[FB] MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition - a black and white motherboard

ocCuS

121a.jpg

So here is the white motherboard that people have asked a while now.

Its based on the standard blue version but there are a few tweaks to offset that increase in price.

New stuff

• Its got white highlights instead of blue
  • All sata 3 and sata express slots are now right angled instead of just upwards which is horrid for cable routing and just existence overall.
  • The board is more efficient(no explaining as to how) so the power phase heatsinks are slightly smaller, not sure if this is a good thing, also the power phases have been moved around as a result of the smaller heatsinks.
  • Japanese caps instead of standard caps, the caps are also black instead of silver as with the previous version of this board
  • Three pci-e 1x slots instead of two lanes
  • proper black pcb

Odd stuff

• Voltage control points are non existent with the white version
  • Lost support for 3 way sli and crossfire, now limited to only two cards
  • Standard board had 6 usb 3.0 ports at the back, this now has 4 very odd, there is a lone hdmi port which could use a friend or two

For reference is the standard board

z97s-plus-sli-2-1280x1024.jpg

Im not 100% sure about this board, its got some nice improvements and then some crap that you just facepalm about wondering what on earth they were thinking, i didnt think that anything needed to be taken away, maybe its for price but im not very experienced in that sector so i wouldnt know.

So then what are you opinions on this board, do you like it or are you sad.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#hero-specification

http://www.techpowerup.com/205594/msi-z97s-sli-krait-edition-motherboard-starts-selling.html

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z97S_SLI_PLUS.html#hero-overview 

No words on price im expecting a £10 increase in the price.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Oh baby that board is damn sexy! Would look great in a Corsair 760T White!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

121a.jpg

So here is the white motherboard that people have asked a while now.

Its based on the standard blue version but there are a few tweaks to offset that increase in price.

New stuff

• Its got white highlights instead of blue
  • All sata 3 and sata express slots are now right angled instead of just upwards which is horrid for cable routing and just existence overall.
  • The board is more efficient(no explaining as to how) so the power phase heatsinks are slightly smaller, not sure if this is a good thing, also the power phases have been moved around as a result of the smaller heatsinks.
  • Japanese caps instead of standard caps, the caps are also black instead of silver as with the previous version of this board
  • Three pci-e 1x slots instead of two lanes

Odd stuff

• Voltage control points are non existent with the white version
  • Lost support for 3 way sli and crossfire, now limited to only two cards
  • Standard board had 6 usb 3.0 ports at the back, this now has 4 very odd, there is a lone hdmi port which could use a friend or two

For reference is the standard board

z97s-plus-sli-2-1280x1024.jpg

Im not 100% sure about this board, its got some nice improvements and then some crap that you just facepalm about wondering what on earth they were thinking, i didnt think that anything needed to be taken away, maybe its for price but im not very experienced in that sector so i wouldnt know.

So then what are you opinions on this board, do you like it or are you sad.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#hero-specification

http://www.techpowerup.com/205594/msi-z97s-sli-krait-edition-motherboard-starts-selling.html

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z97S_SLI_PLUS.html#hero-overview 

No words on price im expecting a £10 increase in the price.

DAYUM or in a phanteks enthoo luxe 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

MSI seems too make the best looking mobos these days.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

edit your post and delete the pictures please, people on phones will go insane.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Why oh why did they place the USB 3.0 header facing up again?   :(

costs more to make it sideways

Listen if you care.

Why do mobo makers still put 24-pin headers vertically? EVGA is the only one putting them horizontal. I want all the airflow!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why do mobo makers still put 24-pin headers vertically? EVGA is the only one putting them horizontal. I want all the airflow!

Cost effectiveness is a big reason as to why USB 3 internal headers are placed vertically.

It's just cheaper to put a vertical connector on the board rather than a horizontal connector.

Cost effectiveness is a big reason as to why USB 3 internal headers are placed vertically.

It's just cheaper to put a vertical connector on the board rather than a horizontal connector.

It doesn't help each usb 3.0 header costs $2.50 in royalties to the manufacturer.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Krait edition? does it come with a snapdragon?

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Krait edition? does it come with a snapdragon?

notice the mark of the titan, reading sli. Due to relationship issues titans and dragons no longer go well to together, watch the archive with slick and his brother if you dont understand.

Listen if you care.

That's one fiine looking board.

Don't quote the OP! :(

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

That's one fiine looking board.

Don't quote the OP! :(

its fine to quote the post but  you have to remove pictures unless you are commenting about a picture alone

Listen if you care.

At least now you can reach the lock to unplug it

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Speaking of motherboards whatever happened to that one that Asus showed off at Computex?

This board is really pretty.

A better question is why are USB 3.0 internal wires and connectors so massive and so stiff? USB 2.0 facing up isn't an issue since the connector and cabling isn't bullshit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

A better question is why are USB 3.0 internal wires and connectors so massive and so stiff? USB 2.0 facing up isn't an issue since the connector and cabling isn't bullshit. 

Like Like Like Like Like.

I haven't connected my front panel USB 3.0 for that exact reason. Fuck those cables. Corsair had a good thing going with their flat USB3.0 cables in one of their recent cases (250D?), but they didn't keep it for the 380T/780T iirc.

Like Like Like Like Like.

I haven't connected my front panel USB 3.0 for that exact reason. Fuck those cables. Corsair had a good thing going with their flat USB3.0 cables in one of their recent cases (250D?), but they didn't keep it for the 380T/780T iirc.

Flat cables are worse imo....I have an H440 (with long flat cables) and I have to route the USB 3.0 wire across the motherboard tray (toward the rear of the case) and then back  to the drive cage area (and actually through the drive cage area since I couldn't get it to go through the grommet into the 90 degree connector. Long flat cables suck to route....What I don't understand is why the cable has to be so stiff....Why not use the same type of cable that external USB 3.0 devices use...that at least is manageable. Which also raises the question....why does the internal header have to be so much larger and more cumbersome than the external connector :/ 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Stick a couple of Galaxy HOF edition GPU's on there and you have the greatest looking Mobo/GPU combo in the universe! So sick!