PC powers up for split second and the fans stop.

TheCrach
Go to solution Solved by Krzyimprt,

get a Celeron G540 update the bios then return it. OR if you're lucky you may have a friend with a sandy bridge 1155 cpu that would be kind enough for you to borrow.

So I just finished building my PC and when I hit the power button the PSU fan spins for a second then stops. The motherboard power and reset buttons are lit up as well as other leds. All other fans spin for a second also then stop. I tried jump starting the PSU using a paper clip and it works fine the fan spins. I've checked all connections and they look fine to me. Any help would be appreciated. 

specs
motherboard - p8z68-v pro
psu - corsair cx600
cpu - i7 3770
cooler - seidon 120v
ram - kingston hyper x predator x2 8gb

That indicates that the load might be too much for the PSU so check the voltage.

OR

There is a short circuit somewhere on the board, some component is causing it.

you've got no GPU ? just want to check. Sounds like a short on the motherboard, or a loose connector have you checked all the connectors; make sure nothing it connecting on things to another causing a short on a board cause, it sounds like the current/ surge protectors in either the motherboard or psu have activated each time you try.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

it's probably a short circuit - unplug everything except 1 stick of RAM and the CPU/Mobo and try again...

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Have you put one of the motherboard standoffs underneath in the wrong place? If it's touching a bit of the board which it shouldn't, it'll cause a short circuit (i think it's called that) and you won't be able to start your rig.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The gpu is on it's way, I've removed everything except cpu and ram but nothing, It does seem like a short circuit. How can I confirm that it is.

Here's a pic btw if it helps, sorry it's not very clear.

Fulgrim I've not use any standoffs. Do i need too.

IMG_00301_zps60a34c3e.jpg

I've not use any standoffs. Do i need too.

You definitely need to install standoffs to keep your motherboard off the metal tray in the case.

When you say you didn't install them do you mean you didn't install them as they were installed when you go the case, or that you simpy screwed the motherboard down to the metal plate?

If you have the motherboard screwed down with no standoffs it will ground immediately and may damage the board. If this is the case reinstall the motherboard with standoffs and pray you didn't break anything.

If they were already installed tell us, and what case you have.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

OK thanks FizzyFantom I installed the standoffs and now it works, I guess that what a newbie gets. Just one more issue, the pc beeps 3 times so I looked in the manual and it says no signal. I have it connected via hdmi do I need to connect it via vga. What about dvi will that work. 

Even more problems now I'm getting 4 beeps which I think is a problem with the RAM, The pc starts up for a few seconds (longer than it ever has before), It then makes 4 beeps and then powers down and then back up again with another 4 beeps and then it stays on but the screen is black. 

Refer to your motherboard's manual for the beeps.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I did but i don't understand it, the manual says "One continuous beep followed by three short beeps" which sounds like the problem i have but the first beep is not continuous, it's just 4 short beeps. btw do I need to use vga to display anything or can I use hdmi, As I don't have a vga cable.

I did but i don't understand it, the manual says "One continuous beep followed by three short beeps" which sounds like the problem i have but the first beep is not continuous, it's just 4 short beeps. btw do I need to use vga to display anything or can I use hdmi, As I don't have a vga cable.

You should be able to use any of the video outputs on your motherboard. As for the RAM issue I am unsure, you have probably already reseated the modules and tried it again. Try installing one module at a time to see if either of them works individually.

The motherboard manual I found online says that 1 long and 2 short beeps is a RAM issue. 1 long and 3 short is "no VGA detected", so that may be the issue.

1 long and 4 short beeps is "hardware component failure". That may be the case as you screwed the motherboard directly to the metal, shorting it repeatedly.

EDIT: If you remove all the RAM does it give you different error beeps for that? What about no keyboard detected (one short beep)?

Another Edit: Go through everything on this awesome checklist here and get back to us:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

(Click "see full content", in case you haven't used TomsHardware before)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

does it look like this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNPXT_dPmxQ

in my case I hade everything to send to support. my mainboard was allways go in the "mode" where it trys to proteced the HW becasue the power supply finds somewhere an error, so there is somewhere a conntact made that shouldn't be, maybe a screw under the mainboard 

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Even more problems now I'm getting 4 beeps which I think is a problem with the RAM, The pc starts up for a few seconds (longer than it ever has before), It then makes 4 beeps and then powers down and then back up again with another 4 beeps and then it stays on but the screen is black. 

Look at the Manual - it's different for every board

Also you should have installed at least one RAM slot

and if you put a GPU in there the cable (HDMI, VGA, DVI doesn't matter) should be plugged into the GPU

Check that all the power cables are plugged in - you should have two going to the motherboard - and the GPU as well

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Thanks guys, I'll try everything mentioned, I don't have a graphics card yet, just onboard graphics does that matter about using HDMI or VGA cable. I'll report back when I'm done.

Check the motherboard screws too. They caused a similar problem with my old PC.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

What exactly do I need to check with the screws speedbird, I've uploaded a video if it helps guys. btw it's the DRAM LED in the corner that's red. Going by the manual "If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved." I've tried installing the ram one module at a time and I still get the red LED. 

Thanks

Ok so I went through everything here. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I think it could be either the motherboard or maybe incompatible ram (Kingston Hyper x Predator KHX21C11T2K2/16X), the manual doesn't mention that ram in the qualified vendors lists. Although I'm not quite sure what that means.

What exactly do I need to check with the screws speedbird, I've uploaded a video if it helps guys. btw it's the DRAM LED in the corner that's red. Going by the manual "If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved." I've tried installing the ram one module at a time and I still get the red LED. 

Thanks

Wheres the CPU & Cooler?

Maybe the BIOS needs an update for that CPU/Mem as well?

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

Wheres the CPU & Cooler?

Maybe the BIOS needs an update for that CPU/Mem as well?

See that Black square thing, that's the seidon 120v cooler and the cpu is under that.

I can't update the bios as I can't get to the bios.

See that Black square thing, that's the seidon 120v cooler and the cpu is under that.

I can't update the bios as I can't get to the bios.

lol talk about low profile, I thought it was the protection cover.

I figured updating the bios may be an issue, any chance you have a cheaper 1155 compatible CPU laying around?

If not maybe buy a $40 Celeron/Pentium or something just to access the bios. (Pretty sure you could access the BIOS menu with non-compatible RAM I think) IF that is the issue (I'd hope)

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

lol talk about low profile, I thought it was the protection cover.

I figured updating the bios may be an issue, any chance you have a cheaper 1155 compatible CPU laying around?

If not maybe buy a $40 Celeron/Pentium or something just to access the bios. (Pretty sure you could access the BIOS menu with non-compatible RAM I think) IF that is the issue (I'd hope)

I only have a core 2 quad Q8200 from a good few years back lol, so that won't work. I don't really want to spend money just in case it's not the bios. I'm still confused with the beeps, the manual doesn't mention anything about for short beeps.

What a pain trying to figure out what BIOS that board had to figure out the beep codes...

4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

From AMI is all I can find that match the sound. While other posts say UEFI uses IBM codes but don't have 4 short lol. Also tried holding the MemOK while booting?

System Specs

lol thanks Nerd, I guess I could try the clock/timer. What exactly do I need to do to fix it. As I said in a previous post I've tried each memory module in each slot but nothing.

I tried holding the MemOK and it does the usual process where it powers down then up and the LED flashes faster. It eventually stops and the LED stays solid red.

I think it's ether the motherboard or the memory, Does anyone know how I can check if these are working without having to buy anything extra. I don't really want to buy more memory or motherboard in case it's not.