Second shooting in Fergusson kills a 25 year old

Cool, Canadian law enforcement. What exactly make you feel like you are more qualified to discuss this than an American Engineer?

If you were American law enforcement I would yield, but your not. 

Are you serious?  Guess i'll just log out now and let the keyboard cops tell it how it is.

Are you serious?  Guess i'll just log out now and let the keyboard cops tell it how it is.

Ok cool.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I actually want your input BTW. I don't dismiss any LEO regardless of where they come from. Takes a lot more balls than I've got to do that job.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

^advantage Phillbert.

Funny how people from the UK, who generally have no real world experience with guns, are so very quick to dismiss others for wanting an equalizer to defend themselves with. The simple fact is, if someone breaks into my house with a knife, hears me cock my shotgun, they are going to brown their pants and run 90% of the time, the other 10% they are going to get shot. Most of the time you wont even need to use it.

But no, lets outlaw them based on the fact that "Their dangerous and can hurtz peoplezz!!!!!!!" which is a statement that can be applied to every single object on the planet.

No, It's the fact that in the US that around 89% of the public own a firearm of which a large percentage of those are unlikely to understand the full the implications to owning a gun. More guns = more guncrime. Nothing else to it.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I actually want your input BTW. I don't dismiss any LEO regardless of where they come from. Takes a lot more balls than I've got to do that job.

For the record, I am not dismissing his opinion because he is LEO or because he is Canadian. I am dismissing it because of his obvious elitist attitude. I don't take well to people telling me they are better than me. ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

For the record, I am not dismissing his opinion because he is LEO or because he is Canadian. I am dismissing it because of his obvious elitist attitude. I don't take well to people telling me they are better than me. ;)

Whilst I tend to agree, I do think that LEO's are slightly more qualified to comment, I've never had to draw my gun on someone, I hope I never do to be honest.

No, It's the fact that in the US that around 89% of the public own a firearm of which a large percentage of those are unlikely to understand the full the implications to owning a gun. More guns = more guncrime. Nothing else to it.

First off I dont buy your statistics. Got a source.

Second what is your backing behind the bolded part? Seems like you are doing a lot of projection here.

I would like to hear your opinion on this. As there is clearly a conflict of opinions.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Whilst I tend to agree, I do think that LEO's are slightly more qualified to comment, I've never had to draw my gun on someone, I hope I never do to be honest.

Although LEO's can offer a very good insight. I do not buy, even for a second, that a Canadian LEO is more qualified to discuss this issue than the rest of us.

I also have a CCW permit and like you, have never had to remove it from the holster.

Check my earlier post and read it PROPERLY: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201493-second-shooting-in-fergusson-kills-a-25-year-old/page-4#entry2732614

First off I dont buy your statistics. Got a source.

Second what is your backing behind the bolded part? Seems like you are doing a lot of projection here.

You were saying? It's called an opinion, i also sourced my statistics if you actually read it.

If it came off as elitist, it wasn't meant to be. I don't go chiming in on topics i have zero knowledge/experience in. You don't see my talking about Engineering, since i'm not in that line of work.

89%? Are you high?

There are roughly 300 million people in this country, there are roughly 60 million gun owners, and roughly 100 million guns (these are the commonly used statistics here). That's a FAR cry from 89%. And the simple fact is, most gun owners are obsessive about safety. I got smacked in the head the first time I accidentally barrel swept someone. Never did it again. Hell my ex girlfriends dad lectured me for an hour because I reached into the bed of the truck and pulled my unloaded shotgun out by the barrel, which is a huge no-no.

This is why your not qualified to comment, you have no experience with gun ownership, or gun owners, period. Most stores will kick you out and ban you for accidentally barrel sweeping people.

Check my earlier post and read it PROPERLY: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201493-second-shooting-in-fergusson-kills-a-25-year-old/page-4#entry2732614

You were saying? It's called an opinion, i also sourced my statistics if you actually read it.

I did read it, but it appears you misread it. 88 guns for ever 100 people =/= 89% of the US population owning guns.

Be calm. No reason to get all worked up.

89%? Are you high?

