Best way to watch Youtube on a "dumb" TV

LarsReviews

The way I do it is by using XBMC on a computer connected to the tv (I use a raspberry pi), and then using an app called Yatse. It's basically a more functional XBMC remote app. 

One of the features on Yatse is the ability to push a YouTube video from your phone to XBMC. It's not a million miles from a chromecast.

Once Yatse is setup, you go onto the YouTube app and click the share button (I think it's an arrow or something near each video) and select the Yatse function and it'll be pushed to XBMC and will start playing. 

I will second that this is the way to go if you don't want to buy a Chromecast, it works pretty well.

You have to purchase the full version of YATSE to unlock this feature, but it's well worth it Imo it's simply the best software remote available on Android. It even has voice commands, pressing the voice button followed by saying "watch The Lego Movie" will make it instantly play on XBMC. Really impressive implementation for a 3rd party app.

It can also play your XBMC library on your mobile device. Just have them open with MX player (grab the custom codec for DTS audio) or you can cast them to another media device on the network, Chromecast, DLNA client, Apple TV etc (obviously there's no transcoding support while using XBMC as a server though).