OS for a home server

Speedbird

Hi

I'm looking for a good OS for my home server. I have found Ubuntu Server, (which doesn't work for some reason), FreeNAS and Windows Home Server 2011 (which doesn't receive updates anymore, apparently). Do you have any suggestions? 

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If you want supported, you can try Windows Server 2012. If you want light, try Kubuntu.

EDIT: Whoops, not light, I meant supported.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sort out the issues with Ubuntu Server, imo. Or go to Debian or similar.

If you want light, you can try Windows Server 2012

You mean R2 Essentials? And I don't really know how to use it, haven't really found a beginners guide for it....

You mean R2 Essentials? And I don't really know how to use it, haven't really found a beginners guide for it....

Well, not really. I think you really have no other choice, other than a CLI OS. @MG2R had a guide about a fileserver using Debian CLI.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Any version of windows server if you want simplicity with other windows operating systems on a network!

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

- what exactly are you wanting to do with this home server anyway?

if its just file sharing shove a copy of windows on it and just share a few folders and set permissions correctly !!!

Well, not really. I think you really have no other choice, other than a CLI OS. @MG2R had a guide about a fileserver using Debian CLI.

I'm quite sure that Debian won't work either, if Ubuntu doesn't. Could give it a try tomorrow though.

I actually checked again on WHS2011, and it's supported until 2023. I will use it until I get Ubuntu to work.

- what exactly are you wanting to do with this home server anyway?

if its just file sharing shove a copy of windows on it and just share a few folders and set permissions correctly !!!

Might have to turn it into a Minecraft server too. And I don't really have a copy of Windows to shove on it.

You probably didn't set up GRUB properly.

Check the Ask Ubuntu link, I said that it would open the menu. I also double-checked that I installed it to the hard disk, not the flash drive (unlike what I did several times before).

if you get a eval copy of any version of windows you can do something called "slmgr -rearm" in command prompt up to like 6 times - so once every 180 days and that will keep a eval edition running for like 3 years!

Minecraft server runs fine on windows as well! 

I use the desktop version of Ubuntu 14.04. Works fine although I did have to apply one workaround during the 1st boot (added "nomodeset" to the linux boot command line in Grub), but other than that it works perfect. Processor is an AMD A4-5300 w/ 8GB RAM. No dedicated GPU, just the APU doing everything. Running 8 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 Blu-Ray, 1 DVD. Primarily use it as a Samba server for file shares (movies, music, etc...), I also use TeamViewer for remote connections to it, they have really easy to run installation instructions on their website that worked flawlessly for me.

EDIT - Your blank screen on boot sounds like the same issue that I use the "nomodeset" option to get around:

1.) Hold Left Shift key while powering on until the GRUB boot menu appears

2.) Press 'e' to edit the boot command line

3.) Locate the "Linux..." line (it will have options like "quiet" and "nosplash" in it)

4.) Goto the end of that line, or in-between "quiet nosplash" add "nomodeset" (no quotes)

5.) Press F10 to boot

Once logged in, install the proprietary driver for your graphics device or seek out other help for getting the open source driver to work.

I use the desktop version of Ubuntu 14.04. Works fine although I did have to apply one workaround during the 1st boot (added "nomodeset" to the linux boot command line in Grub), but other than that it works perfect. Processor is an AMD A4-5300 w/ 8GB RAM. No dedicated GPU, just the APU doing everything. Running 8 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 Blu-Ray, 1 DVD. Primarily use it as a Samba server for file shares (movies, music, etc...), I also use TeamViewer for remote connections to it, they have really easy to run installation instructions on their website that worked flawlessly for me.

EDIT - Your blank screen on boot sounds like the same issue that I use the "nomodeset" option to get around:

1.) Hold Left Shift key while powering on until the GRUB boot menu appears

2.) Press 'e' to edit the boot command line

3.) Locate the "Linux..." line (it will have options like "quiet" and "nosplash" in it)

4.) Goto the end of that line, or in-between "quiet nosplash" add "nomodeset" (no quotes)

5.) Press F10 to boot

Once logged in, install the proprietary driver for your graphics device or seek out other help for getting the open source driver to work.

Graphics driver? I'm using a Sempron 145 on an ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX.

Tried it, didn't work. I really wonder what coould it be... What's interesting is that the HDD LED is steady on.

if you get a eval copy of any version of windows you can do something called "slmgr -rearm" in command prompt up to like 6 times - so once every 180 days and that will keep a eval edition running for like 3 years!

Minecraft server runs fine on windows as well! 

or you can get a licence from /r/softwareswap for 10 or so dollar

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

or you can get a licence from /r/softwareswap for 10 or so dollar

yeah but that would most likely be a illegal copy! If your going to get a dodgy copy just go and torrent it!

(also if you are a student check if you have a dreamspark account because then its a lovely free copy of windows 8 full! along with Windows Server 2012 DataCentre)

yeah but that would most likely be a illegal copy! If your going to get a dodgy copy just go and torrent it!

(also if you are a student check if you have a dreamspark account because then its a lovely free copy of windows 8 full! along with Windows Server 2012 DataCentre)

i doubt its illegal quite a lot of keys are sold there and as far as i see i dont see a whole lot of people complaining   

-Adolf Hitler 

i doubt its illegal quite a lot of keys are sold there and as far as i see i dont see a whole lot of people complaining   

"

• Windows 7 - $5
  • Windows 7 Professional - $10
  • Windows 8 - $5
  • Windows 8 Pro - $10
  • Windows 8.1 Standard - $10
  • Windows 8.1 Pro - $15
  • Office 2010 pro plus - $15
  • Office 2013 pro plus - $20 *OUT OF STOCK
  • Visual Studio 13 - $10
  • I can do 25% off for bulk buyers!
  • These keys are all obtained through the MSDN program, And will not expire.
  • Keys are one use, Hence the price.

edit: I do NOT take Paypal due to their Digital goods policy."

This is still not in line with the Microsoft Policy... and is technically illegal MSDN - you arent meant to give out copies of windows if you use TechNet or MSDN they are for yourself or your company only dependant on which version of MSDN you pay for!

"

• Windows 7 - $5
  • Windows 7 Professional - $10
  • Windows 8 - $5
  • Windows 8 Pro - $10
  • Windows 8.1 Standard - $10
  • Windows 8.1 Pro - $15
  • Office 2010 pro plus - $15
  • Office 2013 pro plus - $20 *OUT OF STOCK
  • Visual Studio 13 - $10
  • I can do 25% off for bulk buyers!
  • These keys are all obtained through the MSDN program, And will not expire.
  • Keys are one use, Hence the price.

edit: I do NOT take Paypal due to their Digital goods policy."

This is still not in line with the Microsoft Policy... and is technically illegal MSDN - you arent meant to give out copies of windows if you use TechNet or MSDN they are for yourself or your company only dependant on which version of MSDN you pay for!

hmmm ok well done you win this one :) 

to op even though mr guy above me is right it is still a way to get a key without hassle and for cheap 

-Adolf Hitler 

Try debian or another version of ubuntu server.  In the install tell it to use the whole disk and make sure GRUB is being installed to /dev/sdX

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!