First time build, what cooler to use?

GLHolmstroff
Go to solution Solved by Manny Calavera,

my total budget for the computer without peripherals is about 1000 euro (1200-1300 dollar)

I was going for the 8350 mainly for its price/performance. Where I'm buying, its nearly half the price of a 4790k.

Since the mobo can be basic as well my budget for CPU mobo and cooling is about 300 euro (425 dollar (terribly sorry for all the prices in euros, ive simply been doing the math with them for a few months))

ok then the cpu choice is understandable

this is usual choice http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/thermalright-cpu-cooler-hro2revabw

macho, make sure its not 120mm version

also make sure you get really good motherboard, what are your choices on motherboard?

Hey guys, new here and I have had a question on my mind for a while now.

I've decided to run a FX-8350, but I have no idea what cooler would be best to use for it.

I'd like some overclocking possibilities to be available,  but nothing extreme is necessary.

Should I just go with a cheap Hyper 212 Evo, an expensive Noctua, or even something into watercooling like an H100 ?

My budget is around 70-80 euro (100-110 dollar)

NH-d14

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Its pretty reckless to go with an 8350 if you have an option to go with 4690k or  4790k. 

Before you buy anything, what will you do with the processor and what is your budget for mobo + proc + cooling?

Hey guys, new here and I have had a question on my mind for a while now.

I've decided to run a FX-8350, but I have no idea what cooler would be best to use for it.

I'd like some overclocking possibilities to be available,  but nothing extreme is necessary.

Should I just go with a cheap Hyper 212 Evo, an expensive Noctua, or even something into watercooling like an H100 ?

My budget is around 70-80 euro (100-110 dollar)

H100 is looks matter if not Nh-D14

Well the 212 evo should yield some nice performance

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Its pretty reckless to go with an 8350 if you have an option to go with 4690k or 4790k.

Before you buy anything, what will you do with the processor and what is your budget for mobo + proc + cooling?

my total budget for the computer without peripherals is about 1000 euro (1200-1300 dollar)

I was going for the 8350 mainly for its price/performance. Where I'm buying, its nearly half the price of a 4790k.

Since the mobo can be basic as well my budget for CPU mobo and cooling is about 300 euro (425 dollar (terribly sorry for all the prices in euros, ive simply been doing the math with them for a few months))

this is usual choice http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/thermalright-cpu-cooler-hro2revabw

also make sure you get really good motherboard, what are your choices on motherboard?

NH-D14/D15 are pretty much the kings when it comes to air, so I would get one of those and a case with good airflow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

this is usual choice http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/thermalright-cpu-cooler-hro2revabw

A friend of mine strongly advised me the ASUS M5A97, so that's what im going with

A friend of mine strongly advised me the ASUS M5A97, so that's what im going with

allright

then spend the rest of the money on gpu :) 

allright

then spend the rest of the money on gpu :)

I was going to. Since I'm new here, I have no idea if it is appropriate to keep this conversation going here, or to do so in another thread. Anyway, ill take my chances for now and just say that I was going for a r9 270x, 16 GB of 2400 MHz vengeance ram (It literally is 5 euro's more expensive than 1600 MHz), WD Blue 1 TB and a 840 evo 120 GB SSD, all packed together in a carbide 500r

Still the question remains, since looks inside arent that much of an issue, can somebody tell  me the differences between the NH-D14/15 and the the thermalright HR-02?

I was going to. Since I'm new here, I have no idea if it is appropriate to keep this conversation going here, or to do so in another thread. Anyway, ill take my chances for now and just say that I was going for a r9 270x, 16 GB of 2400 MHz vengeance ram (It literally is 5 euro's more expensive than 1600 MHz), WD Blue 1 TB and a 840 evo 120 GB SSD, all packed together in a carbide 500r

Still the question remains, since looks inside arent that much of an issue, can somebody tell  me the differences between the NH-D14/15 and the the thermalright HR-02?

r9 270x is still very capable card, but you would want something more powerful, like r9 280 since you spare some cash on cpu cooler

if you are only gaming 8gb is enough, any speed, so you could spare some cash there too

difference in price is big, not so much in overclock. you want direct money to graphical performance . i can try to dig out prices and performances and you decide.

r9 270x is still very capable card, but you would want something more powerful, like r9 280 since you spare some cash on cpu cooler

if you are only gaming 8gb is enough, any speed, so you could spare some cash there too

difference in price is big, not so much in overclock. you want direct money to graphical performance . i can try to dig out prices and performances and you decide.

That would be nice, but I've looked at the webshop im planning to get most at, and the difference in prices between the NH-D14 and the Thermalright HR-02 is the same as the difference between the 270x and the 280x

NH-D14/D15 are pretty much the kings when it comes to air, so I would get one of those and a case with good airflow.

They are the king then it comes to cooling (Not custom massive water cooling thing)

KongGif2.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HHD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB GPU Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: Corsair RM 550W OS: Windows 8.1 Wireless network: Asus pce-n53 (Broken)

Go for an Cryorig R1 Universal/Ultimate,

It's much cheaper then the NH-D14/15 but still very good.

That would be nice, but I've looked at the webshop im planning to get most at, and the difference in prices between the NH-D14 and the Thermalright HR-02 is the same as the difference between the 270x and the 280x

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2991011_-macho-hr-02-thermalright.html

very cheap for great ( and big ) aircooler

yes definitly get best gpu possible. 280x is great choice. 

Go for an Cryorig R1 Universal/Ultimate,

It's much cheaper then the NH-D14/15 but still very good.

yea butnot in europe.

besides, you wont get more fps with maybe 200mhz bigger overclock, but you will gain ALOT of fps by buying more powerful gpu that on top of that has 1gb more vram that it should be standard by now

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2991011_-macho-hr-02-thermalright.html

very cheap for great ( and big ) aircooler

yes definitly get best gpu possible. 280x is great choice.

yea butnot in europe.

besides, you wont get more fps with maybe 200mhz bigger overclock, but you will gain ALOT of fps by buying more powerful gpu that on top of that has 1gb more vram that it should be standard by now

I would have to pay more for the Noctua Coolers here in Europe.

I would have to pay more for the Noctua Coolers here in Europe.

exactly. we are getting screwed with prices, so better stick with price / performance

Well, I have my new components selected, but I think this answers my questions here, if manny is still interested, I shall post my components down below, but I consider this thread solved

AMD FX-8530

Thermalright HR-02 macho

ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5

ASUS M5A97

Corsair CS650M

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2400 MHz

Samsung 840 EVO Basic 120 GB

WD Green 2 TB

Corsair Carbide 500r White

(and a bunch of red led fans, because I like the combo of white/red)

Deepcool Assassin looks pretty spiffy. The Scythe Mugen series is pretty good too.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.