My computer restarts on its own.

Rick03038

First off hi everyone,

I am the ultimate noob when it comes to computers and I have what some of you might think is a stupid question but I just don't know what is causing it. My computer was built for me 5 years ago for gaming. My original video card burnt out and I replaced it with an evga 660ti. Not long ago it began restarting after being on for about 30 minutes. I think it is ths power supply which is 600 watts. I plan on building my next computer but until then I want to get this one up running. Is there a way to test the power supply or should I just replace it and see if that takes care of the problem?

Also..... Since I am still in debate between an Intel and AMD decision, can I use the 660ti card with an AMD processor? I pretty sure I can but just need to ask.

Thanks everyone for your help and dealing with my stupid questions,

Rick

It is a ghost. Call a priest.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yeah you can use an AMD processor with an nvidia card. Try this: Start up the computer and immediately open a program that reads temps inside your case, and from the components. Maybe something is overheating and its causing it to shutoff?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

First off hi everyone,

I am the ultimate noob when it comes to computers and I have what some of you might think is a stupid question but I just don't know what is causing it. My computer was built for me 5 years ago for gaming. My original video card burnt out and I replaced it with an evga 660ti. Not long ago it began restarting after being on for about 30 minutes. I think it is ths power supply which is 600 watts. I plan on building my next computer but until then I want to get this one up running. Is there a way to test the power supply or should I just replace it and see if that takes care of the problem?

Also..... Since I am still in debate between an Intel and AMD decision, can I use the 660ti card with an AMD processor? I pretty sure I can but just need to ask.

Thanks everyone for your help and dealing with my stupid questions,

Rick

Replacing the PSU is probably your best idea, especially if the PSU is lower end/quality. It may not be a bad idea to do some tests like memory tests, but it's most likely the PSU.

As for AMD and Nvidia, it'll work perfectly. 

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

could you give us your pc specs ?

ram memory

cpu processor

mobo (mainboard)

psu powersuply

and yeah you can use 660ti with amd processor but i would suggest an i5 for gaming 4670k

Try something like Speccy or HWMonitor to check the temperatures of individual components, something might be overheating.

This for sure. A randomly restarting computer is usualy a sign of overheating

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its probably the power supply, but it could also be the CPU or video card got unseated from the cooler and is overheating. yes AMD does work with Nvidia. and for gaming go Intel, but if your on a tight budget go AMD.

Could you tell use Power Supply brand?

could you give us your pc specs ?

ram memory

cpu processor

mobo (mainboard)

psu powersuply

and yeah you can use 660ti with amd processor but i would suggest an i5 for gaming 4670k

Like I said it's an old system....

4 gig of ram

Intel Dual core 3 ghz

Asus ... I think it's a P5a

Windows Vista home Premium

Coolmax Power Supply

I know I burnt out the video card because of never blowing the dust out of it. When it died I pulled the card and blew out something larger than the usual dust bunny.... More like a dust pig....lol.

I'll have to hook it back up and I'll get the correct specs

Mobo - Asus P5E Intel X38 chipset Made on 1/24/2008

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3ghz

Ram - DDR2 4 gig Corsair PC2-6400 400 MHz

Video card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti

I forgot I had CPU - Z installed.

I am running speed fan. The cpu is currently running at 44 - 48C

GPU 37C

System 35C

Solid I run it until it fails?

ok your temps are fine

i am pointing at your PSU as the culprit

replace it ASAP

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

That's what I figured but I thought I would check with you all first. And when I rebuild I am thinking of picking up another 660 TI and using them in an SLI configuration with the i5 4670K. I'll probably need a bigger power supply for the SLI and a liquid cooler. I am planning to reuse my old case, one of my hard drives, put in a SSD and put on a new operating system. People are telling me to use Windows 7 64-bit professional rather than Windows 8. What is the general consensus on that? I really just want to play Battlefield 4 with no problems...lol.

Thank you again everyone before you have suggestions and help. It is very much appreciated!!

That's what I figured but I thought I would check with you all first. And when I rebuild I am thinking of picking up another 660 TI and using them in an SLI configuration with the i5 4670K. I'll probably need a bigger power supply for the SLI and a liquid cooler. I am planning to reuse my old case, one of my hard drives, put in a SSD and put on a new operating system. People are telling me to use Windows 7 64-bit professional rather than Windows 8. What is the general consensus on that? I really just want to play Battlefield 4 with no problems...lol.

Thank you again everyone before you have suggestions and help. It is very much appreciated!!

I'd suggest just getting a new (stronger GPU) and selling the 660Ti or keeping it and using it as a PhysX card or something.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I thought I couldn't use 2 different video cards at the same time. Can I use a 2 gig card and say a 3 or 4 gig card at once as long as they are not connected in SLI? I would love to set up surround gaming monitors.

I thought I couldn't use 2 different video cards at the same time. Can I use a 2 gig card and say a 3 or 4 gig card at once as long as they are not connected in SLI? I would love to set up surround gaming monitors.

yes you can run two different gpu as separate gpu as long they are not in SLi

surround gaming will still need a lot of GPU power thou

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes you can run two different gpu as separate gpu as long they are not in SLi

surround gaming will still need a lot of GPU power thou

Thank you a Dragoon, I never knew that. Still sounds line I need a couple of heavy duty cards.

What's the temps on load? Does it restart regardless of if you are doing anything on it or not?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications