Samsung SSD Raid 0 "performance"...

VIzMAN

Hi all.

I recently decided to take the plunge and did a Raid 0 with two Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD's and I have to say, I'm not really impressed by the proformence as It seems (to me at least) that it is taking LONGER to boot up than it did with my single 120GB SSD on its own.

Is it just me not being realistic with the performance increase that I expected, or do you think that its something that I did when setting up the Raid?

Just for clarification, i'm not using a Raid card, both the SSD's are plugged into a Sata 3 port on the mobo (on the same controller), I'm using an ASRock Z77 Pro 4, 3570k etc, If i have missed any important info just let me know and I'll do my best to tell you. 

VIz

CPU: i5 3570K 4GHz - GPU: EVGA GTX 670 Signature 2 - Storage: 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB in Raid 0, 1TB WD Green, 1TB WD Black, 64GB OCZ SSD - Mobo: ASRock Pro 4 - Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212EVO - Case: Corsair 450D

Well for me it takes longer to boot up, by the nature that the RAID screen is shown on boot up. With 2x 480GB Sandisk Extreme IIs in my system, I notice a subtle performance increase of 800MB/s in real world tests, and 1.1GB/s in benchmarks. In day to day use the difference is unnoticeable, but I do do huge amounts of file copying between SSDs so I'm glad I have it. 

But the performance aspect is often overstated, I wouldn't say its worth it. 

Well for me it takes longer to boot up, by the nature that the RAID screen is shown on boot up. With 2x 480GB Sandisk Extreme IIs in my system, I notice a subtle performance increase of 800MB/s in real world tests, and 1.1GB/s in benchmarks. In day to day use the difference is unnoticeable, but I do do huge amounts of file copying between SSDs so I'm glad I have it. 

It might just be me thinking it takes longer because of the Raid screen (What shows up then the Bios boot then the Raid again for some reason) I suppose, and it probably is that, but the actual windows loading seems a bit slower, but again that might just be me expecting more that I would actually get.

CPU: i5 3570K 4GHz - GPU: EVGA GTX 670 Signature 2 - Storage: 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB in Raid 0, 1TB WD Green, 1TB WD Black, 64GB OCZ SSD - Mobo: ASRock Pro 4 - Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212EVO - Case: Corsair 450D

You opened my eyes, thanks!

RAID 0 SSDs doesn't really do anything except for huge file transfers.

I do do quite a bit of file transfers which is why I decided to go down that route, but I was expecting a little better performance on boot up times too....