ATH-ADG1 Sound Card?

Was thinking about getting the ATH-ADG1's

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATHADG1-Open-Back-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00H8NS1K8/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_i

however, i was also contemplating just getting the ATH-AD900X's and then using a modmic:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900X-Open-Back-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408457627&sr=1-1&keywords=ad900x

Let me know what your opinions are on either matter, but more importantly i was wondering if I needed to get a soundcard if i were to purchase either of these. Currently i own a MSI Z87-GD65:

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87GD65_GAMING.html#hero-overview

that comes with Sound Blaster SBX if i recall.

Will this suffice or should I get something dedicated?

Thanks so much!

--Austin

The "enchanced audio" on motherboards is mostly snake oil.

Not necessarily, some motherboards come with decent dacs and amps built in, some enough to drive high impedance headphones with a really clean signal, motherboard audio is certainly getting a lot better these days

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The "enchanced audio" on motherboards is mostly snake oil.

More like blinker fluid.

i was also contemplating just getting the ATH-AD900X's and then using a modmic:

Do thissssssssssssssss. The ADG1's are either a 500X or 700X (though those are also pretty much identical). Not sure exactly how close the 900X's are.

Not necessarily, some motherboards come with decent dacs and amps built in, some enough to drive high impedance headphones with a really clean signal, motherboard audio is certainly getting a lot better these days

Sure, its getting a tiny bit better but is still mostly shit.

Sure, its getting a tiny bit better but is still mostly shit.

only if you compare it to 1000$+ audio setup

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

only if you compare it to 1000$+ audio setup

Not really, any dedicated soundcard (even cheap ones) will eclipse any integrated motherboard audio.

Not really, any dedicated soundcard (even cheap ones) will eclipse any integrated motherboard audio.

I agree with and support what you're saying 100%. These elitist audio sub regulars don't know what they are talking about. LTT!

post-2468-0-97030200-1396149775.jpg

post-2468-0-97030200-1396149775.jpg

27424758d1394748465-fansproject-stuntico

Mystery is the source of all true science.

So grasping at straws then?

Uh. no...It's just not as absolute as you think it is. Most integrated sound cards sound just as good as other expensive sound cards...It actually depends what you're looking for, and what features you're getting going with the more expensive options.

So grasping at straws then?

Please don't talk in an audio forums if you don't know what you're talking about.

His motherboard has the Realtek ALC1150 codec for audio. It's got a signal-to-noise ratio of 115db and an output impedance of 2 ohms. Soundcards around $100 have a SNR of 116db and an output impedance of around 10 ohms...

Do you know what this means? It means any soundcards below the range of $250 will sound exactly like his onboard audio. Furthermore, since his onboard has got a lesser output impedance, it means it can support more headphones without audio degradation.

By the 1/8th rule, soundcards can only drive headphones of 80ohms and more to make sure there's no audio degradation. His onboard can drive anything from 16ohms and up.

To OP: You don't need a soundcard at all.

Edit: If you're worried about not having virtual surround, you can always download Razer Surround for free on their website. It's the same thing as CMSS-3D or Dolby headphones just maybe of lesser quality.

Please don't talk in an audio forums if you don't know what you're talking about.

His motherboard has the Realtek ALC1150 codec for audio. It's got a sensitivity of 115db and an output impedance of 2 ohms. Soundcards around $100 have a sensitivity of 116db and an output impedance of around 10 ohms...

Do you know what this means? It means any soundcards below the range of $250 will sound exactly like his onboard audio. Furthermore, since his onboard has got a lesser output impedance, it means it can support more headphones without audio degradation.

By the 1/8th rule, soundcards can only drive headphones of 80ohms and more to make sure there's no audio degradation. His onboard can drive anything from 16ohms and up.

To OP: You don't need a soundcard at all.

Edit: If you're worried about not having virtual surround, you can always download Razer Surround for free on their website. It's the same thing as CMSS-3D or Dolby headphones just maybe of lesser quality.

Good, but soundcards don't have sensitivity. That number is probably the claimed SNR.

Good, but soundcards don't have sensitivity. That number is probably the claimed SNR.

Yeah that's right, I don't know why I wrote sensitivity :ph34r: