Microsoft offers 3GB of additional storage to students

TGBSeth

"Students can now receive an additional 3GB of cloud storage from Microsoft as long as they have a valid .edu email address.  Once you redeem your storage code from Microsoft, you will have an extra 3GB of Skydrive cloud storage."

FULL STORY: http://www.tgbuzz.com/2013/05/26/microsoft-offers-3gb-of-additional-storage-to-students/

What do you think?  Which cloud storage service do you prefer?

That's very generous from Microsoft but I prefer not to have cloud storage

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I use Google Drive and it's only £2 a month for 25GB storage, an extra 3GB doesn't really do much.  I'm sure that most people only use cloud storage for documents so don't even need much storage space.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

im a UK student and this only applies to US students :( 

An extra 3Gb isn't that much nowadays 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

im a UK student and this only applies to US students :(

Same :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I have 27gb skydrive [came with Office 365 University], 50gb dropbox [came with my Note 10.1], 5gb ubuntu one and 2x 5gb google drive, I think I'm fine ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

That's very generous from Microsoft but I prefer not to have cloud storage

Well, for group projects and stuff it's actually quite nice to have a hub where everyone can dump his / her progress, files, articles and so on ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Pretty nice of them! more than enough for stuff related to school work.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

How do you take advantage of this? I don't see where you can verify your .edu email.

That would be nice, but I don't have a .edu email address.

I think i'll stick with my 50GB dropbox cloud storage.

Sweet, more cloud storage I'm never going to use. :P

Nothing against Skydrive, but I have like 150GB between 4 other services, and most of that's empty.  :lol:

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Uh...you could also use Mega and get 50GB.

But you don't have a program like SkyDrive which puts a folder in your profile, where all you content are synced over network or internet, on all your other computers. This is great for laptop/desktop setup. I put my projects/assignments/etc there, so that the latest version is available on both my systems. My desktop does hourly backup with Windows 8 File History of my stuff, including my SkyDrive folder, just in case.

But you don't have a program like SkyDrive which puts a folder in your profile, where all you content are synced over network or internet, on all your other computers. This is great for laptop/desktop setup. I put my projects/assignments/etc there, so that the latest version is available on both my systems. My desktop does hourly backup with Windows 8 File History of my stuff, including my SkyDrive folder, just in case.

I was just posting another alternative! I don't use online storage, I just create backups of mine on a RAID. But I know the benefits of online storage :)

I pretty much take all the free cloud storage I can get, why pay even a few bucks for 25GB with some particular provider when you can get 5GB with each of 5 pretty much equivalent services with their free packages.

Then again, I never use most of it. I mean, I have 32GB of ASUS web storage with my laptop, but in a couple years that'll run out so I don't put anything in it, and I really don't have anything that needs that much space.

Wow, this is very generous of Microsoft... sooooo... whats the catch? do they monitor your data and sell it for profit or something? MS have to have an angle here

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I already have 25GB on Skydrive for free when I made the switch from Live to Outlook early. It's been more then enough storage for me so far...

Uh...you could also use Mega and get 50GB.

Its only a matter of time before that gets shut down... poor kimdotcom getting tortured by the govt. Anyway, Microsoft has always supported education. From discounts on Microsoft windows, To discounts on office software; this is one of the things thar are so great about Microsoft.

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Its only a matter of time before that gets shut down... poor kimdotcom getting tortured by the govt. Anyway, Microsoft has always supported education. From discounts on Microsoft windows, To discounts on office software; this is one of the things thar are so great about Microsoft.

- winny3141 :D

Why would it get shut down?  They aren't breaking any laws haha.

the only cloud storage i use is MEGA.co.nz

Character artist in the Games industry.