FTTN speeds tested for the first time (Australia)

So yeah...if you don't know what Fibre To The Node is, it's the Liberal party's way of cutting costs on the NBN. Basically they run fibre from the telephone exchange to a node or "fibre box" which then uses the existing copper infrastructure to connect to individual houses. The trials were delayed for 3 months if I recall correctly, but it's finally been tested with some rather astonishing results, TBH.
f94ZdGr.jpg

Impressive...really impressive. Note that the upload speed is weirdly slower from a closer distance to the node, I suspect this is just a tiny bit of variation in the tests, nothing too out-of-the-ordinary.

My only concern is that these speeds would drop dramatically if there were more houses being fed by that specific node in that test. According to the source, which I will mention towards the end, only 4 end users were involved in the test.

I would kill for those speeds though, 33Mbps is plenty for Twitch streaming which I am unable to do now on my 0.8Mbps upload speed. And downloading Steam games at 98Mbps - it wouldn't take 3-5 hours to download games and updates anymore. 

Source: http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/553025/nbn_end_users_approach_100mbps_fttn/ (obscure source, only used it since it had the distances from the node)

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

Nice. 

We might be able to get respectable internet speeds now :P

current speed is ~15/0.7 mbps. Dat glorious 0.7 up....

Very similar speeds to mine. Highest I've got is 16/0.8.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Very similar speeds to mine. Highest I've got is 16/0.8.

Yeah come over to WA and enjoy the speeds where I live 7/0.5.

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

These tests are still only using a max distance of just over 500M many of the exchanges and where the new "nodes" will likely be are still 1+ KM away from people if not up to 4 KM as was the case for me before getting fixed wireless. Lucky for people in the city as usual I guess.

That is actually what I was getting now at usually 20/4.5 with my fixed wireless connection. If I didn't have it by now I think I would be crying nightly from it. But trust me once you get more you won't stop wanting more.

oh the pain.

I constantly get dumped off Australian BF4 servers because my internet can't keep up (hypothesis, not yet actually confirmed)

but yeah, it just sucks massive dongers

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Just looked up these addresses on Google Maps. All of them fall in a ~1km radius, so they are all presumably using copper lines of the same, good quality. What about areas where the copper is absolute trash?

I'd like to see results for houses of a greater distance from the node, I think we'd find much less impressive numbers... Cool selective results, Libs.

fttn-speed-graph.gif

dsl-speed-comparisons.jpg

That is actually what I was getting now at usually 20/4.5 with my fixed wireless connection. If I didn't have it by now I think I would be crying nightly from it. But trust me once you get more you won't stop wanting more.

Telstra lied to me and led me to believe I was on adsl2+

These tests are still only using a max distance of just over 500M many of the exchanges and where the new "nodes" will likely be are still 1+ KM away from people if not up to 4 KM as was the case for me before getting fixed wireless. Lucky for people in the city as usual I guess.

What's the latency like on fixed wireless? Its available in my area (I live in a really small town, I doubt they'd bother doing fibre here) but I've always wondered.

Nice. 

We might be able to get respectable internet speeds now :P

current speed is ~15/0.7 mbps. Dat glorious 0.7 up....

I'm rockin' the 7/.7

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Telstra lied to me and led me to believe I was on adsl2+

lol how?

FTTH Rules i have it in my home right now its slim and sexy and cheap, 1meter of fiber is 20penny's.Cheapos only do FTTB/FTTN there? doh.

Its just sad,since fiber aint nothing new and now its too cheap to have any excuses

The company im subscribet to right now is doing all its 3 services into 1 FTTH fiber cable TV/Phone/Internet GG to them.

Edited by deviant88

lol how?

They told us they were upgrading the internet service to our street via the cables, to the best available (which from the maps I searched up was adsl2+) 

What's the latency like on fixed wireless? Its available in my area (I live in a really small town, I doubt they'd bother doing fibre here) but I've always wondered.

Well im about 400 KM from Sydney and I get around 40-50 ms ping to servers there. Whilst it is around 10-20 ms higher then adsl it is much more consistent especially considering my upload and download is sufficient for ping spikes not to occur. When I was back on the 7/0.5 the connection wasn't enough for most things and as soon as my brother was on youtube or anything (watching 360p that is) my ping used to jump from 30 to around 100+ often up to 250+ just from a lack of speed I think. Now can watch 4K streams if I really want although it has to buffer a bit but 1080p streams are great now and can upload decently fast.

I like how living in the city get lower speeds than lets just say a friend of mine who gets 15/1 in the middle of a paddock.

got a source?

also remember the government are only guaranteeing minimum 25Mb/s for the initial roll out.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you guys are all talking about some pretty sweet copper speeds and I am here sitting around with 3/0.00000000001 (upload is a joke, aka not there) I mean as much as I hate FTTN I still want it because my internet speed is a joke. However I am really concerned about FTTN in my area because all of the copper cabling is incredibly old and I am not sure if it can handle those speeds, and please telstra if you by any chance are listening to this my phone line is strung up around my back fence could you fix that, thanks, no wonder my internet speed is a joke.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

and please telstra if you by any chance are listening to this my phone line is strung up around my back fence could you fix that, thanks, no wonder my internet speed is a joke.

Is that a joke? That's just pure laziness from the Telstra workers, if you ask me.

Also don't forget the older houses with degraded copper as well. Just adds more cost to the whole thing.

4/1 in Greenwood haha

Recent article on the quality of WA's copper lines

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24779257/wa-internet-lines-a-mess-union/

150814gencopper06_19vd18c-19vd18g.jpg?x=

It should also be noted that WA has zero brownfields work (areas were copper already exists, remediated to fibre optic).

God damn Wait Awhile :(

Is that a joke? That's just pure laziness from the Telstra workers, if you ask me.

Also don't forget the older houses with degraded copper as well. Just adds more cost to the whole thing.

It no fucking joke I can go take a picture of it if you want, like seriously they came out to "fix it" for like 3 weeks, so my dad got tired of their shit after telling them exactly and explicitly how to fix it and they did jack shit, so my dad got in touch with a mate and got some phone line and fixed it himself since they were to lazy. Then telstra comes in to put the icing on the cake and said well its not broken anymore so we aren't fixing it.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

I think he's dead serious, like when Telstra was "fixing" my cables out the front they just left the hole open and the two parts of the cable tied to posts with duck tape, completely naked and it was like this for a week.

It no fucking joke I can go take a picture of it if you want, like seriously they came out to "fix it" for like 3 weeks, so my dad got tired of their shit after telling them exactly and explicitly how to fix it and they did jack shit, so my dad got in touch with a mate and got some phone line and fixed it himself since they were to lazy. Then telstra comes in to put the icing on the cake and said well its not broken anymore so we aren't fixing it.

A mate of mine in Kelmscott had exposed wires for a year almost.

A mate of mine in Kelmscott had exposed wires for a year almost.

This is exactly why the urban dictionary page for telstra is filled with them being scum of the earth and absolute c*nts, I mean they don't even try because no matter what everyone has to use them and they just roll in the cash.