Im new!

andyleecameron

Hello there friends!

Im new to this but i need your help.

Im going to build my first pc and i have a budget of around £550 or about$900

With this i need to buy peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse etc)

This computer will mainly be for music production, but in future i may upgrade to a graphics card for gaming. So the motherboard will need a few pci slots and ideally some usb 3.0 capability! WIll also need to be at least 16gb of ram... 

Ive seen other peoples builds but they dont state actual components, just that this is the pc they use.

Would really appreciate the help.

What country you in OP? Cheapest to buy from retails in your country rather than ordering outside.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

What country you in OP? Cheapest to buy from retails in your country rather than ordering outside.

Im in the UK :) 

Im in the UK :)

Coolbeans, hopefully someone can help you out shortly - personally i'm more of a gamer, so i'm not gonna be able to help recommend what's good for music production :P

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Welcome OP!

Check out the build planning section here, http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

make a thread with your location, your budget, what you need it to do, your brand preferences, other limitations you might have, etc. and enjoy!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Coolbeans, hopefully someone can help you out shortly - personally i'm more of a gamer, so i'm not gonna be able to help recommend what's good for music production :P

Its mainly ram and cpu, ive been told by a friend to buy a soundcard in the future as most motherboards have pretty good sound on them as it is.

I'm don't know much about builds for music production but http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gQwCZL there is a pc with keyboard, mouse and monitor for just over your budget in the UK. :P

Ive got a 1tb hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it and some other bits, if i plug this in and make this a boot drive will i not need to install windows? 

Ive got a 1tb hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it and some other bits, if i plug this in and make this a boot drive will i not need to install windows? 

you probably won't, which will save you a lot of cash.

However, I think it'll be better if you got the key off the install and re-installed windows, since the drivers from your old PC will slow down your new one.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I'm don't know much about builds for music production but http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gQwCZL there is a pc with keyboard, mouse and monitor for just over your budget in the UK. :P

you probably won't, which will save you a lot of cash.

However, I think it'll be better if you got the key off the install and re-installed windows, since the drivers from your old PC will slow down your new one.

Im also told Intel is sometimes a bit better than amd, but sometimes a bit more expensive? Any truth behind this?

Im also told Intel is sometimes a bit better than amd, but sometimes a bit more expensive? Any truth behind this?

Yes, Intel can be better for multi core processes in my observations and yes they are quite expensive compared to AMD when at lower price points.

In this build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gYf26h

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£155.94 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£47.84 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: GeIL EVO CORSA Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£115.20 @ Kustom PCs) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£75.90 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£40.74 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£37.68 @ Aria PC) 
Monitor: Dell E1913S 60Hz 19.0" Monitor  (£60.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  (£9.35 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £542.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-16 16:17 BST+0100

I chose intel because of the lower heat, and the faster single-core performance. 

I don't know about music production, but Intel also has integrated graphics, which, unlike the FX-6300 or other AMD chips, allows your PC to be used without a GPU. Intel also tends to run cooler, so your parts may last longer.

The Motherboard, RAM, PSU and Case are from decent brands that are value-oriented (With the exception of the RAM which is pretty premium, but still at a low price point) but have all the features you need.
I left out an OS because you can use the key from the OS you currently have, and you can use the HDD as a mass storage drive.
I'd highly suggest a clean install simply because you're using all new components.
The SSD doesn't add to performance, but in content creation any program that uses large files will be able to access them much more quickly. The MX100 is a low-cost and quick drive, having been newly released.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

In this build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gYf26h

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£155.94 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£47.84 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: GeIL EVO CORSA Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£115.20 @ Kustom PCs) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£75.90 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£40.74 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£37.68 @ Aria PC) 
Monitor: Dell E1913S 60Hz 19.0" Monitor  (£60.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  (£9.35 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £542.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-16 16:17 BST+0100

I chose intel because of the lower heat, and the faster single-core performance. 

I don't know about music production, but Intel also has integrated graphics, which, unlike the FX-6300 or other AMD chips, allows your PC to be used without a GPU. Intel also tends to run cooler, so your parts may last longer.

The Motherboard, RAM, PSU and Case are from decent brands that are value-oriented (With the exception of the RAM which is pretty premium, but still at a low price point) but have all the features you need.
I left out an OS because you can use the key from the OS you currently have, and you can use the HDD as a mass storage drive.
I'd highly suggest a clean install simply because you're using all new components.
The SSD doesn't add to performance, but in content creation any program that uses large files will be able to access them much more quickly. The MX100 is a low-cost and quick drive, having been newly released.

In regards to the windows i dont have a key :/ 

Everything else sounds fantastic though! 

oh there are programs to extract the key from the OS! Google it!

In regards to the windows i dont have a key :/ 

Everything else sounds fantastic though! 

To add on, i got you a non-unlocked processor (non-K skew) because it saves you some money, and you won't be overclocking anyways (right?)

oh there are programs to extract the key from the OS! Google it!

To add on, i got you a non-unlocked processor (non-K skew) because it saves you some money, and you won't be overclocking anyways (right?)

I wouldnt be overclocking for a while, so this would do for at least a year or two :) 

I wouldnt be overclocking for a while, so this would do for at least a year or two :)

you can get windows key for £30 off ebay

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

you can get windows key for £30 off ebay

he can get it for free if he extracts it! 

(Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here, but it isn't illegal if he owns it, right?)

Another upgrade I'd suggest if you need it in the future is another HDD - Seagate Barracudas are really really cheap and they're reliable enough :)