Keyboard power generator?

Nineshadow

You probably shouldn't invest in a keyboard-based generator any time soon.

People like figuring out places where we can recover "wasted" energy. Avoiding waste is a great goal, but sometimes it's hard to judge how much energy is actually moving around in a particular system. Cool-sounding ideas like the recent "

" campaign don't always work out when yourun the numbers. On the other hand, some clever ideas for collecting waste—like recovering the energy from doors opening or cars braking—turn out to be totally practical.

idea.png

In the case of keyboards, there's a lot of engineering research into the force required to press keys, in part because so many people suffer from repetitive strain injuries. Using data from a study of rubber-dome keyboards—the most common type these days—we can estimate that the energy required to press a key is around 1.5 millijoules for a letter key and 2.5 for a big key like the enter key or spacebar.

How much is 1.5 millijoules? Well, it's enough to heat a drop of water by 1% of a degree. It's also enough to lift a squirrel 300 microns—all the way from the ground to the top of a stack of four sheets of paper!

squirrel.png

Now that we know how much energy a keypress takes, we need to figure out how many keypresses are involved in writing a novel.

A typical novel might have half a million to a million characters in it,[1] so typing it out would require at least that many keypresses. The amount of backspacing and rewriting varies wildly from person to person. Some people write straight through without pausing, while others rewrite every sentence endlessly.

It turns out not to make a big difference which kind of writer you are. If you write straight through without editing, you'd expend about a kilojoule. With a lot of rewrites, you might expend several kilojoules—but you'd need to rewrite every word 10 times to match the energy stored in a single AA battery.

Writing one full novel would provide enough energy to run a laptop for a total of about 15 seconds. If each novel takes you six months, you'd spend one second out of every million running off keyboard power. This would save a fraction of a penny of electricity.

Now, a few novels every six months seems like a lot of typing, but plenty of people type more. The site WhatPulse offers tools to track mouse clicks and keystrokes, and hosts a community of users who post their statistics online and compete with each other to accumulate the highest total.

olympics.png

WhatPulse been running for more than a decade, and its oldest and the most active users have logged over 100 million keypresses. A heavy WhatPulse user types the equivalent of one novel every two months, and some of them manage one novel every few weeks.

However, that's still not fast enough to represent a lot of energy. To keep a laptop running from keypress power alone, you'd need to write a novel every tenseconds. To run a microwave would require one novel per second.[2]

fast.png

No matter how fast you type, writing isn't exercise.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just came across this article and wanted to share it with you guys. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well that is interesting to know. I would have liked to see how anyone would actually have tried to convert the small downward motion of the key into energy though. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

k

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Well that is interesting to know. I would have liked to see how anyone would actually have tried to convert the small downward motion of the key into energy though. 

And this article explains why that wouldn't be practical :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Cool. So I do need to get some actual exercise then :(

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Oh yes, you know we love those carpal tunnels.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Please use quotes and post a link to the article, don't try to make it as if it was written by you

Please use quotes and post a link to the article, don't try to make it as if it was written by you

I said it was an article("I just came across this article and wanted to share it with you")...and I embeded the link in the "article" word.

What's the problem?

And this article explains why that wouldn't be practical :D

well I did read, but it didn't mention how anyone would even plan on getting "around 1.5 millijoules" I get you can do some calculations for the force required and then energy required for that force, but there is no prefect collection system and so I would predict there would be even less energy than what they stated. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

well I did read, but it didn't mention how anyone would even plan on getting "around 1.5 millijoules" I get you can do some calculations for the force required and then energy required for that force, but there is no prefect collection system and so I would predict there would be even less energy than what they stated. 

Yep.That's right.

I said it was an article("I just came across this article and wanted to share it with you")...and I embeded the link in the "article" word.

What's the problem?

Ah, my apologies, I was on my phone and did not see that link :)