so my soldering iron burned up

megadarkwood

I had been using it for over an hour so I guess it overheated and turned red, now it obviously doesn't work so I need to buy a new one..

The one I have is called the komec 936.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/mFeEy

Recommendations for a new one?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Just get a nice Weller One. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

That's normal though? I assume you're talking about the purplish discolouration. I'm surprised it doesn't work now.

Edit: Oh it turned red...that's an issue lol.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

That's normal though? I assume you're talking about the purplish discolouration. I'm surprised it doesn't work now.

Edit: Oh it turned red...that's an issue lol.

yeah it heats up but then the actual rubber handle starts to heat and if I leave it for too long it starts to smoke

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

yeah it heats up but then the actual rubber handle starts to heat and if I leave it for too long it starts to smoke

thats normal.......

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I know that, but I don't know how to explain it. It won't heat up properly and the tip turns red when I turn it on now

Weller is a good brand but honestly if you're just doing casual work the extra reliability they offer isn't really an issue, and for example an affordable Velleman iron or something will last you a few years. More important is choosing the right wattage. I find about 25W is ideal for soldering your average through-hole components. I also bought a 40 watt Weller one, but that gets too hot and actually damages the pcb when I try to solder. It's useful for desoldering though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I use a crappy 30w $4 iron from Harbor Freight for small stuff, and a simple propane blow torch for the more manly jobs.

Weller is a good brand but honestly if you're just doing casual work the extra reliability they offer isn't really an issue, and for example an affordable Velleman iron or something will last you a few years. More important is choosing the right wattage. I find about 25W is ideal for soldering your average through-hole components. I also bought a 40 watt Weller one, but that gets too hot and actually damages the pcb when I try to solder. It's useful for desoldering though.

Get an adjustable one  :)