What Keyboard Layout Do You Use?

How many of us out there took the plunge and began using a different keyboard layout. What are your stories  of how you switched, and why did you choose the layout that you did?

If you want to know more about the different layouts, check out this page.

http://xahlee.info/kbd/dvorak_and_all_keyboard_layouts.html

I myself use Dvorak at home and Programmers Dvorak at work.

Learning an alternate layout takes time. It took me 2 Months to match my QWERTY speed. By my third month though I gained an extra 20 WPM. I am now at 145 WPM, on a good day. And no longer get any Carpal Tunnel.

add azerty and qwertz please

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I've wanted to try DVORAK for quite a while now. But switching layouts every time i use a different computer is a dealbreaker :/

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I am too used to QWERTY and have no need or want to switch. My typing is fast enough, and I am happy with being a normal typer  :P

I should be studying.

Well qwerty, because

1. I'm a very slow typist anyway

2. I just couldn't use dvorak, it'd be impossible for me to type my name.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I've wanted to try DVORAK for quite a while now. But switching layouts every time i use a different computer is a dealbreaker :/

If you have an extra keyboard that you keep at work than it shouldn't be a problem. I keep a DAS 4 ultimate with MX White stems and MX Blue springs with an O-Ring mod. All the advantages of blues and none of the sound. I also threw on a pair of my favorite PBT keycaps, and keep an ALPS ErgoDox and a Ergo-Clear ErgoDox and a Topre Type Heaven just in case I ever want a different typing experience or I start to get uncomfortable.

If you have an extra keyboard that you keep at work than it shouldn't be a problem. I keep a DAS 4 ultimate with MX White stems and MX Blue springs with an O-Ring mod. All the advantages of blues and none of the sound. I also threw on a pair of my favorite PBT keycaps, and keep an ALPS ErgoDox and a Ergo-Clear ErgoDox just in case I ever want a different typing experience or I start to get uncomfortable.

I've made the mistake of getting the K95 keyboard from corsair.. So if i wanted  a second keyboard i couldn't buy anything of lower quality = Expensive keyboards.. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I've made the mistake of getting the K95 keyboard from corsair.. So if i wanted  a second keyboard i couldn't buy anything of lower quality = Expensive keyboards.. 

Lol. Luckily I have a really good paying job. But I have probably spent over $10,000 on all my keyboards. I own 26 right now  and they are all modded or customized in some way. It is way too addictive. Ironically I use them all.

Lol. Luckily I have a really good paying job. But I have probably spent over $10,000 on all my keyboards. I own 26 right now  and they are all modded or customized in some way. It is way too addictive. Ironically I use them all.

Over $10.000!? 26 keyboards!?

02_intervention_himym_zps51c42a40.gif

Over $10.000!? 26 keyboards!?

02_intervention_himym_zps51c42a40.gif

Thank You I needed this. Albeit I bought some of the boards for my wife and kids. But I have a problem.

Thank You I needed this. Albeit I bought some of the boards for my wife and kids. But I have a problem.

In most cases it's the wife that puts a stop to these kinds of things xD Usually before it even starts

I had a similar problem (6 project cars) And then i got a girlfriend. The cars dissapeared pretty fast after that  <_<

PS.

I keep hitting F5 reflexively when i see your profile pic..  :angry:

I wish that i didn't use the qwerty keyboard layout because it really is all over the place. Sadly i am stuck with it because I haven't found a typing software that teaches it in a decent way. I swear qwerty has a monopoly on the keyboard industry. 

I wish that i didn't use the qwerty keyboard layout because it really is all over the place. Sadly i am stuck with it because I haven't found a typing software that teaches it in a decent way. I swear qwerty has a monopoly on the keyboard industry. 

The way I did it was just jumping right in. Changed up all the keycaps, and started learning from scratch. At first I had too look down at my keyboard a lot. But as time passed I eased myself away from this. Websites like Typeracer http://play.typeracer.com/ really helped me get familiarized with the layout. And it also helped me get my WPM back. I was stuck at 30 WPM for a while, and once I discovered Typeracer, that number began to climb again.

The important thing to note is to NOT GO BACK TO QWERTY. For your first month, you will hate your new layout. It will be slow and awkward. But as your skill increases. So will your speeds and you will begin to love it. QWERTY is nearly foreign to me now.