Picking new phone

Just recently I decided to get G2 over Nexus 5 as my coworker just got his Nexus 5 and the Battery life is abysmal.

So after this recent decision to get the G2, I just looked at the offers of the Carrier I am moving to and I could acquire LG G3 for the same price, but the 16GB model, but G3 has SD slot as opposed to G2 32GB so that's not a big deal

After looking at the reviews of both phones on Linuses channel I am stuck since I would have preferred Luke to review this phone, like he did with G2.

Has any of you upgraded from G2 to G3? What's your opinion?

btw: Both phones cost around 340 Euros.

So if you can recommend a phone that's good and maybe even cheaper I welcome those suggestions too.

What I am looking for in a Mobile:
A phone that I can use for about 3-4 years. I really dislike changing phones. So it will not slow down so much that I need to wait long seconds to do trivial tasks with it.
Good Battery Life
"Retina" Display ( so 1080p for 5 inch. )
Good price
Smooth stuff software wise. As In fuck sluggish Movement when sliding and shit like that.

EDIT: MAx PRice 350 euros.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Edited by Kameegaming

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

HTC one M8 is also great. It checks all of your reasons afaik.

LG G3 trumps it in terms of hardware, 1440p, and 3gb of ram. But otherwise, they are similar, and the HTC one M8 has an amazing battery life, for myself atleast. And even on lowest brightness, it is still easy to read and see, due to its special kind of panel

Diamond 5 in League :)

What I am looking for in a Mobile:

A phone that I can use for about 3-4 years. I really dislike changing phones. So it will not slow down so much that I need to wait long seconds to do trivial tasks with it.

Good Battery Life

"Retina" Display ( so 1080p for 5 inch. )

Good price

Smooth stuff software wise. As In fuck sluggish Movement when sliding and shit like that.

Thank you everyone in advance.

G2 to G3 isn't that much of an upgrade. Its S800 to S801 but if anything you'd notice a performance decrease due to the higher demand of 1440p (just as it is on PCs). 

My vote also goes to the HTC One M8. You can also buy invites to get the OnePlus One, which sounds dumb to a lot of people but even if you buy it for a hundred bucks it only adds up to 450 for the phone which is still not bad for a phone like that. 

"Rawr XD"

If you want to use the phone for that long, I'd probably go with the LG G3 because of its removable battery.

Batteries degrade. It's a simple fact of life. Having the ability to simply order another one and swap it out seems well worth the money.

The G3 does decently in the battery life department as well.

The Nexus 5 isn't that bad when it comes to battery life; mine easily lasts me a day with 4 hours of on screen time.

I also love the speed of updates. That alone will likely have me forever rocking a Nexus device.

If you can, it might be worth waiting for a phone with a Snapdragon 805. They'll have the Adreno 420 GPU, which will last you longer than the Adreno 330 in the 801.

If you don't play a lot of games then it doesn't really matter much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Note 3 or Note 4(when it comes out) if you can adjust to the big screen.

Out of price range

LG G3 trumps it in terms of hardware, 1440p, and 3gb of ram. But otherwise, they are similar, and the HTC one M8 has an amazing battery life, for myself atleast. And even on lowest brightness, it is still easy to read and see, due to its special kind of panel

Out of price range

G2 to G3 isn't that much of an upgrade. Its S800 to S801 but if anything you'd notice a performance decrease due to the higher demand of 1440p (just as it is on PCs). 

My vote also goes to the HTC One M8. You can also buy invites to get the OnePlus One, which sounds dumb to a lot of people but even if you buy it for a hundred bucks it only adds up to 450 for the phone which is still not bad for a phone like that. 

Out of price range, One Plus only in price range if I get an Invite for free. which might be a good option as I am not in a hurry or anything

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

If you want to use the phone for that long, I'd probably go with the LG G3 because of its removable battery.

Batteries degrade. It's a simple fact of life. Having the ability to simply order another one and swap it out seems well worth the money.

The G3 does decently in the battery life department as well.

The Nexus 5 isn't that bad when it comes to battery life; mine easily lasts me a day with 4 hours of on screen time.

I also love the speed of updates. That alone will likely have me forever rocking a Nexus device.

If you can, it might be worth waiting for a phone with a Snapdragon 805. They'll have the Adreno 420 GPU, which will last you longer than the Adreno 330 in the 801.

If you don't play a lot of games then it doesn't really matter much.

