What is the best free program for recording games?

Hey everyone, I am looking for a FREE recording program to record my games at 1920X1080 at up to 60 FPS that has the lowest fps drops. I currently use fraps and it drops my fps signifigantly when I record and it takes a TON of space. I know I can compress it later but if there is a recorder that dosn't drop your fps a ton and automatically compresses the video or something like that.

Thanks a ton for anything you guys can give me.

i5 - 3570k (at 4.0 GHz)

GTX 660 Ti

8GB 1600 MHz Ram

1TB HDD and 128GB SSD

I'd wait for Shadowplay.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'd wait for Shadowplay.

That probably won't be feasible since it will likely be a while before it launches.

Hey everyone, I am looking for a FREE recording program to record my games at 1920X1080 at up to 60 FPS that has the lowest fps drops. I currently use fraps and it drops my fps signifigantly when I record and it takes a TON of space. I know I can compress it later but if there is a recorder that dosn't drop your fps a ton and automatically compresses the video or something like that.

Thanks a ton for anything you guys can give me.

i5 - 3570k (at 4.0 GHz)

GTX 660 Ti

8GB 1600 MHz Ram

1TB HDD and 128GB SSD

razer game booster has really good built in screen recorder, just need to make a razer account and you can download it

I would suggest MSI Afterburner to record, but it makes uncompressed files (so they are very large). So this is probably not what you want. And as for frame drop, i use a 7870 and loose about 20% of FPS. Im not sure if that is any better than what you have though.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

You could use Open Broadcaster Software and use the "File Output Only" mode instead of Live mode. Produces fairly good quality and not too big files. Tons of options too.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

• 1 month later...

Try Action! recorder, it's the best one that I've  found so far. http://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5-3570K | 32GB G.SKILL 1600MHz | EVGA SSC GTX 1060 6GB  | Corsair CX-750W | NZXT Tempest 210 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

I would suggest using MSI Afterburner and recording to a sperate drive from the game/OS. It is fairly simple to set up and it can also serve as a GPU monitor. I don't see any frame drop on my 660ti PE with VSync turned on (60hz monitor, Tested on PlanetSide 2). I have tested recording at 30 fps-1080p and played for over an hour without any hiccups or crashes and going through multiple zones of high and low GPU demand.

Exception: Around very large groups of players (100+) and large bases my framerate drops to about 40-50, but that happens even when I am not recording.

When Shadowplay is released I would deffinately look into using that.

I would suggest MSI Afterburner to record, but it makes uncompressed files (so they are very large). So this is probably not what you want. And as for frame drop, i use a 7870 and loose about 20% of FPS. Im not sure if that is any better than what you have though.

It is possible to change the compression. Yes there is an uncompressed recording option, but there is also various built in compression codecs that record as .avi files.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

+1 for MSI Afterburner. I got older hw and it still was playable in BF3 while recording.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

+1 for both Open Broadcaster and MSI Afterburner. Also adding FFsplit to the list. All 3 allow for compressed recording with good quality and low file sizes.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2