Space Engineers a bit slow?

Heylo,

My PC is running Space Engineers a bit slowly. I'm not on high settings, just running at 1080p, with fullscreen on, normal graphics settings. When I have a complex-ish world (lots of entities) my game runs fairly slowly (looks like about 25-30FPS).

CPU - FX-6300

GPU - Sapphire 7790 2GB

I just flew around the world for a bit, and my CPU and GPU temps never went about 60°C, according to HWMonitor. The game is in Alpha, so it isn't optimised as well as it can be, but I would have thought it would have been running better, seeing as my temps aren't too high? Any ideas?

Thanks

-snip-

well, does it run normally when not looking around a complex world?

if it runs fine in simple worlds, then it's just that your gpu or cpu are hitting their performance limit

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

It is an early access game, enough said.

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

well, does it run normally when not looking around a complex world?

if it runs fine in simple worlds, then it's just that your gpu or cpu are hitting their performance limit

Yeah it does run fine. Are you sure? I didn't know my CPU/GPU were that bad? Also, wouldn't they get hotter if they were hitting their limit?

Also I think it is quite CPU intensive as since swapping my FX-6300 for a i5-4670K games in general have ran better, I will try this game when I get off work.

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

Yeah it does run fine. Are you sure? I didn't know my CPU/GPU were that bad? Also, wouldn't they get hotter if they were hitting their limit?

uhh...well...how do I put this...

A 7790 is not a powerful card at all, it's the same core (i think) as an R7 260x. so...yeah... that should give you an idea of where it sits relative to the current cards

And no, a card does not necessarily have to run hot when under full load, the 7790 is a pretty low tdp card, so it won't get hot at all, at least compared to the 290/x or 280/x

Edit: also, the processor is pretty average, so it could be the limiting factor in this case 

Edit2: and It's the case with all gpu's that looking at more complex environments would of course drop the frame rate quite a bit, except it won't be as noticeable on higher end cards.

Your card might be pulling 30-40 fps in simple environments, but then 20-30 in complex environments (examples purely illustrative, not factual) whereas a higher end card might be pulling 60-70 fps in a simple environment but drop to 50-60 fps in a complex environment, and the difference of 10 fps at higher framerates is less noticeable than difference of 10 fps at lower framerates

The game like I said is early access and I have exactly the same issue when in reasonably complex worlds, if anything remotely small happens in the game I find I get large FPS drops so it is not just you. It's extremely bad when In worlds with large constructions that really shouldn't be that demanding but oh well. I will say though it has been improving in recent patches!

Also I think it is quite CPU intensive as since swapping my FX-6300 for a i5-4670K games in general have ran better, I will try this game when I get off work.

Thank you, just post your results on this topic if you can

uhh...well...how do I put this...

A 7790 is not a powerful card at all, it's the same core (i think) as an R7 260x. so...yeah... that should give you an idea of where it sits relative to the current cards

And no, a card does not necessarily have to run hot when under full load, the 7790 is a pretty low tdp card, so it won't get hot at all, at least compared to the 290/x or 280/x

Edit: also, the processor is pretty average, so it could be the limiting factor in this case 

Ok. Well im going to Broadwell/GTX800 next year so ill be interested my performance increase then, plus the added optimization patches. Also, do you know if a 450W PSU will be enough to run a decent GTX 800 card? Apparently they're supposed to be more efficient. Like a GTX 760/770 refresh card. a.k.a. GTX 860, 870

Ok. Well im going to Broadwell/GTX800 next year so ill be interested my performance increase then, plus the added optimization patches. Also, do you know if a 450W PSU will be enough to run a decent GTX 800 card? Apparently they're supposed to be more efficient. Like a GTX 760/770 refresh card. a.k.a. GTX 860, 870

well, I certainly hope the 800 series is not a refresh of the 700 series, considering the 700 series was a refresh of the 600 series...

But 450w is probably enough, with a bit of headroom for light overclocking (assuming 860/850) 

well, I certainly hope the 800 series is not a refresh of the 700 series, considering the 700 series was a refresh of the 600 series...

But 450w is probably enough, with a bit of headroom for light overclocking (assuming 860/850) 

Apparently they were moving to 22nm, so new chipset? And Broadwell is moving to 14nm right?

Apparently they were moving to 22nm, so new chipset? And Broadwell is moving to 14nm right?

yeah, 800 is supposed to be a new core (so no more gk104 or gk110)

not too sure on the manufacturing process though

yeah, 800 is supposed to be a new core (so no more gk104 or gk110)

not too sure on the manufacturing process though

Ok, it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I will probably be upgrading to the 800 series as well as I am currently running the GTX 660 SC edition which is just about okay with new games at 1080p on high. I will test the performance in space engineers around 6PM as I get off work at 5PM.

I will probably be upgrading to the 800 series as well as I am currently running the GTX 660 SC edition which is just about okay with new games at 1080p on high. I will test the performance in space engineers around 6PM as I get off work at 5PM.

Ok, Ill check it out tommorrow, gonna hop off for the day. Would an aftermarket cooler (Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Deepcool/Assassin/ ) improve performance?

Turn off v-sync, game likes to get weird with that on.

I found I actually had to turn v-sync on. without it my frame rate was in the hundreds with settings maxed, and the game felt slow and choppy.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR