well, just like the 8320 and 8350

"Rawr XD"

If you plan on gaming at 1440p then I highly recommend just the 290. You can possibly add a second if you're not on a tight budget.

As you can see, the 290x is not worth it.

Zo2HBWf.gif

vPK4U7D.gif

I'd only recommend the 780 if you have plans on getting a g-sync monitor sometime in the near future; ie, the rog swift from asus.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Two 290 would be the best price to performance and the best for 1440p.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Well 2 290s is the best option as long as you have a big enough PSU and they are non reference. And the 780 ti is better then the 290X. Drop the single 290X right now. 

Okay, single 290x is gone.

I say go for Dual 290s, they can be found for like 450 with good aftermarket coolers and you can get them used for like 250 (people selling them for coin mining)

I'd rather new than used, but I'll shop around

Yes, 800 series is purportedly being released soon--before the year ends. 

Yes, reference Nvidia cards are fine, although custom coolers (ACX/Twin Frozr/windforce/other) are still quieter and cooler. 

Dual 290s. 

Should I wait for the annocement of the 800, or is fine to build a PC now?

@Migit

If you can afford two 290s then hell yes go for that (more specifically, get Sapphire or HIS cards that are non-reference). It will still be faster then the 880/880Ti.

290 and 290X are basically the same, except the 290 is a binned part, so it's clocked lower and won't overclock as well, just like the 8320 and 8350

Okay thanks. Sapphire are where I was looking for them.

If you plan on gaming at 1440p then I highly recommend just the 290. You can possibly add a second if you're not on a tight budget.

As you can see, the 290x is not worth it.

Zo2HBWf.gif

vPK4U7D.gif

I'd only recommend the 780 if you have plans on getting a g-sync monitor sometime in the near future; ie, the rog swift from asus.

For monitors I was looking at - The ASUS VG248QE 24in Widescreen 144Hz 3D Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1212&products_id=22711

Still say the 290s?

Two 290 would be the best price to performance and the best for 1440p.

okay :)

Thanks all for the advice.

If I can't afford the 2nd 290 straight away is it still the best way to go? (im pretty sure I can, but if something comes up)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

@Migit 

EVGA does have something called a step up program, so you have 3 months after the date of purchase to pay the difference and step up to a better card. So you could buy a 780Ti now and then if the 880 comes out within 3 months then step up. If it comes out after 3 months, then you wouldn't want to wait that long anyway (I assume). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Whats that of "coin mining", in other words, why do the sell them cheeper?

Because they've been destroyed basically. 

Buying a card used for heavy mining is like buying a car with 100,000 miles on it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@Migit 

EVGA does have something called a step up program, so you have 3 months after the date of purchase to pay the difference and step up to a better card. So you could buy a 780Ti now and then if the 880 comes out within 3 months then step up. If it comes out after 3 months, then you wouldn't want to wait that long anyway (I assume). 

Oh really, that could be a good idea. I'll look into that

Oh really, that could be a good idea. I'll look into that

nvm, just noticed you from Australia. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

nvm, just noticed you from Australia. 

oh they wont do that here?

being here sucks for this kind of stuff, everythings more expensive.

and a billion times harder to fix if something screws up

Its very tempting just to buy prebuilt systems with good warrenties

oh they wont do that here?

being here sucks for this kind of stuff, everythings more expensive.

and a billion times harder to fix if something screws up

Its very tempting just to buy prebuilt systems with good warrenties

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

• The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries.
Considering how much more parts are, I wouldn't even want to know how much more a prebuilt system would be....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Considering how much more parts are, I wouldn't even want to know how much more a prebuilt system would be....

There are a few places that arent too bad.

Like PCCaseGear do realitivly well priced pre-built systems.

If you rebuild there system using PCPartPicker theyre normally only $200 more than what pcpartpicker says the price is.

But you get a 1 year warrenty that you can send it back to them to get it fixed

People bought 290s for mining litecoins due to their high hash rates, but it's not very effective anymore so many people are selling them.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into building my own PC, I've started a discussion here - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/202950-building-my-first-pc/

But need more information on video cards.

Currently looking at either the Radeon R9 290 or 290x models. or possibly a Nvidia GTX 780Ti.

I'm really stuck on what to get.

Originally I was recommended the 290x, but research and other reviews on here and things made it sound like they're not always the most reliable cards going around, and aren't a huge step up from the 290 which is a bit cheaper, and I was considering getting 2 cards, or atleast 1 now, and a 2nd somewhere in the not too distant future (as funds allow)

I know to stay away from the reference models and am looking at either the Tri-X or Vapor-X versions.

However Nvidia I rarely hear a bad word about (except for the price tag :P ) and am using there GT 555M model in my current laptop (yeah its old, but ive had it for like 5 years).

The GTX 780Ti sounds like it is the best card, but again its not by much over the 290/x but is $250 give or take more expensive.

Which way should I go?

If I can afford duel 290's now is that the best option, or should I go for the better single card being GTX 780Ti?

Is it true Nvidia are releasing new cards shortly? If yes, do we have an expected time and should I wait for pricing on them or will they drop the prices of the current models?

Also for Nvidia cards, are the reference designs good? I love the look of them, but if they have issues like the R9s reference model theyre probably not worth purchasing I'd imagine. Who should I be looking at purchasing from if I decide Nvidia, as sapphire seem to be the go for AMD.

Thank you, and sorry for any fanboy arguements this discussion causes. :P

is the normal Titan still expensive by the way ?

Part picker only has Titan Z and Titan Black, and theyre $3000 and $800 more expensive than the 780Ti

So I'm looking at going with the 780Ti

Part picker only has Titan Z and Titan Black, and theyre $3000 and $800 more expensive than the 780Ti

So I'm looking at going with the 780Ti