A sub $500 phone in Australia that doesn't suck?

So, next month I'll be having my birthday and (in theory) I'll be able to afford to buy a new phone to replace my current Nokia Lumia 610. I've narrowed it down to a couple of phones, but I was wondering what you guys thought.

I am Australian. The One Plus One is not an option. Do not suggest it.

• Nexus 5 ($449 for a 32 GB) - This is my main contender, my issue with it being the fact that it's going to probably be replaced soon
  • Sony Xperia Z ($370 or so for 16 GB) - I saw this at a store and the price doesn't seem too bad, but the phone is fairly old so I'm not sure it's any good at the moment
  • HTC One M7 (I've seen it for $500 at a store, but the site sucks so I can't check) - Again, I've seen this at a store, and I'm a big fan of it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $49 compared to the Nexus

I don't need the best camera in the world, just good enough for Facebook and twitter, however a nice battery would be nice. Thanks in advanced.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

G2, if you don't mind installing a custom rom.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The Sony has a pretty bad screen,  I would get the Nexus, it doesn't matter if a refresh of the phone is coming out it will still meet your needs and last a while.

Why don't you want the oneplusone?

hellooooooooo

The Sony has a pretty bad screen,  I would get the Nexus, it doesn't matter if a refresh of the phone is coming out it will still meet your needs and last a while.

Why don't you want the oneplusone?

A pain in the arse to get. I need to get an invite and then get a reliable way to get it to Australia since they don't ship to here. If they did It would probably be what I'd be getting. As for the Sony screen, I saw a review and yes it does, which is a shame. 

G2, if you don't mind installing a custom rom.

I'll look into it.

Buy a 4s there pretty good

I've used one, it's a nice phone but I'm not a fan of IOS

What about the HTC One Mini 2?

I'll add that to the list as well. I'll look at it compared to the M7.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I'll add that to the list as well. I'll look at it compared to the M7.

Mini phones are massive scams. m7 is better.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Mini phones are massive scams. m7 is better.

Looked into it, and it seems that way. Esspecially for the price compared to the M7.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

probs go with HTC One M7. IMO It is a nice looking phone.

but if you can stretch it. you can get a HTC One M8/GS5. They can be found for $599.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

probs go with HTC One M7. IMO It is a nice looking phone.

but if you can stretch it. you can get a HTC One M8/GS5. They can be found for $599.

Where abouts have you found the M8 for $599? I may not pick it up due to the size, but that's a damn good deal.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Where abouts have you found the M8 for $599? I may not pick it up due to the size, but that's a damn good deal.

on Kogan mate. I got my GS4 from there and it consistently has great prices on phone and tablets.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

on Kogan mate. I got my GS4 from there and it consistently has great prices on phone and tablets.

Those are some pretty damn awesome prices. Wish they had the M7 in something other then red.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

What? You can save more if you just type in the promo code + its free shipping for a while. https://yatango.com.au/shopping/oneplus-one-16gb.html

A pain in the arse to get. I need to get an invite and then get a reliable way to get it to Australia since they don't ship to here. If they did It would probably be what I'd be getting. As for the Sony screen, I saw a review and yes it does, which is a shame. 

hellooooooooo

What? You can save more if you just type in the promo code + its free shipping for a while. https://yatango.com.au/shopping/oneplus-one-16gb.html

I have never actually used that site. I've looked at them before they re branded every time I've upgraded phones but never actually got anything from them. And what is this coupon code, I can't seem to find it.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have never actually used that site. I've looked at them before they re branded every time I've upgraded phones but never actually got anything from them. And what is this coupon code, I can't seem to find it.

You do it when you checkout, it's a $7 discount anyway.

http://www.ozcoupons.com/ I use this website everytime I buy something online to save a bit of money lol.

hellooooooooo

You do it when you checkout, it's a $7 discount anyway.

http://www.ozcoupons.com/ I use this website everytime I buy something online to save a bit of money lol.

Right. Interestingly they seem to sell a white 64 Gig One Plus One...

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Right. Interestingly they seem to sell a white 64 Gig One Plus One...

Yatango used to be called MobiCity but they changed their name. Back in 2012 I ordered a Sony phone from MobiCity, they are based in the china and the phone I got was an American model. The service seems dodgy, but the shipping was fast and I got my phone. 

Yatango used to be called MobiCity but they changed their name. Back in 2012 I ordered a Sony phone from MobiCity, they are based in the china and the phone I got was an American model. The service seems dodgy, but the shipping was fast and I got my phone. 

Right, that seems to be my big issue with them.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

HTC one MAX:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/Outright-Mobile-Handsets/htc/htc-one-max-4g-silver/514072/

EDIT: should warn it has the telstra rom loaded, so if you are using the aldi pre-paid sim (which I highly recommend) or telstra you'll be fine. but may have issues with other carriers,  worth calling to ask if it is truly unlocked.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.