My 4790k isn't stable at 4.6ghz at 1.275v?

I never knew until I dumped a ton of money into watercooling. But it's luck I guess. My GPU isn't great either. But I haven't overclocked it seriously since I reverted to the stock bios. I've also been considering asking my parents for a 4790k for my birthday. Don't know if they would go for that. Also I want so much other stuff and I don't know if 800mhz is worth it.

Watch it wouldn't even hit stock clocks at 1.3V....

I'm so terrible.

Watch it wouldn't even hit stock clocks at 1.3V....

I'm so terrible.

Well then I could just return it lol. I thought my GPU was pretty good before I water cooled. $800 got me another 100 MHz. But it is quiet.

Kind of sucks that I got unlucky. I'm 15/16 Irish so I was pretty confused.

Another thing was a couple of weeks ago I thought I was wrong so I tried to overclock again. I got it to 4.9 before I realized I had my power settings at 99% so it was just running at 3.5. Killed me on the inside.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Well then I could just return it lol. I thought my GPU was pretty good before I water cooled. $800 got me another 100 MHz. But it is quiet.

Kind of sucks that I got unlucky. I'm 15/16 Irish so I was pretty confused.

Another thing was a couple of weeks ago I thought I was wrong so I tried to overclock again. I got it to 4.9 before I realized I had my power settings at 99% so it was just running at 3.5. Killed me on the inside.

Luck of the Irish, lol. 100 MHz isn't bad, especially if it's clocked high already. And holy shit. 3.5V. This ain't 1995 man. :P

Luck of the Irish, lol. 100 MHz isn't bad, especially if it's clocked high already. And holy shit. 3.5V. This ain't 1995 man. :P

No the power setting made it run at 3.5ghz instead of the 4.9 I had set in the bios.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

No the power setting made it run at 3.5ghz instead of the 4.9 I had set in the bios.

Ohhhh, I thought you meant volts... That's not as bad. Hell if it was 3.5V your cpu would have been a trooper surviving that.

Ohhhh, I thought you meant volts... That's not as bad. Hell if it was 3.5V your cpu would have been a trooper surviving that.

3.5v lol. Liquid nitrogen is the coolant I use in my loop actually. Have a servant who refills it for me every few minutes.

3.5v lol. Liquid nitrogen is the coolant I use in my loop actually. Have a servant who refills it for me every few minutes.

Money man :lol: I wonder how well running refrigerant would do. 

Has anyone asked what he's using to stress test? OP?

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

He's a one post wonder who hasn't even told us if he has an after market cooler.  Idiots in the first few comments telling him to push 1.3v and probably just killed his processor.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Money man :lol: I wonder how well running refrigerant would do.

Water is the best thing to run. Highest heat draw or whatever. I think if you're not an overclocking competitor, stick to air or traditional water cooling. Never understood the home user who has a nice tub or something.

Water is the best thing to run. Highest heat draw or whatever. I think if you're not an overclocking competitor, stick to air or traditional water cooling. Never understood the home user who has a nice tub or something.

But what if you want sub zero temps :o Then you can run a really high OC all the time.

But what if you want sub zero temps :o Then you can run a really high OC all the time.

You'd want phase change for that :P

Most chips still need to tank 1.7v+ for the big jiggahertz, my 5600k recently died of death at 1.8v  :unsure:

Yea but when your ice melts you have to go more. Also it wouldn't even be subzero. At that point is depends on how much heat the water block can get from the chips. Probably looking at 20c idle temps and 30c load or something like that.

You'd want phase change for that :P

Most chips still need to tank 1.7v+ for the big jiggahertz, my 5600k recently died of death at 1.8v  :unsure:

It's entirely possible to do this in a normal case. And it must be done!

Yea but when your ice melts you have to go more. Also it wouldn't even be subzero. At that point is depends on how much heat the water block can get from the chips. Probably looking at 20c idle temps and 30c load or something like that.

That's why I steal your servant.. :D

That's why I steal your servant.. :D

Woah bitch back off, Oswalt is mine forever.

*whispers to myself* damn plebeians.

Woah bitch back off, Oswalt is mine forever.

*whispers to myself* damn plebeians.

*cries forever*

Be super loud though from my understanding :(

You'd probably want LN2 still because at ~-120c it becomes a superconductor for mega oc :)

*cries forever*

Keep crying servant-less peasant!

Alright! Alright! Sorry guys forgot to mention I have a h100i! I didn't expect this much attention on this post! I'm new here and usually on PCPP, where getting more than 2 replies is amazing! Thanks for the replies! I'm not really comfortable going over 1.275v unless someone can disuade me. 

Build:

i7 4790k

asus sabertooth z97 mark1

1600mhz Corsair venegance 16gb

r9 290 (sapphire tri-x)

Corsair h100i.

Corsair Obsidian 450d

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

Alright! Alright! Sorry guys forgot to mention I have a h100i! I didn't expect this much attention on this post! I'm new here and usually on PCPP, where getting more than 2 replies is amazing! Thanks for the replies! I'm not really comfortable going over 1.275v unless someone can disuade me. 

Build:

i7 4790k

asus sabertooth z97 mark1

1600mhz Corsair venegance 16gb

r9 290 (sapphire tri-x)

Corsair h100i.

Corsair Obsidian 450d

It is possible that you just have a less than average chip.  Another possibility is that your H100i is not mounted properly and temperatures are through the roof.  Idling in the mid 30s is not good unless you live somewhere with an incredibly high ambient.

Hopefully this helps with the mounting problem

You do have good cooling, so going up to 1.3v is safe, and you might even be able to push further depending on how comfortable you feel.  Do you do anything other than gaming with your computer where a program would benefit from extra computing power?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I just got a I7 4790k, I'm able to get 4.6ghz and 1.225 volts.

But to get 4.7ghz it takes up to 1.340 volts. Huggggggggge jump just for a additional 100mhz.

It is possible that you just have a less than average chip.  Another possibility is that your H100i is not mounted properly and temperatures are through the roof.  Idling in the mid 30s is not good unless you live somewhere with an incredibly high ambient.

Hopefully this helps with the mounting problem

You do have good cooling, so going up to 1.3v is safe, and you might even be able to push further depending on how comfortable you feel.  Do you do anything other than gaming with your computer where a program would benefit from extra computing power?

Hey!

When fan speeds are at Full speed, the temps are down to about low 30s, or high 20s. Usually it's mid 30 or sometimes low 30s. When I was making my PC, I put the h100i block on then removed it, could that be the problem? Bear in mind the h100i had been turned on so the paste had been used, but I also put it back on without touching or adding the paste that was already there! Could this be the prob?

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

I just got a I7 4790k, I'm able to get 4.6ghz and 1.225 volts.

But to get 4.7ghz it takes up to 1.340 volts. Huggggggggge jump just for a additional 100mhz.

Lucky! I can't even stay stable on 4.5ghz. Piss take :(

Hey!

When fan speeds are at Full speed, the temps are down to about low 30s, or high 20s. Usually it's mid 30 or sometimes low 30s. When I was making my PC, I put the h100i block on then removed it, could that be the problem? Bear in mind the h100i had been turned on so the paste had been used, but I also put it back on without touching or adding the paste that was already there! Could this be the prob?

mmm thats not the greatest of temperatures, especially for full speed...  Idle is not what you should be most concerned with though.  Do you have any spare thermal paste?  Might be a good idea to reapply it when you get a chance. 

What are you using to stress the processor?  What are your temperatures?  Are you using manual voltage when stress testing?

BUT FSX THE 4790K ISNT FOR GAMING SAVE THE MONEY AND BUY A 4690K AND OVERCLOCK IT

drop it. the 4690k is for gaming, you wont benefit from the 4790k for gaming.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans