Corsair H100i High Temps!

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Thank you! I will try that.

you're welcome!

Here are some examples of what people have done to theirs:

post-4438-0-89479600-1407875106_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-89514100-1407875141_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-36213800-1407875163.jpg

I just recently built a computer and i wanted to make sure my rig was stable. I got real temp and prime95 and started testing. At idle with the i7 4790k and the corsair h100i i was averaging 32c. Thats kind of high for idle but it didnt worry me. Then i started prime95 small fft and wow did the temps rise. They went to 100c. I know small fft is max stress for haswell chips but it scared me. Then i tried large fft and the temps were at 88c average. Im using the corsair h100i in a pull exhast because i couldnt do push exhast due to my heatsink on my motherboard in the NZXT Phantom 530. This will prevent dust in my radiator at least. Corsair link is totally not working for me to control the fans. Im running the corsair sp120 quiet edition fans powered by the corsair h100i. My motherboard is the asrock z97 extreme4. I heard that its doesnt work well with my motherboard. Also, the corsair sp120 quiet fans arent pushing much air out of the case which worries me. Worse case i will just buy some new thermal paste and reinstall it. Im using the stock thermal paste for now. And I might try replace the sp120 quiet fans with the stock fans to see if that improves anything. Sorry for this being so long and please help.

I just recently built a computer and i wanted to make sure my rig was stable. I got real temp and prime95 and started testing. At idle with the i7 4790k and the corsair h100i i was averaging 32c. Thats kind of high for idle but it didnt worry me. Then i started prime95 small fft and wow did the temps rise. They went to 100c. I know small fft is max stress for haswell chips but it scared me. Then i tried large fft and the temps were at 88c average. Im using the corsair h100i in a pull exhast because i couldnt do push exhast due to my heatsink on my motherboard in the NZXT Phantom 530. This will prevent dust in my radiator at least. Corsair link is totally not working for me to control the fans. Im running the corsair sp120 quiet edition fans powered by the corsair h100i. My motherboard is the asrock z97 extreme4. I heard that its doesnt work well with my motherboard. Also, the corsair sp120 quiet fans arent pushing much air out of the case which worries me. Worse case i will just buy some new thermal paste and reinstall it. Im using the stock thermal paste for now. And I might try replace the sp120 quiet fans with the stock fans to see if that improves anything. Sorry for this being so long and please help.

Check whether the backplate is properly fitted. Reseat the CPU block and reapply thermal paste.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

^^^^^^ Follow that and if it doesn't work, then there might be some issue with the pump, i suggest get a new water cooler or RMA it.

did you remove the plastic that comes on the waterblock?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Replace the thermal paste with some MX4.

Also remount your CPU block with small washers behind the motherboard, sometimes the backplate is loose even though the screws are all the way in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

^^^^^^ Follow that and if it doesn't work, then there might be some issue with the pump, i suggest get a new water cooler or RMA it.

The pump is working. I checked the bios to see if it was dead but its working. Also, i can feel it vibrating in the tubes.

Replace the thermal paste with some MX4.

Also remount your CPU block with small washers behind the motherboard, sometimes the backplate is loose even though the screws are all the way in.

did you remove the plastic that comes on the waterblock?

Obviously i took off the cover and it comes with decent quality thermal paste.

Worse case i will do that

The 32C at idle is identical to my idle temps with the i5-4670k, so I don't think you need to worry about the idle temps.

As for the other temps your best bet may just be re-mounting it and make sure you use the washers.

Git Gud.

The 32C at idle is identical to my idle temps with the i5-4670k, so I don't think you need to worry about the idle temps.

As for the other temps your best bet may just be re-mounting it and make sure you use the washers.

Use washers where?

Backplate or Radiator?

you're welcome!

Here are some examples of what people have done to theirs:

post-4438-0-89479600-1407875106_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-89514100-1407875141_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-36213800-1407875163.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Use washers where?

Backplate or Radiator?

The backplate, since that's where it will affect the cooler contact with the CPU. A common cause of those high temps can be poor CPU to Heatsink contact, and the H100i needs those backplate washers to make good contact.

Git Gud.