There are roughly 300 million people in this country, there are roughly 60 million gun owners, and roughly 100 million guns (these are the commonly used statistics here). That's a FAR cry from 89%. And the simple fact is, most gun owners are obsessive about safety. I got smacked in the head the first time I accidentally barrel swept someone. Never did it again. Hell my ex girlfriends dad lectured me for an hour because I reached into the bed of the truck and pulled my unloaded shotgun out by the barrel, which is a huge no-no.

This is why your not qualified to comment, you have no experience with gun ownership, or gun owners, period. Most stores will kick you out and ban you for accidentally barrel sweeping people.

I'm not qualified to have an opinion on the matter? Are you an idiot. Besides the fact i proved my statistics, unlike yourself.

i dont blame the cop for this. if someone walked up to you with a knife, you would shoot them too, if you could

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I did read it, but it appears you misread it. 88 guns for ever 100 people =/= 89% of the US population owning guns.

Be calm. No reason to get all worked up.

It's actually less than that. There are over 300 million people, roughly 100 million guns, roughly 60 million private gun owners.

Here's an idea for benny, go get a knife, and just start walking up to a cop holding it saying "shoot me now!" and see what response you get.

If it came off as elitist, it wasn't meant to be. I don't go chiming in on topics i have zero knowledge/experience in. You don't see my talking about Engineering, since i'm not in that line of work.

Fair enough.

It's actually less than that. There are over 300 million people, roughly 100 million guns, roughly 60 million private gun owners.

Here's an idea for benny, go get a knife, and just start walking up to a cop holding it saying "shoot me now!" and see what response you get.

I was just looking at the one place where he might have maybe pulled his 89% of the population owns guns nonsense from. And it said there are 88 guns per 100 people, which I could believe.

Its very very difficult to say exactly how many firearms are in the US, so numbers vary a bit from stat to stat.

I'm not qualified to have an opinion on the matter? Are you an idiot. Besides the fact i proved my statistics, unlike yourself.

No, no you didnt. You seem to have misread that article where it said there are 88 guns per 100 people. I read it many times and it does not say that 89% of Americans own guns. 

So no you did not prove your statistics. You made a mistake, own up to it and we can move on.

Okay, if I walked up to you with a knife, what are my chances of getting shot?

I believe I can answer that one, and quote crocodile dundee, "better than average"

I believe I can answer that one, and quote crocodile dundee, "better than average"

I would not doubt that.

Yes, coming from a country where you 9 TIMES less likely to be shot than in the US. Besides the fact if you bothered to learn proper self-defence, you would know how to properly disarm someone and incapacitate them. Unlike a large percentage of Americans who are too cowardly to properly stand up to someone and would rather just hide behind the barrel of a gun.

US Population: 300 million.

Population of England and Wales (the countries you said earlier): 55 million combined. Are you surprised you're less likely to be shot? I'm not, and I don't think it has anything to do with guns, I think it has to do with those countries having nicer people.

Crime is down in the US since the 1990s including gun violence. You can't tell me places like China with a population of 1.3 billion report all their crime, let alone the knifing massacre's they've been having recently (LET'S BAN ALL KNIVES). Guns are not the problem, and the day a fundamental right of the US citizens is removed is the day America falls. If you don't want that right then you can live somewhere that doesn't have it, it's up to you.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

US Population: 300 million.

Population of England and Wales (the countries you said earlier): 55 million combined. Are you surprised you're less likely to be shot? I'm not, and I don't think it has anything to do with guns, I think it has to do with those countries having nicer people.

Crime is down in the US since the 1990s including gun violence. You can't tell me places like China with a population of 1.3 billion report all their crime, let alone the knifing massacre's they've been having recently (LET'S BAN ALL KNIVES). Guns are not the problem, and the day a fundamental right of the US citizens is removed is the day America falls. If you don't want that right then you can live somewhere that doesn't have it, it's up to you.

They wouldn't be able to. Every single cop and all military personell would quit because they don't have the man power to actually enforce that kind of law, not to mention they would be fighting their own families for the most part, as well as being outnumber out the ass.

50/50 :)