My experience switching to Linux

For some reason, opensuse is only recognizing 7.7 gb of my 8gb of ram.

That's normal

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

That's normal

So, what's going on with the other 300mb?

It's reserved.  My laptop shows 3.7GB usable but then free -m shows 3.8GB.  You shouldn't worry about it

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

[08/09/14 22:39:40] - Running wine-1.3.28 --version (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/wine/gecko)

wine-1.3.28

PlayOnLinux logfile

-------------------

Date: 08/09/14 22:39:40

> PlayOnLinux Version

> uname -a

Linux linux-mcp3 3.11.10-17-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 16 15:28:13 UTC 2014 (fba7c1f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> lsb_release -a

> wine --version

wine-1.3.28

> POL_WINEVERSION

> WINEPREFIX

/home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/daorigins

> Distribution

openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)

> glxinfo \| grep rendering

direct rendering: Yes

> glxinfo \| grep renderer

OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series  

> OpenGL libs (Direct rendering testing)

32bits direct rendering is enabled

64bits direct rendering is enabled

[08/09/14 22:39:51] - Running wine-1.3.28 cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/wine/gecko)

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

C:\Program Files

[08/09/14 22:40:05] - ----- Starting function POL_Install_steam -----

[08/09/14 22:40:05] - Running wine-1.3.28 cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/tmp)

C:\Program Files

[08/09/14 22:40:09] - ----- Starting function POL_Install_corefonts -----

[08/09/14 22:40:09] - ----- Starting function POL_Internal_InstallFonts -----

[08/09/14 22:40:55] - ----- Ending function POL_Internal_InstallFonts -----

[08/09/14 22:40:55] - ----- Ending function POL_Install_corefonts -----

[08/09/14 22:40:55] - ----- Starting function POL_Function_FontsSmoothRGB -----

[08/09/14 22:40:55] - Running wine-1.3.28 regedit /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/fontsaa.reg (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/tmp)

[08/09/14 22:40:55] - Content of /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/fontsaa.reg

-----------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"FontSmoothing"="2"

"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002

"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578

"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001

-----------

[08/09/14 22:40:56] - ----- Ending function POL_Function_FontsSmoothRGB -----

[08/09/14 22:40:57] - Running wine-1.3.28 SteamSetup.exe (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/ressources)

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Unknown error (127).

err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window

Unknown error (127).

[08/09/14 22:41:01] - Running wine-1.3.28 regedit /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/override-dll.reg (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/ressources)

[08/09/14 22:41:01] - Content of /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/override-dll.reg

-----------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides]

"*dwrite"=""

-----------

[08/09/14 22:41:01] - ----- Ending function POL_Install_steam -----

[08/09/14 22:41:02] - ----- Starting function POL_Install_steam_flags -----

[08/09/14 22:41:02] - ----- Ending function POL_Install_steam_flags -----

[08/09/14 22:41:02] - Running wine-1.3.28 start /unix steam.exe steam://install/17450 (Working directory : /home/bartosik/.PlayOnLinux/tmp)

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

Unknown error (127).

err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window

Unknown error (127).

Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.

ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found

I get an error saying wine has crashed every time I attempt to install something with playonlinux. This is the output of the playonlinux.log file. Anyone know what to make of any of this?

From reading the log, the relevant error seems to be the missing libSM.so.6. The first search result I get from google reveals that installing this package, "lib32-libsm", might help.

I think it has something to do with gigabytes and gibibytes not being the same. Not sure though.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

That's it, I give up. I've tried just about every distro that I've been told is superior to ubuntu over the past few days, and none of them have worked properly, even with hours put into tracking down and fixing various errors. Hardcore linux gurus will frown on this, but I'm going to give a mcdistro a try, specifically, Zorin 9.

So apparently in order to designate your primary monitor in Gnome 3 you have to click and drag a tiny, unlabeled black bar in the display settings manager from one monitor to another. While I could overlook some errors in judgment like this, Linux OSs seem to be full of such ridicules and counter-intuitive methods. I'm beginning to suspect that the linux dev community has a terrible case of group-think, with distros that purport to be noob friendly pouring unnecessary time and effort into features like an easy installer and having lots of pre packaged applications, (which I almost always just end up replacing anyway) and completely ignoring many aspects that Windows and OSX users consider a part of basic functionality.

On a positive note, I've really been enjoying Zorin so far, though I had to replace the default desktop with Gnome. The Ubuntu software center is really leaps and bounds ahead of the package distribution system of any other distro.

I have at least three times tried linux, ran into countless issues, given up and reverted to windows.

Until a few months ago the Xonar DSX didn't have linux drivers, it took ages to figure out that I had to enable IOMMU in the BIOS to get internet working, fglrx doesn't work (main monitor only shows black screen) and the standard driver has tearing all over the place and doesn't scroll properly, fan control is done with a CLI app that's a pain in the butt to change one setting in (pwmcontrol I believe) and there isn't a single good hardware monitor.

If I quit playing BF3 by the time Chrome v37 comes out of Beta and Ubuntu 14.10 releases. I may make the switch to Linux as my daily driver as well.

Currently using Arch Linux as my daily driver on my desktop and laptop. Guild Wars 2 is the only game I played regularly, and worked well on PlayonLinux until I installed Pulseaudio to get Skype working. Windows still has a 60GB partition for worst-case scenarios. 

I've come up with a more elegant solution, allowing me to use Arch Linux as my daily driver, but instantly be able to switch to Windows:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox_Arch_Linux_Guest_On_Physical_Drive#Native_Arch_Linux_installation_inside_VirtualBox

Native Linux gaming is still fine on Steam, for games that support it. It's just a few games I find myself missing. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

How difficult can it be to search "how to set primary display gnome" on Google and follow instructions? Anyway, realize that bad Linux device driver support/availability is the fault of the device manufacturer, solely.

If you're lucky an unpaid Linux contributor decided to take time out of his day to write a driver for your device from scratch so you could complain that it's not as good as the drivers the manufacturer actually spent resources on developing for Windows.

How difficult can it be to search "how to set primary display gnome" on Google and follow instructions? Anyway, realize that bad Linux device driver support/availability is the fault of the device manufacturer, solely.

I shouldn't have to do so in the first place. Not to mention the fact that most of the links displayed for that search instructed me to change it using xrandr or by editing a config file.

If you're lucky an unpaid Linux contributor decided to take time out of his day to write a driver for your device from scratch so you could complain that it's not as good as the drivers the manufacturer actually spent resources on developing for Windows.

Most of my devices are non-functional with the open source drivers. I would love to live in a world where everything is FOSS, but in order to have linux as my primary OS I have to actually be able to use it. I understand that many of my posts of this thread are just me ranting about the flaws I'm finding in various linux distros, this is because the positive aspects of linux tend to be universal across nearly all distros, and go without saying, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with this in the first place.

What are the devices? Again, don't you think it's reasonable to place some blame on your device manufacturer for not spending a dime on Linux driver development rather than criticizing open source contributors for using their free time to attempt to do what the device manufacturer should have done?

What are the devices? Again, don't you think it's reasonable to place some blame on your device manufacturer for not spending a dime on Linux driver development rather than criticizing open source contributors for using their free time to attempt to do what the device manufacturer should have done?

I hope SteamOS comes soon so fglrx will be fixed and someone improves conky or gkrellm so I can properly monitor my hardware in a way that is also somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

I hope SteamOS comes soon so fglrx will be fixed and someone improves conky or gkrellm so I can properly monitor my hardware in a way that is also somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

i love GKrellM  :lol:

i use it on all my machines (even on the windows)  :ph34r:

here is for Linux (just use the software center and find it) http://billw2.github.io/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

and here for Windows http://www.srcbox.net/projects/gkrellm/

Again, don't you think it's reasonable to place some blame on your device manufacturer for not spending a dime on Linux driver development rather than criticizing open source contributors for using their free time to attempt to do what the device manufacturer should have done?

FGLRX has so far worked fine for me once it’s been installed. I'm not out to bash the opensource amd driver here, (in fact, I don't recall complaining about it at all in this thread until you mentioned it) I would be perfectly happy using it if it suited my needs; however it doesn’t so I don't.

I really like Unity. Does that mean there's something wrong with me?

I've used Unity in school so there isn't anything wrong with you, as more tech programs are introduced to schools coding won't be much of a weird thing anymore.

I mean the desktop environment everyone seems to hate, not the game engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that linux just doesn't suit my needs on the desktop. It's back to winderps on my main machine, however I've installed Elementary OS on my laptop, which will be seeing extensive use soon due to my entrance into college.