MayFlower Objective 2 or Just Asus Zonar Stx

AudioNile

Hi there,

I am planning to get a Senheiser HD 800 and Audioengine a5+ speakers. I already have a Asus Zonar Stx in my pc. Do I need to get another dac and amp or is it recommended? If so which one should I get. I am looking at Desktop Objective2/ODAC with RCA? This is a good choice if needed, since it has a speaker and headphones out ports. Should I get a cheaper version of this or is this model suited for my needs?

Should be perfectly fine, it's a really good sound card.

@AudioNile

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

A DAC will always be better then a "dedicated" sound card, however if you already have a sound card then it's likely not worth it to throw money out for a DAC for a slight improvement in sound quality.

"Rawr XD"

Thanks. What headphones and sound card do you have?

A DAC will always be better then a "dedicated" sound card,

A DAC doesn't inherently make any "sounds"

I wouldn't use an STX with HD800, then again I wouldn't buy an HD800, but it should work perfectly fine.

You might also want to look for monitors with a digital input instead to bypass the sound card and any processing it already does.

I don't remember if the AE set you have picked is digital.

An STX will likely have a high resale value, I would probably go ahead and sell it for a solid DAC/amp, spend a tad bit less on those headphones or buy something good second hand. Maybe spend a bit less on your monitors, get something digital, and include a subwoofer at the same time if you're looking for dat bass outside of headphones. Use external standalone DAC and an amp. Depending on the unit, you can either a second output on the DAC, or use digital out from your motherboard for your monitors.

What speakers you pick in this situation will, IMO, depend a bit on what DAC+amp you choose if you plan to ditch the STX.

Your room and how you plan to lay this out will have a large effect.

Error: 410

Thanks. What headphones and sound card do you have?

On my PC I just have Audio Technica ATH-M50's just running off the motherboard. The only sound card I have is an Asus Xonar DG in my HTPC. Not because of the very slight improvement in sound quality that it may bring, but just cause I needed optical output.

"Rawr XD"

Compared to integrated audio how much of an improvement in quality do you think getting a sound card will make compared to getting a dedicated DAC?

Error: 410

Reasons to go with Asus Xonar STX:

1) Price.

2) Built-In dolby surround. (you can have the same effect with Razer Surround)

Reasons to go with O2+ODAC:

1)Uses USB instead of PCIe. USB Is expandable but PCIe isn't. and if you want to do a SLI config or you use network/raid cards you should take that into account.

2)No need for drivers.

3)Able to use with laptops.

4)Audio passthrough.

5)Physical volume knob.

6)Delivers A LOT of power for headphones.

7)You get really good support from Tyler. With Asus that could be a lot more troublesome.

Compared to integrated audio how much of an improvement in quality do you think getting a sound card will make compared to getting a dedicated DAC?

Please don't give advice to people if you don't know what you're talking about.

The ASUS Xonar Essence STX has got an output impedance of 10 ohms and the Sennheiser's HD 800 have an impedance of 300 ohms. There's no way in hell that the frequency response will be disturbed by a mere 10 ohms. It would take at least 40 ohms to even start hearing an audio disturbance.

This soundcard is also able to drive up to 600 ohms headphones so again, it will be able to drive the HD 800's fine.

Now, will a DAC/AMP like the ODAC and O2 make a difference in the perceived sound? It's for him to tell...

To OP: Try them with your soundcard and then go into an audio shop and ask if you can try them on a dedicated DAC/AMP. If you don't hear a difference, you won't need any one of those things. If you do, then you can decide if it's worth the price.

except noise or hum if it's not well designed

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

except noise or hum if it's not well designed

That still has nothing to do with the actual Digital to Analog conversion. Most likely case is something like EMI or shitty filters causing hiss/humming. That said, the STX sound card has average SNR but a 10.31ohm output impedance and likely not enough to drive the HD800 in terms of amp-performance (think it was only something like 120/140mw (about half of what is required) @ 300ohm). 

That still has nothing to do with the actual Digital to Analog conversion. Most likely case is something like EMI or shitty filters causing hiss/humming. That said, the STX sound card has average SNR but a 10.31ohm output impedance and likely not enough to drive the HD800 in terms of amp-performance (think it was only something like 120/140mw (about half of what is required) @ 300ohm). 

SNR past like 70 is pretty pointless and definitely inaudible unless you listen to your music in an anechoic chamber. Next up, the HD 800 needs about 70mW of power @300 ohms to reach 115dB.

The STX was specifically designed and often marketed as a compatible headphone with the Essence STX and Essence One.  Look at Linus's old videos from the NCIX days.  If it's got anything, it's got way more than enough power for a pair of HD800s.  Remember that power requirements are a function of resistance AND sensitivity, and resistance varies with frequency (impedance).

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The HD800 was specifically designed and often marketed as a compatible headphone with the Essence STX and Essence One.

FTFY

Also, "but muh power" cliche

post-2468-0-18930400-1408740555.jpg

SNR past like 70 is pretty pointless and definitely inaudible unless you listen to your music in an anechoic chamber. Next up, the HD 800 needs about 70mW of power @300 ohms to reach 115dB.

I didn't say it's SNR was bad, did I? About the power requirement, I just read different posts. They measured something like 150-200mw (or 7ish vrms) to reach 110db @ 300ohm. 

I didn't say it's SNR was bad, did I? About the power requirement, I just read different posts. They measured something like 150-200mw (or 7ish vrms) to reach 110db @ 300ohm. 

Calm your hushpuppies, my point is that talking about SNR is usually pointless except in cases of abysmal product design. I'm just going by the stated sensitivity as published by the manufacturer, if you want to throw around real numbers go ahead, as long as you produce a reference.