Is it worth it?

So I'm switching to a smaller chassis and then water cooling.

So in just wondering, is water cooling worth the maintenance and cost?

I mean, for a loop for CPU and GPU, 500$ish. Is it really worth all that money?

I figured this was the best place to post this.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

No. Watercool only if you already have a maxed out rig that you can't put any more money into, or you want to watercool for aesthetics.

Otherwise you can spend that money on better hardware that will perform better and put out less heat.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No. Watercool only if you already have a maxed out rig that you can't put any more money into, or you want to watercool for aesthetics.

Otherwise you can spend that money on better hardware that will perform better and put out less heat.

My hardware is pretty good. I have a 4770k and a 780.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

We have a section for water-cooling. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it. Why? Well, I'm clumsy and paranoid so, I'd rather not have to deal with risking leaks or doing things wrong and frying a system. For a project? Hell yeah, I'd try it, but if it's my one and only system and since I'm pretty much broke, I'd stay away from water-cooling for now. 

You, on the other hand, aren't me, So, it's up to you.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Mhmmm

Don't listen to the people above. There is no right answer. It's personal. In your case I would say go for it because it is a fun project. But that is my personal opinion.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Mhmmm

Don't listen to the people above. There is no right answer. It's personal. In your case I would say go for it because it is a fun project. But that is my personal opinion.

Wait wtf just happened? I didn't quote myself...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yeah but you can still improve it a lot. By 'maxed out' I mean someone with quad sli gtx titans and a 4960x

watercooling is basically no performance improvement, but 10000x aesthetic improvement.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Mhmmm

Well I need to know so I can decide which case to buy. I'm running a 720p tv for a monitor. So that's first priority. Then when my family finishes the basement I need a new desk. If I was going to do watercoing it would be a ways down the line. The most urgent matter ATM is laptop for school.

Water cooling is practically never worth it.

It's worth it if you're trying to make your PC a work of art rather than just a box that gets high fps.

LP-Gallery-4.jpg

Spoiler

Well I need to know so I can decide which case to buy. I'm running a 720p tv for a monitor. So that's first priority. Then when my family finishes the basement I need a new desk. If I was going to do watercoing it would be a ways down the line. The most urgent matter ATM is laptop for school.

There is no right answer. If you want water cooling and you have a 780 or higher I would go for it.

Yeah but you can still improve it a lot. By 'maxed out' I mean someone with quad sli gtx titans and a 4960x

watercooling is basically no performance improvement, but 10000x aesthetic improvement.

My case has no window. I'm just trying to decide whether to buy a case with good water cooling support or a case unlike the aesthetics of but doesn't have the best radiator support.

Who the hell cares? You can water cool a G3258 and 760. Who cares? Don't tell OP to not watercool  because he should upgrade. Give solid opinions. Such as well OP how much money would you have to spend on this? Do you really want it/need it?

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

My case has no window. I'm just trying to decide whether to buy a case with good water cooling support or a case unlike the aesthetics of but doesn't have the best radiator support.

If you have no window there is no reason to care about watercooling...don't bother even considering it. Maybe consider space for a 240 or 280mm AiO but definitely not a whole custom loop.

Spoiler

get a H220x, then add stuff to it over time

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Who the hell cares? You can water cool a G3258 and 760. Who cares? Don't tell OP to not watercool  because he should upgrade. Give solid opinions. Such as well OP how much money would you have to spend on this? Do you really want it/need it?

There are only 3 reasons to watercool a PC.

1) You have enough money to do it because there is nothing else you can upgrade in your PC to give more performance.

2) You want to go for competitive overclocking under water (even though you should be using phase change or LN2 for this)

3) You care about the aesthetics and want to enjoy building a custom project.

Spoiler

Save up for another 780, it would be much more cost effective. Then look into a custom loop. For now, just get the largest air cooler you can and overclock your CPU to its limits.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

There are only 3 reasons to watercool a PC.

1) You have enough money to do it because there is nothing else you can upgrade in your PC to give more performance.

2) You want to go for competitive overclocking under water (even though you should be using phase change or LN2 for this)

3) You care about the aesthetics and want to enjoy building a custom project.

There are alot of mid tier systems with 4770k and a single 770/780 tha tare watercooled, with that money they could have bought a second GPU. Its a balance of all of those and what the owner thinks they need performance wise, not necessarily quad GPUs

There are alot of mid tier systems with 4770k and a single 770/780 tha tare watercooled, with that money they could have bought a second GPU. Its a balance of all of those and what the owner thinks they need performance wise, not necessarily quad GPUs

Which doesn't make sense when you can have more performance for gaming.

Maybe they wanted to overclock a lot and have good temps, maybe they wanted low noise, or liked the aesthetics of a watercooling loop.

Spoiler

Which doesn't make sense when you can have more performance for gaming.

Maybe they wanted to overclock a lot and have good temps, maybe they wanted low noise, or liked the aesthetics of a watercooling loop.

It's pretty much exactly that. You dont have to have maxed out hardware for it to be worthwhile.

I forgot to mention that I'll be investing in GTX 880's.

I forgot to mention that I'll be investing in GTX 880's.

If you plan on chaining hardware, I wouldn't recommend water cooling till you have what you want.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

If you plan on chaining hardware, I wouldn't recommend water cooling till you have what you want.

What do you mean by chaining.

What do you mean by chaining.

You said you plan on getting the 800 series GPU. If you do that you would need to redo part of the loop.

Edit: just realized it was a typo, meant to say changing. Stupid Swype

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

You said you plan on getting the 800 series GPU. If you do that you would need to redo part of the loop.

Edit: just realized it was a typo, meant to say changing. Stupid Swype

Yeah. My whole upgrade schedule is based on water cooling. Because if I decide I want to water cool I need to get a good water cooling case. Then if I have the money to spend. I need a laptop for school as well. So I wouldn't be able to buy parts anyways for the next 5 months or so.