r9 280x (anycard) VS GTX 770 (anycard)

tomparr44

i need help picking between these cards, i will mostly be gaming and maybe CAD work?

770 but your better off getting a 290 at that price point 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

770 but your better off getting a 290 at that price point 

which non reference cards would i be looking at if my budget is £250

which non reference cards would i be looking at if my budget is £250

for the 770 or 290? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Sapphire 290 tri x 
Sapphire 280x tri x
Evga gtx 770 ACX 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

the 280x is slightly faster than the 770 and cheaper, you should get that. Get the sapphire tri-x or vapor-x

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sapphire 290 tri x 

Sapphire 280x tri x

Evga gtx 770 ACX 

is the windforce 290 better or worse the the tri-x?

This is one of the most asked questions around here... 280X vs 770...

Anyway i recommend the one that is cheaper to you at the moment... But you have to considerate brands too, so for AMD R9 280X i recommend Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X cooling solutions. Stay away from ASUS DirectCU II Top edition... For the Nvidia GTX 770 option i would choose EVGA with ACX the cooler.

Keep this in mind too: R9 280X has 3gb of VRAM while GTX 770 has 2gb, there are 4gb versions but they are significantly more expensive. The 3gb of the 280X might give some head room to heavy games.

I have an ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II Top, i had lot's of artifacting problems, but now it's solved because i have RMA the card and got a new one it's working fine but the fear of seeing an artifact is still present and somewhat spoils my gameplay... But there are a lot of people that the RMA didn't solved the problem.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

is the windforce 290 better or worse the the tri-x?

Worse. 

Windforce can get pretty loud and it's originally been designed for gtx 780 so the heatpipes don't make really good contact (just like Asus 290 (x)).

Also, I prefer the Sapphire look and owning one I can tell it runs pretty cool and I can't hear it.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

You'll struggle to find a 290 for £250. Best you could do is buy the PCS+ 290 from OCUK for £305; it comes with a pretty good 8gb kit of RAM which you could then flog for like £45 to recoup some of your costs.

This is one of the most asked questions around here... 280X vs 770...

Anyway i recommend the one that is cheaper to you at the moment... But you have to considerate brands too, so for AMD R9 280X i recommend Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X cooling solutions. Stay away from ASUS DirectCU II Top edition... For the Nvidia GTX 770 option i would choose EVGA with ACX the cooler.

Keep this in mind too: R9 280X has 3gb of VRAM while GTX 770 has 2gb, there are 4gb versions but they are significantly more expensive. The 3gb of the 280X might give some head room to heavy games.

I have an ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II Top, i had lot's of artifacting problems, but now it's solved because i have RMA the card and got a new one it's working fine but the fear of seeing an artifact is still present and somewhat spoils my gameplay... But there are a lot of people that the RMA didn't solved the problem.

if i get a 290 what version of it should i get?

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X.

You'll be amazed.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X.

You'll be amazed.

Agreed !

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.