As I sai my colleague just got a nexus 5 we watched 2 youtube videos on it and He had to start charging his phone on the way home from work. That's like abysmal for me.

I want to be able to watch some videos without having to charge it the same day. Only in the evening.

One Plus only in price range if I get an Invite for free. which might be a good option as I am not in a hurry or anything

lol we weren't provided with a price range.. but if you can strive for an invite then do that. Otherwise the G2 is still a solid phone.

"Rawr XD"

As I sai my colleague just got a nexus 5 we watched 2 youtube videos on it and He had to start charging his phone on the way home from work. That's like abysmal for me.

I want to be able to watch some videos without having to charge it the same day. Only in the evening.

He must have something draining the battery then, because I definitely do not have that problem.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i also have the one m8 and love it,  however i dont think resolution is that big of a deal on phones anymore. at 1080p i cant get my eye close enough to the screen to see a pixel without my eye losing focus.  and its rated at 441 ppi.   

a solution to not liking the difference between phones is potentially rooting your phone and getting a custom rom for it.  i prefer cyanogenmod (there are even themes for it that are easily changeable and leave all settings the same and do not require a reflash)  then whenever you need a new phone, after you get everything set up on it, the phone will at least have the same ui as your last one.  

lol we weren't provided with a price range.. but if you can strive for an invite then do that. Otherwise the G2 is still a solid phone.

"So if you can recommend a phone that's good and maybe even cheaper I welcome those suggestions too."

I don't see how that is not clear of an indicator that I don't want 650 Dollar phones.

i also have the one m8 and love it,  however i dont think resolution is that big of a deal on phones anymore. at 1080p i cant get my eye close enough to the screen to see a pixel without my eye losing focus.  and its rated at 441 ppi.   

a solution to not liking the difference between phones is potentially rooting your phone and getting a custom rom for it.  i prefer cyanogenmod (there are even themes for it that are easily changeable and leave all settings the same and do not require a reflash)  then whenever you need a new phone, after you get everything set up on it, the phone will at least have the same ui as your last one.  

This is what I am interested in, is it possible to put a custom rom on g3 that's gonna run at 1080p, therefore it shouldn't be that taxing on the hardware and the difference in res isn't seeable anyways.

This is what I am interested in, is it possible to put a custom rom on g3 that's gonna run at 1080p, therefore it shouldn't be that taxing on the hardware and the difference in res isn't seeable anyways.

No, you can't change native resolution in Android, only DPI, but everything will still be rendered at 1440p

"Rawr XD"

my nexus 5 can last me over 36 hrs use with about 3-4 sot on light usage, so it can easily put me through the day even with heavy use, unless i'm like playing games constantly.

even with 2hrs + music playback on poweramp, texting, calls, checking mail, using chrome etc, i can end the day with 50% battery or more.

if your friend's nexus is getting about 4 hrs sot on stock, something is draining his battery.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

my nexus 5 can last me over 36 hrs use with about 3-4 sot on light usage, so it can easily put me through the day even with heavy use, unless i'm like playing games constantly.

even with 2hrs + music playback on poweramp, texting, calls, checking mail, using chrome etc, i can end the day with 50% battery or more.

if your friend's nexus is getting about 4 hrs sot on stock, something is draining his battery.

As a Nexus 5 owner myself I can attest to this. Unless you have something draining the battery or you happen to be a true power user you can easily make the battery last 10 hours or more with about 5 hours of screen on time unless I'm gaming. 

I also find the benefits of no bloatware and the absolute latest software outweigh any minor downsides the device has. Both the G2 and the Nexus 5 are great phones and because of the recent price drop on the G2 to basically match the Nexus 5, the G2 happens to be in short supply. If you can get the G2 then go for it, otherwise don't feel bad about getting a Nexus.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

As a Nexus 5 owner myself I can attest to this. Unless you have something draining the battery or you happen to be a true power user you can easily make the battery last 10 hours or more with about 5 hours of screen on time unless I'm gaming. 

I also find the benefits of no bloatware and the absolute latest software outweigh any minor downsides the device has. Both the G2 and the Nexus 5 are great phones and because of the recent price drop on the G2 to basically match the Nexus 5, the G2 happens to be in short supply. If you can get the G2 then go for it, otherwise don't feel bad about getting a Nexus.

Actually in my country G2 is cheaper than Nexus5 and while I like nexus 5's design more, The rear buttons instead of the dreadful side buttons is the main reason I want a G2 over Nexus 5