Is it ok to SLI cards of different brand?

eurekH

Hi guys, so i have two systems, each one is running a gtx 660, but one of them is MSI and the other is ASUS, i went over the specs and both cards are almost identical, except for the core and boost clocks, i want to upgrade one of the systems to a 780, and use the 660's for the other system in SLI, you guys think is there going to be issues??

Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi guys, so i have two systems, each one is running a gtx 660, but one of them is MSI and the other is ASUS, i went over the specs and both cards are almost identical, except for the core and boost clocks, i want to upgrade one of the systems to a 780, and use the 660's for the other system in SLI, you guys think is there going to be issues??

Thanks a lot for the help.

Yep, no problem. I believe that the core and boost clocks will run at the speed of the slowest card when in SLI.

"Rawr XD"

Yep, no problem. I believe that the core and boost clocks will run at the speed of the slowest card when in SLI.

They can run at different speeds. My 760's do.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

They can run at different speeds. My 760's do.

Last time I SLI'd cards I could only adjust the speed of one (two 660 Ti's)

"Rawr XD"

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help.

Should work, some coolers don't have good cooling in SLI but it'll work.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Ive used an EVGA & Asus 680 in SLI for over a year now without issue.

Potato

Ive used an EVGA & Asus 680 in SLI for over a year now without issue.

Is your profile pic... from a game?

*gets excited*

Is your profile pic... from a game?

*gets excited*

Uh.. APB: Reloaded

Potato

Last time I SLI'd cards I could only adjust the speed of one (two 660 Ti's)

That just depends how you setup the SLI. If you run the cards linked both (except the voltage) will adjust to whatever you adjust on one of the cards.

I run my SLI linked because they overclock pretty decent and there is no need to push one card harder than the other.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

That just depends how you setup the SLI. If you run the cards linked both (except the voltage) will adjust to whatever you adjust on one of the cards.

I run my SLI linked because they overclock pretty decent and there is no need to push one card harder than the other.

Exactly. At default OC's one of my cards always runs 14MHz faster than the others. I've played around with linking/unlinking them using PrecisionX 15 and most certainly can run them at different speeds. Played with them this last week actually, and I will again in the coming weeks (I'm interested in seeing how high each one wants to go/see how far I can go on air and be stable in SLI).

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Exactly. At default OC's one of my cards always runs 14MHz faster than the others. I've played around with linking/unlinking them using PrecisionX 15 and most certainly can run them at different speeds. Played with them this last week actually, and I will again in the coming weeks (I'm interested in seeing how high each one wants to go/see how far I can go on air and be stable in SLI).

If you OC 1 card in SLI, it'll run at the speed of the slower card in SLI-enabled games

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If you OC 1 card in SLI, it'll run at the speed of the slower card in SLI-enabled games

No, you can OC them to whatever you like, whichever one is "faster" will still run faster.

I used to run 1 of my 780's at 1228 and the other at 1201, no issues & they both read in GPU-Z at different clock speeds in games.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No, you can OC them to whatever you like, whichever one is "faster" will still run faster.

I used to run 1 of my 780's at 1228 and the other at 1201, no issues & they both read in GPU-Z at different clock speeds in games.

I've done this before, however it doesn't grant you the benefits in-game until you OC the second card up. That's my experience; with a +100/500 OC on the main card and the second card left at stock.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Negative. Both cards run at the speed I set them, even if different (provided it's stable). I've done this as recently as this past week, monitoring GPU clocks on my second monitor while playing on my main.

Both of my cards are EVGA's "Superclocked" cards, with one peaking at 1215MHz and the other at 1201MHz with the factory overclock. The only time they run at the same speed is when the application does not require full power of the GPU (IE lower than the previously mentioned clocks).

From what I've seen on the net there was a time that the clocks speeds were always limited to the slower one - but that was quite some time ago (before I built my current rig, so 8+ months ago). This seems to be no longer the case from all the playing I've done in the last 8 months.

Negative. Both cards run at the speed I set them, even if different (provided it's stable). I've done this as recently as this past week, monitoring GPU clocks on my second monitor while playing on my main.

Both of my cards are EVGA's "Superclocked" cards, with one peaking at 1215MHz and the other at 1201MHz with the factory overclock. The only time they run at the same speed is when the application does not require full power of the GPU (IE lower than the previously mentioned clocks).

From what I've seen on the net there was a time that the clocks speeds were always limited to the slower one - but that was quite some time ago (before I built my current rig, so 8+ months ago). This seems to be no longer the case from all the playing I've done in the last 8 months.

I've done this before, however it doesn't grant you the benefits in-game until you OC the second card up. That's my experience; with a +100/500 OC on the main card and the second card left at stock.

^ when I get back the machine in my sig I'll happily test this and see if I get benefits from OC-ing 1 card in a GPU-bound game. Unfortunately I can't test right now. If you can test and make sure that the load limits are the same on each card (and PLEASE, use a larger clock difference, like 1200MHz on card 1 and 1000MHz on card 2) and see if both cards scale to 99% in a game that they otherwise scale to 99% in, and show me the resultant information, then I'll accept, check for myself when I get back my machine, then update my guide and adapt what I tell people in the future.

^ when I get back the machine in my sig I'll happily test this and see if I get benefits from OC-ing 1 card in a GPU-bound game. Unfortunately I can't test right now. If you can test and make sure that the load limits are the same on each card (and PLEASE, use a larger clock difference, like 1200MHz on card 1 and 1000MHz on card 2) and see if both cards scale to 99% in a game that they otherwise scale to 99% in, and show me the resultant information, then I'll accept, check for myself when I get back my machine, then update my guide and adapt what I tell people in the future.

I'll be able to test come the weekend. Did some extremely quick testing today with Heaven, but want to do a better job for more conclusive results. Weekend project!

Thus far with both clocks at 1202MHz both scale up to 99%, which they also do with clocks set at 1215/1097MHz respectively. As I said though, this was just a quick run. I'll see what I've got to throw at the setup game/program-wise this weekend to investigate further.

This is cool. Learning more and more as I go. If I end up biting my tongue I will, but I'm not ready to do that yet! Haha.

I'll be able to test come the weekend. Did some extremely quick testing today with Heaven, but want to do a better job for more conclusive results. Weekend project!

Thus far with both clocks at 1202MHz both scale up to 99%, which they also do with clocks set at 1215/1097MHz respectively. As I said though, this was just a quick run. I'll see what I've got to throw at the setup game/program-wise this weekend to investigate further.

This is cool. Learning more and more as I go. If I end up biting my tongue I will, but I'm not ready to do that yet! Haha.

Ok. Looks like I have more testing to do when I get back my laptop then.