My WD saga.

JewishBacon

several months ago a buddy of mine gave me an old small 64 GB WD Blue ssd.  after about a week it stopped getting recognized by my pc.  I set up a WD account (not a very user intuitive process, for me at least.) and applied for an RMA, my drive was still  under warranty.  I was not happy when I saw that I would have to pay for the shipping and not get reimbursed for it.  I then had to package this ssd like it was going to the moon. It had to be in an anti static bag, and 2 inches of bubble wrap or foam.  A few weeks after I mailed it I got an email,  it said that WD did not have a replacement drive at this time and they asked if they could refund me instead...but I didnt have the receipt so that was a no go.  I was waiting over a month for this drive and when it finally came it had the same serial number.  shockingly, it didnt work.  so I had to pay for another RMA.  This time it came back less than 3 weeks later with a different SN#.  It worked for about an hour. So This time I sent an ENRAGED email to WD and 24 hours later someone called me at work.  I told him to call me in 30 minutes when I got off.  An hour later he called and he told me I would have to do another RMA since I didnt have the receipt.   While I did say that he was doing fine , I told him that this was most unacceptable and I was VERY unhappy with WD's service. After several more phone calls with my  personal WD rep (whom I later found out was an L2 rep. not sure what that means though...), which he was at least 30 mins late to call me on every phone call, he got clearance for a replacement drive to be sent to me for free, without me having to send the other drive back first.  2 days later I tried to plug in my new drive. It was not recognized. I was so frustrated. I sent him an email telling him to call me on say, Wednesday at 6 my time. Thursday at 8 I got a call from him saying he was going to process my refund that he had just gotten clearance for, for $70 or $80, I don't recall.  I was supposed to get an email for me to accept this refund within the hour, it has been 3 days and I have not gotten an email yet, not once have I even received a customer satisfaction survey or anything.  Im still in the midst of this battle since October, but well see how it plays out.

Most of my computer parts work fine with the exception of these 3

1) The SSD mentioned in the above review

2)my 3 month old WD Blue HDD that has gotten louder than my 3 year old Samsung drive. 

3) my WD N900C router that seems to not allow me to access my cloud storage from my PC. 

Im not sure if I'll be purchasing a WD product any time soon. 

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Hmm, everyone I know with the WD10EZEX has no issues. I find WD to be a good brand. Don't know about their SSDs though.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Hmm, everyone I know with the WD10EZEX has no issues. I find WD to be a good brand. Don't know about their SSDs though.

Everyone says WD is a good brand, but only my NEW wd parts arent working. my 3 y/o ssd from OCZ and my Samsung drive are still chugging just fine. 

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

I got a 320gb blue hdd that's in my old computer for a couple of years and still works.

Everyone says WD is a good brand, but only my NEW wd parts arent working. my 3 y/o ssd from OCZ and my Samsung drive are still chugging just fine. 

Hmm, just unlucky then. I have had good experiences with Hitachi also.

I have two WD10EZEXs, one is from release, and the other is from recently. Never had an issue. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I've had that same HDD for my storage drive for several months now and it's been fine for me.

RMA. Why did you go with a WD SSD? WD are great for HDDs, but not really that popular for their SSDs

There are really only 2 SSD brands you want to be looking at. Samsung if you have a bit more money and Crucial if you have less money.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I went with a WD ssd because it was given to me

As a testament to WD, I'm still using my WD1200BB. Yes, an IDE drive. It's from 2006, it's been on for just over two years, and it has 25 reallocated sectors and it just keeps chugging on. I hate my WD Blue drive though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)